Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
CSM126

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2026 Post by CSM126 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:11 am

KJones77 wrote:https://i.redd.it/baxge74dly701.png

Is there anything to be made of this? The official FilmStruck account seems to confirm No Country for Old Men is coming to Criterion but that could also just be referring to the Criterion Channel.

Thoughts?
Considering that Disney’s Blu is still in print, and sells for six bucks on Amazon, I’d be surprised if Criterion bothered. Unless the Coens just insisted on it for some reason, I guess.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#2027 Post by Brian C » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:07 am

I believe that’s actually a Lionsgate Blu, which would seemingly make it even more unlikely.

flyonthewall2983

#2028 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 pm

It was a Disney-made Blu, but Lionsgate distributed them after the Miramax sale.

Cinephrenic

#2029 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Is there a list of shorts that appear on Criterion's discs on this forum or elsewhere?

Minkin

#2030 Post by Minkin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:Is there a list of shorts that appear on Criterion's discs on this forum or elsewhere?
It looks like Tribe started a list back in 2005 (scroll down, because for some reason I can't link directly to his post) but gave-up after reaching C. A few posts down Swo has a list of bonus feature films, but its out of date as well.

Criterion keep a list on their site linking to all editions with bonus shorts, but who knows if they've missed anything.

As to No Country for Old Men - I've rather soured on finding scoops on Filmstruck. Unless it opens with a Janus logo, it doesn't mean they have any rights. They have The Apartment up right now with Criterion branding on the image. This isn't Hulu - where everything added to Criterion channel = Criterion owned. Instead they'll just add things as part of a theme for a limited time. So I would not take this as a sign that a No Country for Old Men disc is to be expected anytime soon (given the market conditions, who knows what will happen in 5-10 years, but being on Filmstruck right now - unless it has a Janus logo like Blood Simple - I'm not expecting anything).

kcota17

#2031 Post by kcota17 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:55 pm

Minkin wrote:
Cinephrenic wrote:Is there a list of shorts that appear on Criterion's discs on this forum or elsewhere?
It looks like Tribe started a list back in 2005 (scroll down, because for some reason I can't link directly to his post) but gave-up after reaching C. A few posts down Swo has a list of bonus feature films, but its out of date as well.

Criterion keep a list on their site linking to all editions with bonus shorts, but who knows if they've missed anything.

As to No Country for Old Men - I've rather soured on finding scoops on Filmstruck. Unless it opens with a Janus logo, it doesn't mean they have any rights. They have The Apartment up right now with Criterion branding on the image. This isn't Hulu - where everything added to Criterion channel = Criterion owned. Instead they'll just add things as part of a theme for a limited time. So I would not take this as a sign that a No Country for Old Men disc is to be expected anytime soon (given the market conditions, who knows what will happen in 5-10 years, but being on Filmstruck right now - unless it has a Janus logo like Blood Simple - I'm not expecting anything).
Yeah but with a high profile, studio-film like No Country for Old Men it wouldn’t necessarily need the Janus logo then right? It’s not as if Janus is distributing a brand new restoration to theatres. It would be similar to them doing a small upgrade to Pan’s Labyrinth and releasing that.

At this point, I don’t think it’d be a big surprise if they did that. I hate to be that guy though, since I usually don’t mind Criterion’s re-releases, but them releasing films by directors that aren’t a huge necessity (No Country or Twin Peaks FWWM) instead of the obvious (a new Big Lebowski transfer or a handful of Lynch films) gets a little annoying.

But I honestly feel like the big draw for Criterion is to simply add big, well-known titles to their prestigious reputation like No Country for Old Men, Pan’s Labyrinth and Dr. Strangelove.

movielocke

Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2032 Post by movielocke » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:26 pm

I imagine that to the twenty two year old unpaid intern manning the FilmStruck Twitter the only existence of criterion is as a channel on FilmStruck and doesn’t even know that people still use discs much less what the disc collection is.

Luke M

#2033 Post by Luke M » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 am

Social media manager is a legit job. I think maybe in 2018 we could retire the unpaid intern idea?

FrauBlucher

#2034 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:50 am

Criterion tweeted this....
Joel and Ethan Coen's 2007 Cormac McCarthy adaptation NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is now streaming as part of award-winning memoirist and poet Mary Karr's Adventures in Moviegoing on @FilmStruck!
... So, this has more to do with a guest programmer selecting films for Filmstruck than it does as a potoential Criterion release.

