Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#176 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:52 pm

It looks like you can once again place an order for the 5-film Jan Svankmajer BD collection (now $170 + shipping), until the campaign closes on February 19th. It also looks like the set's release has been moved up from December to September.

MichaelB

#177 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:22 am

Nobody who knows me even vaguely will be surprised to hear that I signed up to this Indiegogo campaign within minutes of it going live.

Rather scarily, I've been a friend and occasional colleague of the author for nearly 29 years, so I've known for ages that she was writing what should be the definitive history of London's legendary Scala cinema (which she programmed from 1988-91), and I would have bought the book on day one even if it had consisted purely of text. But provided they hit their target they're attempting something far more ambitious that includes full reproductions of every single one of the cinema's legendary programmes, the vast majority of which I'd have seen at the time, so for me the nostalgia factor is off the scale.

I dread to think how big and heavy the end result will be (the last FAB Press crowdfunder I contributed to was for Stephen Thrower's Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci, which is one of the largest books I own), but it should be more than justified by the content. And anyone who invested in that project will know that it was an absolutely textbook example of how to do this sort of thing properly, with regular, detailed updates that never once became overbearing or just full of empty filler, and an end product that more than justified the investment.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#178 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:26 pm

MichaelB wrote: Rather scarily, I've been a friend and occasional colleague of the author for nearly 29 years, so I've known for ages that she was writing what should be the definitive history of London's legendary Scala cinema (which she programmed from 1988-91), and I would have bought the book on day one even if it had consisted purely of text. But provided they hit their target they're attempting something far more ambitious that includes full reproductions of every single one of the cinema's legendary programmes, the vast majority of which I'd have seen at the time, so for me the nostalgia factor is off the scale.
The Scala looms big in my ancient history too. I started Film School in Riding House street in 1981 and the Scala then in nearby Tottenham street was my second home before it re-located to Kings X. I may also have the dubious distinction of having played with my band 'The Big Combo' in both venues.
I will be available for signing sessions after publication

MichaelB

#179 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm

...and to nobody’s surprise, the Scala book is happening - but the crowdfunder is still open for another 25 days or so.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#180 Post by soundchaser » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Title designer Dan Perri is crowdfunding a book about his work on Indiegogo.

neilist

#181 Post by neilist » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Alejandro Jodorowsky is crowdfunding towards his latest film* 'Psychomagic - An Art That Heals'. It's currently 61% towards completion, with 39 days to go (ends April 22).

*'With the film Psychomagic, an art that heals, Alejandro wants to go further than ever before, transcending fiction by filming reality, but a heightened reality, magical and healing. There will not be any actors, only real people that have expressed their suffering and their will to heal from it.'

dda1996a

#183 Post by dda1996a » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:12 am

This is a rather silly question, but do 32 pages written in longand translate into a much longer typed book?

Roger Ryan

#184 Post by Roger Ryan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:29 am

dda1996a wrote:This is a rather silly question, but do 32 pages written in longand translate into a much longer typed book?
I would say the opposite; unless the text is significantly oversized, a type-set page will usually be more compact than the same material written out in longhand. From the description for the crowd-funding campaign, it sounds like the book will be expanded with additional analysis, illustrations and photos.

dda1996a

#185 Post by dda1996a » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:28 am

That's what I assumed but it said his autobiography included a lot of material that seems way to large to fit into 32 pages. Anyway I might get this, sounds interesting.

Gregory

#186 Post by Gregory » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 pm

I was not a backer of Kino's First Women Filmmakers project, but they posted an update on 3/7. Is anyone on the forum who is a backer able to pass along any relevant info in that update?

