13 The Silence of the Lambs

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 13 The Silence of the Lambs

#51 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am

If you're going to adjust for inflation, why not also for the cost of materials, market conditions, etc.?

McCrutchy

#52 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:57 am

Morbii wrote:
McCrutchy wrote:Back up now for the same price.

Like I said, I fully expect this to be one of Criterion's top sellers for 2018, but even I couldn't have guessed there would be websites outbidding one another for pre-orders at 54% off.
Which is still more expensive than a Criterion flash sale (counting points) or a B&N sale (with membership that is used enough that it negates the price).
?

$18.31 is less than $19.99, and even if you have Criterion.com gift certificates, you still pay $19.99 out of the certificate. Even the in-store Barnes and Noble member discount only gets you to $17.99, which is $0.32 cheaper, but is likely negated by making the trip to the store.

In any event, this could all be academic, as the Amazon listing is again inactive.
swo17 wrote:If you're going to adjust for inflation, why not also for the cost of materials, market conditions, etc.?
If you know that stuff, you're welcome to analyze further. I just did some quick research and used an online inflation calculator. :)

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#53 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:02 am

Was very entertaining, McCrutchy.

Morbii

#54 Post by Morbii » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 am

McCrutchy wrote:
$18.31 is less than $19.99, and even if you have Criterion.com gift certificates, you still pay $19.99 out of the certificate. Even the in-store Barnes and Noble member discount only gets you to $17.99, which is $0.32 cheaper, but is likely negated by making the trip to the store.
The Criterion points are effectively a 10% discount, as long as you aren’t a 1-off customer.

Due to no tax, the criterion sale is the cheapest for me, aside from occasional insane deals like Amazon did for Othello.

dwk

#55 Post by dwk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:07 pm

djproject

#56 Post by djproject » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:29 pm

*B&B chuckle/snicker*

FrauBlucher

#57 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 am

flyonthewall2983

#58 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 am

Interesting how all the extras from the MGM discs are all on the 2nd disc. I wonder if this means there will be a pared-down 1-disc version in the future.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#59 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 am

I don't recall a Criterion release ever being re-released in a lighter version.

Banasa

#60 Post by Banasa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:05 am

tenia wrote:I don't recall a Criterion release ever being re-released in a lighter version.
There was a smaller release of Brazil on DVD from the giant box if I recall right.

djproject

#61 Post by djproject » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:13 am

Banasa wrote:
tenia wrote:I don't recall a Criterion release ever being re-released in a lighter version.
There was a smaller release of Brazil on DVD from the giant box if I recall right.
The Last Emperor also received a similar trim-down (4 discs to 1).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#62 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 am

Should have precised "BD release" but true, there were trimmed-down DVD releases in the past.

djproject

#63 Post by djproject » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:05 am

FrauBlucher wrote:bluray.com
Or having an old friend for dinner.

zedz

#64 Post by zedz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:59 pm

tenia wrote:Should have precised "BD release" but true, there were trimmed-down DVD releases in the past.
That's what The Last Emperor was too. The BD loses the longer version of the film.

The original DVD and BD / reissue versions of The Tin Drum are quite different and complementary, with different versions of the film and different features. The extras on the original DVD run several hours longer than those on the reissue.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#65 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

But has there been a BD release that was then re-released on BD in a smaller release ? Your Last Emperor is a comparison with the DVD release.

zedz

#66 Post by zedz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:14 pm

tenia wrote:But has there been a BD release that was then re-released on BD in a smaller release ? Your Last Emperor is a comparison with the DVD release.
Sorry, I was just reading your post as it was quoted, and I thought you were taking issue with the Brazil example because it was DVD vs DVD instead of DVD vs BD. The extraction of individual discs from BD sets (e.g. Demy) is the closest we've got to that, I believe, but there have been so few reissues of BDs to date that I don't think there's much we can draw in the way of conclusions.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#67 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Yeah, I'm really focusing on BD vs BD re-release in the present case.
I really miswrote this in my very first post.
zedz wrote:there have been so few reissues of BDs to date that I don't think there's much we can draw in the way of conclusions.
That's probably part of it, you're right.

kcota17

#68 Post by kcota17 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:13 am

Did anyone notice the glaring error in the booklet in the beginning of the first essay (page 11) that says SOTL was the second film to win the Big Five at the Oscars?

It’s surprising that that was able to get by unnoticed.

4LOM

#69 Post by 4LOM » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:08 am

kcota17 wrote:Did anyone notice the glaring error in the booklet in the beginning of the first essay (page 11) that says SOTL was the second film to win the Big Five at the Oscars?

