Indicator

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Indicator

#251 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:37 am

What is this 4-film John Alton set and how did I miss it?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#252 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:43 am

And what tote?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#253 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:50 am

If you got the email, it--ahem--indicates that you get one if you preorder the Fuller set direct from them (while supplies last):

It also has this hint for a future release:

jazzo

#254 Post by jazzo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:53 am

swo17 wrote:What is this 4-film John Alton set and how did I miss it?
I'm not positive, but I believe the reference was to the recently released Classic Flix Mann/Noir collection.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#255 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:55 am

That's what I thought at first, but it's only three films.

JSC

#256 Post by JSC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:09 pm

But then so would a box set of, say, Breathless, Masculin Feminin, Wind from the East,
First Name Carmen and Goodbye to Language. Or throwing The Sex Thief into a collection of
Martin Campbell's James Bond films.

Obviously, the Alton set revolves around a certain type of cinematography carried out within
a certain genre, and it's a plausible supposition that purchasers will appreciate all four films.
Actually, I'd like to see a cinematographer's box set in the same vein of an actor/director
collaboration like Herzog/Kinski. But then I was just imagining a...Karl Fruend box set that
includes Metropolis AND his I Love Lucy episodes!

The notion of what defines an 'auteur' is always tricky. I like to think of a film as the
product of some kind of singular vision. And while you can certainly say this about the
films of (for example) Stan Brakhage as the work of an individual, the collaborative effort
that defines larger-scale filmmaking tends to muddy the waters. I like to look at the Alan
Clarke set from the BFI as an interesting example. Although Clarke is the constant figure
it's usually the writer who gets the prominent credit. Or with The Singing Detective,
should I regard the writer Dennis Potter or director Jon Amiel as the principle author?

Dr Amicus

#257 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Isn't that hint a still from the Hammer / Losey The Damned?

Re Auteurism - isn't there a Robin Wood piece which argues that a Director is not necessarily the prime-auteur of a film and then lists, inter alia, Jerome Moross as the Auteur of The Big Country?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#258 Post by domino harvey » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:41 pm

Okay, as you can all see, we now have an Indicator Forum! Please be patient over the next couple days as swo and I go through this thread and start parsing out new dedicated threads for all titles

MichaelB

#259 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:50 am

Similarly, I'm going through the various threads making sure that the specs are the final retail ones - Indicator quite often lives up to the MORE TBC promise at the end.