Askew

#187 Post by Askew » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Gregory wrote:I was not a backer of Kino's First Women Filmmakers project, but they posted an update on 3/7. Is anyone on the forum who is a backer able to pass along any relevant info in that update?
It says that most of the films have been scanned and are now in the process of dirt and scratch removal. The films are also currently being scored (exclusively by women composers). Apparently some of the films are now more complete than they were before the project started. Some of the films will be screening in New York in July and the bluray set is looking at a possible September/October release date, but nothing is confirmed. The set has gone from being a 5 disc set to a 6 disc set due to the amount of money raised and how much material they had in the archives.

dda1996a

#189 Post by dda1996a » Tue May 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Again? I would love to support him but he's asking far too much for these trilogies...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#190 Post by swo17 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:09 pm

These three are all on Blu-ray already

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#191 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 pm

You could seriously buy all three of these new for about $30 total too, what a crock

Glowingwabbit

#192 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:You could seriously buy all three of these new for about $30 total too, what a crock
I agree he's asking too much, but don't all 3 have bare bones Olive releases (not sure if the quality is even good on those)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#193 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Simple Men is only out via Artificial Eye

colinr0380

#194 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:46 pm

The latest Kickstarter by Edward Lorusso is for Dinty, from 1920, which features an early uncredited role for Anna May Wong.

Cash Flagg

#195 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue May 29, 2018 11:05 am

Kier-La Janisse's upcoming book on Monty Hellman's Cockfighter

In her third book as an author, Kier-La Janisse (HOUSE OF PSYCHOTIC WOMEN) explores the intersection of Southern Gothic, ritual masculinity and second wave feminism in Monte Hellman's 1974 film COCKFIGHTER with a combination of cultural criticism and production history, while also examining in detail the Charles Willeford novel and the controversial bloodsport that inspired it.

Perks include copies of the book autographed by Hellman and Roger Corman, plus belt buckles and a Warren Oates tote!

McCrutchy

#196 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 pm

ClassicFlix wants to bring the 1957 TV series Blondie to Blu-ray in a special edition with bonus features.

This was already posted in the thread about pre-2000 TV on Blu-ray, but I'm going to cross-post it here just to make sure as many people see it as possible. Apparently, when ClassicFlix went to release this on DVD, they found the current SD masters unacceptable, and so commissioned a 2K test scan of the original 35mm elements.

The results can be previewed in this YouTube video here, and obviously, the image looks fantastic.

I'm a huge fan of 35mm television, and I would really like to see this happen. Unfortunately, it is US-only, but copies are just $30 each, with other perks if you pay more.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#197 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Used to watch reruns of it when I was a kid. Admire the fact that someone wants to take on something so niche, but I don't remember enjoying it very much at the time, so I can't imagine it'd hold up very well now.

Yakushima

#198 Post by Yakushima » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:00 am

The "Bathtime in Clerkenwell" was an absolute nuthouse of fun and frenetic avian madness, telling the story of the great revolution of cuckoos, leaving their weight-driven wall clocks and taking over London. Film won numerous international awards. And now its creator, the fantastic Alex Budovsky is crowdfunding a sequel, “Bathwell in Clerkentime”. Don't miss!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bath ... -animation#/

If you are not familiar with his films, all of Alex's work to date is on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/user11354572/collections

McCrutchy

#199 Post by McCrutchy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Regarding the Kickstarter campaign for the Blondie (1957) TV series. There has now been a second update with new unrestored footage from ClassicFlix:
Hi All,

Thanks to all who've pledged and spread the word thus far!

With 9 days to go, we have over $3,500 raised, but we'll need your help if we're going to hit the $20K goal to bring Blondie to Blu. Share it on social media, forums, via text, email, whatever you can do do make this release a reality!

Below you'll find a fresh scan of the seventh episode "Husband Once Removed". You'll notice a commercial for "Pamper" shampoo which doesn't currently have sound. Locating and syncing the sound, and adding it as bonus material is one of the goals of this campaign-- aside from having this wonderful, almost unseen series in crisp, sparkling high definition.

So share our campaign today, and Bring Blondie to Blu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9YbHZF_hM

The Pamper shampoo ad looks really great.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#200 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:26 pm

I mean, I'm amazed $3500 was raised for something almost no one wants