But it was the second film after IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT to win the Big Five at the Oscars.

ng4996
the Wizard of Ozu

#70 Post by ng4996 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:37 am

4LOM wrote:
kcota17 wrote:Did anyone notice the glaring error in the booklet in the beginning of the first essay (page 11) that says SOTL was the second film to win the Big Five at the Oscars?

But it was the second film after IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT to win the Big Five at the Oscars.
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was the 2nd

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#71 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:41 am

Yes, but the second film after IHON would be the third overall

PfR73

#72 Post by PfR73 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Here are some observations from trying to thoroughly compare the extras of various releases (original Criterion DVD, MGM Collector's Edition DVD, MGM Blu-Ray, & Criterion Blu-Ray).

1) No single release has a complete amount of the deleted scene footage. As pointed out earlier in the thread, the original Criterion DVD & the MGM releases did not have the same set of deleted scenes. Each release had some completely unique scenes, and they also had some scenes in common, although even those often contained different angles/takes to be different edits of the same deleted scene.

The Criterion Blu-Ray has mostly combined the footage from those previous releases, however it is not a complete combination. It is completely missing one brief deleted scene from the MGM releases, labeled as "Buffalo Bill Sews (excerpts)."

In addition, for scenes that the original Criterion DVD & MGM releases had in common, the Criterion Blu-Ray has re-edited the scenes, trying to combine as much footage as possible; however, this means that some scenes, especially "Clarice Gets Suspended" have 3 different edits of the same scene across the releases, with unique footage being left on both previous releases.

The transfer of the MGM deleted scenes was of higher quality than the Criterion DVD. Where they have overlapping footage, the Criterion Blu-Ray mostly uses the higher quality MGM footage, but not 100% of the time.

The only footage I noticed that is unique to the Criterion Blu-Ray is a brief extension at the end of "Brother Jim with The Word" of Jim Roche receiving some applause.

Previous releases labeled the scenes and allowed them to be selected individually, while the Criterion Blu-Ray lumps all the footage together as one video file, which also includes the "outtakes" & "Anthony Hopkins phone message" that were separate videos on the MGM releases.

2) The Storyboards featurettes on the Criterion DVD & Blu-Ray are different:

The Criterion DVD had several still galleries & a 4-minute video storyboard-to-film comparison of Lecter's escape.
The Criterion Blu-Ray has a different 4-minute storyboard video, a slideshow of storyboards from various scenes set to audio from the film.

3) The Criterion Blu-Ray is missing about 10 seconds of footage of Foster, Hopkins, & Demme at the Academy Awards from the Bravo "Page to Screen" documentary. The MGM releases contained this footage, I assume cut out due to licensing issues?

4) Compared to the MGM DVD, the MGM Blu-Ray & Criterion Blu-Ray have a version of the "Inside The Labyrinth" documentary that has been altered in an annoying way. Even though all 3 releases present the documentary as a single, full-length piece, both Blu-Rays have the documentary's end credits appear 3 times, twice during the documentary itself (effectively breaking it into 3 pieces). Fadeouts have been added to transition to the credits each time they appear, that cut out very brief moments of the documentary footage. Minor, but just an annoying way to present the feature.

5) The MGM Blu-Ray & Criterion Blu-Ray present the "Scoring the Silence" featurette at the correct NTSC running time. On the MGM DVD, it suffered from PAL speed-up.

6) The Criterion Blu-Ray lacks all the extensive text & still galleries from the original Criterion DVD, along with a different still gallery from the MGM DVD, and the "Breaking the Silence" Picture-in-Picture feature, TV Spots, & Teaser Trailer from the MGM Blu-Ray (the DVD also had the TV Spots & Teaser).

The Criterion Blu-Ray is obviously the best release overall, but if you are a completist, there is reason to hang on to the original Criterion DVD & MGM Blu-Ray. The one unique feature on the MGM DVD is the still gallery.

Costa

#73 Post by Costa » Sun May 06, 2018 12:41 am

So, still no indication of this coming to Europe.. :-(
I wonder if I should give up and buy the Criterion.

colinr0380

#74 Post by colinr0380 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:22 am

That's a great breakdown PfR73! It is amazing how complicated different features on different editions of the same film can get sometimes!

flyonthewall2983

#75 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Finally watched this from beginning to end. Liked it more than I thought I would, but still think Manhunter is better and that Hannibal wasn't an unworthy sequel.