The Armond White Thread

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.

Big Ben

Re: The Armond White Thread

#1302 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Amusing that he calls Nolan apolitical when it is a documented fact that he contributed to Barack Obama's presidential campaign.

Also from what I've seen of Nolan nihilistic isn't correct either.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1303 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm

He's like a compass always pointing the south.

bottled spider

#1304 Post by bottled spider » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Life's short, and there are some words I just won't read past anymore, such as "fanboy".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1305 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:08 pm

At this point, if he wants to retain his "shock," he needs to start praising things everyone else likes

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1306 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:28 pm

tenia wrote:He's like a compass always pointing the south.
Except when he's actually _facing_ south.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1307 Post by Rayon Vert » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:02 am

And Metropolis is from 1927, not '25.

hearthesilence

#1309 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 pm

It's for the National Review. The guy knows his audience.

JabbaTheSlut

#1310 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 pm

What the hell is wrong with the people?

Dead or Deader

#1311 Post by Dead or Deader » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Armond has defended James Toback against the "Lynch-mobbers," calling him one of the most honest directors in America. Forget his banal schtick for just a second, White is defending a serial rapist/harasser who's called out against repeated offenders as being "cocksuckers" or "cunts". He's truly sunken to a new low with this defense.

Big Ben

#1312 Post by Big Ben » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:44 pm

He did it when the allegations first came to light too. He published an old interview in defense of him. Why Armond thought this somehow absolved Toback of guilt is beyond me. White's Twitter feed is a WILD ride if you're curious.

hearthesilence

#1313 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm

It's a bit fascinating to see what Armond White used to be like as a writer and what he's become. I imagine this Elvis Costello-loving critic is the same Armond White. And according to Greil Marcus, when Paul Simon's boycott-breaking Graceland was released, "Armond White wrote at the time—not an exact quote—“'Paul Simon had the right to say anything he wanted to say about South Africa on Graceland except what he did say: nothing.'”

gcgiles1dollarbin

#1314 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Isn't this review the second time he has invoked My Man Godfrey as owing its sparkling wit to "a psychological framework of personal responsibility"? Because that's the only reason I watch it: to encourage my bootstrap-lifting.

EDIT: Sorry, old news. I probably read this in October.

Perkins Cobb

#1315 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:14 pm

New lows might seem difficult for Armond these days, but he's presently getting ratioed for a "crisis actor" tweet on the Parkland shooting.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1316 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 pm

What does ratioed mean? It is fucking sickening that some loonies are calling the survivors of this tragedy "crisis actors" and on top of that, it's an implied insult to teenagers-- I've worked with teens for years and guess what? They're bright, not stupid, care about things, and know how to use social media. It is unsurprising in the least that some of these kids have gained public traction in the wake of the shooting

jbeall

#1317 Post by jbeall » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:What does ratioed mean? It is fucking sickening that some loonies are calling the survivors of this tragedy "crisis actors" and on top of that, it's an implied insult to teenagers-- I've worked with teens for years and guess what? They're bright, not stupid, care about things, and know how to use social media. It is unsurprising in the least that some of these kids have gained public traction in the wake of the shooting
This X10. (Thank you.)

I have no further comment on the troll employed by the National Review who's apparently getting paid to regurgitate talking points from Russian bots. How very contrarian.

knives

#1318 Post by knives » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 pm

MongooseCmr

#1319 Post by MongooseCmr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 pm

I guess this confirms once and for all that Armand isn’t just an individualist/contrarian or doing criticism as performance art, but really is a delusional lunatic. I never considered him as a conspiracy theorist but it makes too much sense now.

Perkins Cobb

#1320 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:57 am

Yeah, sorry, guess I'm on Twitter too much. In practice it means people are jumping all over him (cathartically so, in this case) rather than indicating agreement.

Edit: Meanwhile, during my nap, Armond doubled down and posted "proof" (a link to some rightwing claptrap) that one of the kids is a fake. Wish I could say I was surprised.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1321 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:04 am

Yes. Mr. White has, at long last, gone irretrievably from the loony side to the (utterly) dark side. Not content with stupidity he has moved on to outright evil...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1322 Post by Drucker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:07 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:
Yeah, sorry, guess I'm on Twitter too much. In practice it means people are jumping all over him (cathartically so, in this case) rather than indicating agreement.

Edit: Meanwhile, during my nap, Armond doubled down and posted "proof" (a link to some rightwing claptrap) that one of the kids is a fake. Wish I could say I was surprised.
Ratio means more people are replying to your tweet than liking it, generally meaning that they are telling you your tweet sucks. More here.

dx23

#1323 Post by dx23 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 am

I never understood the line of thinking of people like Armond and right wing conspiracy theorists like him. So Deep State is smart enough to do these "fake massacres" but dumb enough to recast the same actors over and over in all of them? Of course, I shouldn't expect these assholes to have any common sense and dignity.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1324 Post by cdnchris » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 am

There's one guy I used to work with who was easily one of the stupidest people I had ever met and how he got a job as a developer I'll never know, but he started insisting that Sandy Hook was a hoax and that all of the survivors were crisis actors. In fairness, though, I think it was his way of dealing with it. When the news first came out I recall him being extremely bothered by it, genuinely upset about it. I think his latching onto the conspiracy was a way to deal with it: pretend it just didn't happen at all. He never showed any extreme political leaning but he really did latch onto the conspiracy and never let up on it. I put that down to maybe a sort of empathy, though he was still incredibly stupid.

As to these other nut jobs it's probably something similar though far more nefarious: as long as they don't have to accept what happened they can continue living in their little bubble and they don't have to change any of their thinking. The world is still as it was, facts be damned!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1325 Post by tenia » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:30 am

Screw these facts screwing the world we're living in ! So much simpler if all was just a conspiracy instead of us having to, you know, actually do stuff to try and avoid future similar issues !