dwk

#2035 Post by dwk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:14 pm

The Princess Bride. I guess they finally figured out what they can add to the release.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#2036 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Criterion tweeted this....
Joel and Ethan Coen's 2007 Cormac McCarthy adaptation NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is now streaming as part of award-winning memoirist and poet Mary Karr's Adventures in Moviegoing on @FilmStruck!
... So, this has more to do with a guest programmer selecting films for Filmstruck than it does as a potoential Criterion release.
The special edition Blu-ray has a wealth of good bonus content, but it would be interesting if Criterion got some scholarly content on McCarthy, and/or were able to include both aspect ratios (the film was in theaters and on DVD/Blu-ray in Cinemascope, but Oscar screeners and television broadcast was 16x9, all the film's shots were composed for both, and having seen the 16x9 one a couple of times, I think I actually prefer it).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#2037 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:10 pm

dwk wrote:The Princess Bride. I guess they finally figured out what they can add to the release.
At minimum they could bring back the commentary from the LD (with Reiner, Goldman, Falk, Crystal, and producer Andrew Scheinman). The current Blu has individual commentaries from Reiner and Goldman but I think the earlier commentary remains exclusive to the LD.

motefuzz

#2038 Post by motefuzz » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Just wild rampant speculation on my part: popped in the Welcome To The Dollhouse dvd recently and was kinda shocked. It’s non anamorphic and looks like a Laserdisc, except with compression blocks. Now Solondz is already in the collection, I dunno if Happiness or Storytelling would be good CC picks, but this seems like a suitable add. But the DVD is zanily still in print. Seems to be selling fine. I guess if I have any question or anything of merit to add here it would be: Why does god let DVDs like this of notable movies continue to exist? I think it deserves a new disc.

CSM126

#2039 Post by CSM126 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:36 pm

I would be shocked if Criterion didn’t release Dollhouse alongside Weiner-Dog as back-to-back spines. And speaking of Weiner-Dog, that’s kind of overdue by now, isn’t it?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2040 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Just like how they paired Life During Wartime and Happiness

CSM126

#2041 Post by CSM126 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 pm

I know, I know. But I think Dollhouse being a Sony title makes it likelier than Lionsgate-owned Happiness. I’m probably wrong. It’s fine.

Jgh8xxx

#2042 Post by Jgh8xxx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 pm

Am I nuts or wasn't WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE recently added to and/or featured on the FilmStruck Criterion Channel?

Let's just do a quick run-down of the availability of the great Solondz on Bluray

Available on Bluray:
WIENER-DOG (Exclusively from Amazon.com)
DARK HORSE (from Virgil Films & Entertainment)
LIFE DURING WARTIME (from Criterion)

Criminally Unavailable:
PALINDROMES
STORYTELLING
HAPPINESS
WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE

Solondz may be the ONLY director whose three WORST films are the only ones available on Bluray. Can someone please get HAPPINESS and the criminally underrated PALINDROMES out there? I feel as though DOLLHOUSE will drop from Criterion sooner rather than later.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2043 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 pm

I feel like we are in the absolute worst environment for Happiness to be released by any label, especially one as visible as Criterion. I agree it deserves a nice Blu-ray, but it quite possibly may never materialize from anywhere

Grand Wazoo

#2044 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:I feel like we are in the absolute worst environment for Happiness to be released by any label, especially one as visible as Criterion. I agree it deserves a nice Blu-ray, but it quite possibly may never materialize from anywhere
I'm fairly certain I read that Criterion tried coming to a deal for Happiness years ago but it fell through. Seems they really wanted to release it, which is even more of a shame as it's one of my all time favorites but, as Domino said, I'd be shocked if anyone put it out in the current climate.

Dead or Deader

#2045 Post by Dead or Deader » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 pm

If Blame It on Rio can get a Blu-Ray release without internet outrage I don't see why the same can happen for Happiness.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2046 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:07 pm

If you can't see the difference between Caine's lech and, well, every single aspect of the Dylan Baker storyline, I don't know what to say

Dead or Deader

#2047 Post by Dead or Deader » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 pm

The internet outrage culture would make a big deal if they saw the film, which involves a pushing-50 Michael Caine having affair with a 17 year old Johnson. Criterion is one of the most prestigious home video labels with a bigger market then Kino. The raunchy and cringe manner of Solondz film is going to push people buttons off, it just how many of you're typical internet person have even seen Happiness to write hit-pieces against the film content?

okcmaxk

#2048 Post by okcmaxk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:54 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Vice or Slate put out a piece on Happiness if Criterion released it or not anytime soon, as they seem to be the kind of news outlets to point out awkward or controversial things in films in relation to today’s social or political climate- though that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2049 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 am

domino harvey wrote:If you can't see the difference between Caine's lech and, well, every single aspect of the Dylan Baker storyline, I don't know what to say
If Dylan Baker had been accused of doing those things in real life I might see your point, but depiction is not endorsement. If anything, this movie is precisely what the current climate needs: Stop going after only what you want without concern for how it affects others. Stop being awful to one another. Learn how to show love for other people (even, yes, if you're a grown man and they're a prepubescent boy) without resorting to sex.

Ribs

#2050 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 am

Okay but who cares the movie exists its good the whole point is you’re deeply upset by the whole thing. I say bring on the think pieces - Solondz could do with a boost in profile.