It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2086 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 am 

Social media manager is a legit job. I think maybe in 2018 we could retire the unpaid intern idea?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:50 am 

Criterion tweeted this....
Quote:
Joel and Ethan Coen's 2007 Cormac McCarthy adaptation NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is now streaming as part of award-winning memoirist and poet Mary Karr's Adventures in Moviegoing on @FilmStruck!
... So, this has more to do with a guest programmer selecting films for Filmstruck than it does as a potoential Criterion release.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:14 pm 

The Princess Bride. I guess they finally figured out what they can add to the release.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 pm 

FrauBlucher wrote:
Criterion tweeted this....
Quote:
Joel and Ethan Coen's 2007 Cormac McCarthy adaptation NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is now streaming as part of award-winning memoirist and poet Mary Karr's Adventures in Moviegoing on @FilmStruck!
... So, this has more to do with a guest programmer selecting films for Filmstruck than it does as a potoential Criterion release.

The special edition Blu-ray has a wealth of good bonus content, but it would be interesting if Criterion got some scholarly content on McCarthy, and/or were able to include both aspect ratios (the film was in theaters and on DVD/Blu-ray in Cinemascope, but Oscar screeners and television broadcast was 16x9, all the film's shots were composed for both, and having seen the 16x9 one a couple of times, I think I actually prefer it).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:10 pm 

dwk wrote:
The Princess Bride. I guess they finally figured out what they can add to the release.

At minimum they could bring back the commentary from the LD (with Reiner, Goldman, Falk, Crystal, and producer Andrew Scheinman). The current Blu has individual commentaries from Reiner and Goldman but I think the earlier commentary remains exclusive to the LD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm 

Just wild rampant speculation on my part: popped in the Welcome To The Dollhouse dvd recently and was kinda shocked. It’s non anamorphic and looks like a Laserdisc, except with compression blocks. Now Solondz is already in the collection, I dunno if Happiness or Storytelling would be good CC picks, but this seems like a suitable add. But the DVD is zanily still in print. Seems to be selling fine. I guess if I have any question or anything of merit to add here it would be: Why does god let DVDs like this of notable movies continue to exist? I think it deserves a new disc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:36 pm 

I would be shocked if Criterion didn’t release Dollhouse alongside Weiner-Dog as back-to-back spines. And speaking of Weiner-Dog, that’s kind of overdue by now, isn’t it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm 

Just like how they paired Life During Wartime and Happiness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 pm 

I know, I know. But I think Dollhouse being a Sony title makes it likelier than Lionsgate-owned Happiness. I’m probably wrong. It’s fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 pm 

Am I nuts or wasn't WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE recently added to and/or featured on the FilmStruck Criterion Channel?

Let's just do a quick run-down of the availability of the great Solondz on Bluray

Available on Bluray:
WIENER-DOG (Exclusively from Amazon.com)
DARK HORSE (from Virgil Films & Entertainment)
LIFE DURING WARTIME (from Criterion)

Criminally Unavailable:
PALINDROMES
STORYTELLING
HAPPINESS
WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE

Solondz may be the ONLY director whose three WORST films are the only ones available on Bluray. Can someone please get HAPPINESS and the criminally underrated PALINDROMES out there? I feel as though DOLLHOUSE will drop from Criterion sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I feel like we are in the absolute worst environment for Happiness to be released by any label, especially one as visible as Criterion. I agree it deserves a nice Blu-ray, but it quite possibly may never materialize from anywhere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
I feel like we are in the absolute worst environment for Happiness to be released by any label, especially one as visible as Criterion. I agree it deserves a nice Blu-ray, but it quite possibly may never materialize from anywhere

I'm fairly certain I read that Criterion tried coming to a deal for Happiness years ago but it fell through. Seems they really wanted to release it, which is even more of a shame as it's one of my all time favorites but, as Domino said, I'd be shocked if anyone put it out in the current climate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 pm 

If Blame It on Rio can get a Blu-Ray release without internet outrage I don't see why the same can happen for Happiness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:07 pm 
Dot Com Dom

If you can't see the difference between Caine's lech and, well, every single aspect of the Dylan Baker storyline, I don't know what to say

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 pm 

The internet outrage culture would make a big deal if they saw the film, which involves a pushing-50 Michael Caine having affair with a 17 year old Johnson. Criterion is one of the most prestigious home video labels with a bigger market then Kino. The raunchy and cringe manner of Solondz film is going to push people buttons off, it just how many of you're typical internet person have even seen Happiness to write hit-pieces against the film content?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:54 pm 

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Vice or Slate put out a piece on Happiness if Criterion released it or not anytime soon, as they seem to be the kind of news outlets to point out awkward or controversial things in films in relation to today’s social or political climate- though that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 am 

domino harvey wrote:
If you can't see the difference between Caine's lech and, well, every single aspect of the Dylan Baker storyline, I don't know what to say

If Dylan Baker had been accused of doing those things in real life I might see your point, but depiction is not endorsement. If anything, this movie is precisely what the current climate needs: Stop going after only what you want without concern for how it affects others. Stop being awful to one another. Learn how to show love for other people (even, yes, if you're a grown man and they're a prepubescent boy) without resorting to sex.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 am 

Okay but who cares the movie exists its good the whole point is you’re deeply upset by the whole thing. I say bring on the think pieces - Solondz could do with a boost in profile.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:35 am 

I suppose Solondz's disowned debut, "Fear, Anxiety and Depression" (still not released in any format), is out of the question. :-k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:56 pm 

MoonlitKnight wrote:
I suppose Solondz's disowned debut, "Fear, Anxiety and Depression" (still not released in any format), is out of the question. :-k
There was a VHS!

I remember renting it at the time Happiness came out. My nearly 20-year-old memory of watching is that it was really bad. The only way I could see Criterion releasing it is as a supplement to Welcome to the Doll House.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 pm 

med wrote:
I remember renting it at the time Happiness came out. My nearly 20-year-old memory of watching is that it was really bad. The only way I could see Criterion releasing it is as a supplement to Welcome to the Doll House.
I remember it being your run-of-the-mill cheesy '80s comedy. I agree it would likely only be as a supplement to "Welcome to the Dollhouse," just as equally obscure debuts "Permanent Vacation" and "It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books" were for "Stranger Than Paradise" and "Slacker," respectively.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 pm 

Criterion posted an image from The Virgin Suicides on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:29 pm 

In keeping with the recent theme of this thread, “Movies enjoyed by surly teens in the late 90s”, I would just like to note the Warner Archive disc of Gummo recently went OOP. Doesn’t even have a page on
WBShop anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:53 pm 

Paul Thomas Anderson's responses in his recent IAMA thread when asked...

...About a Hard Eight Blu-ray debut.

...On any plans for an upcoming Criterion release (any film, not just Hard Eight).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 pm 

I'm going with the the girl, flag on Cresent moon (because there is an eclipse happening) being for the Ingrid Bergman in Sweden eclipse set until proven otherwise. And with The Virgin Suicides, The Awful Truth and The Color of Pomegranates coming from New Years Wacky Drawing and Dead Man clue coming from the monthly newsletter. I'm still not convinced the skeleton is for Dead Man. That's a lot of clues to fall by the wayside right away.

Let see what Minkin has to say.

Last edited by FrauBlucher on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2086 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next