The Cat O' Nine Tails

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

The Cat O' Nine Tails

#1 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 am

Following the success of his debut feature, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, distributor Titanus tasked writer/director Dario Argento with delivering a follow-up in short order. The resulting film, granted a greatly enhanced budget and heralded in its US marketing campaign as “nine times more suspenseful” than its predecessor, was The Cat O’ Nine Tails.

When a break-in occurs at a secretive genetics institute, blind puzzle-maker Franco Arnò (Karl Malden, Patton, One-Eyed Jacks), who overheard an attempt to blackmail one of the institute’s scientists shortly before the robbery, teams up with intrepid reporter Carlo Giordani (James Franciscus, Beneath the Planet of the Apes) to crack the case. But before long the bodies begin to pile up and the two amateur sleuths find their own lives imperilled in their search for the truth. And worse still, Lori (Cinzia De Carolis, Cannibal Apocalypse), Franco’s young niece, may also be in the killer’s sights…

This second entry in the so-called “Animal Trilogy” found Argento further refining his distinctive style and cementing his reputation as the master of the giallo thriller. Co-starring Catherine Spaak (Il Sorpasso) and Rada Rassimov (Baron Blood), and featuring another nerve-jangling score by the great Ennio Morricone (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly), The Cat O’ Nine Tails remains one of Argento’s most suspenseful and underrated films.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
• New interviews with co-writer/director Dario Argento, co-writer Dardano Sacchetti, actress Cinzia De Carolis and production manager Angelo Iacono
• Script pages for the lost original ending, translated into English for the first time
• Original Italian and international theatrical trailers
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Candice Tripp
• Double-sided fold-out poster
• 4 lobby card reproductions
• Limited edition booklet illustrated by Matt Griffin, featuring an essay on the film by Dario Argento, and new writing by Barry Forshaw, Troy Howarth and Howard Hughes

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: The Cat O' Nine Tails

#2 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:18 pm

For some reason, the release isn't listed at all anymore on Arrow's webstore.

Ribs

#3 Post by Ribs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:27 pm

It was 65% sold out before the sale. Maybe people were ordering it alongside other stuff and if moved it to sold out territory?

dwk

#4 Post by dwk » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Apparently some copies shipped out already and there is a problem with the disc. Maybe this is why Arrow pulled their listing?

Apperson

#5 Post by Apperson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Apparently the interview with Cinzia De Carolis won't play, instead it just repeats the Dardano Sacchetti interview.

For reference, how long did it take Indicator to fix the issue with Fat City?

Adam X

#6 Post by Adam X » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:23 am

They fixed Fat City?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:59 am

They did.

Ribs

#8 Post by Ribs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:11 am

From Arrow:
Unfortunately we have discovered a small authoring error on the Blu-ray of our upcoming release of THE CAT O' NINE TAILS in which one of the menu links incorrectly links to the wrong interview. We have rectified the problem and replacement discs are currently being manufactured. We are hoping that we can have the replacement discs swapped out for the faulty ones before New Year, regrettably this process is going to result in a short delay to the release date, the product will now be released on January 29th in the UK and January 30th in the US.

We caught this error before any stock had shipped to retailers, so all copies will be correct come the new release date, however a very small number have shipped to some customers who ordered directly from our website (we have contacted you via email if you order has shipped/been affected so please check those inboxes!)

Apologies for the delay and we very much hope you enjoy the release once it arrives!
I got an email, which says I'll be able to keep the disc I get and the second disc will be sent along when it's ready next month.

Adam X

#9 Post by Adam X » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:55 am

Glad they got on it so quickly, and kinda happy I didn’t get one of those emails.
swo17 wrote:They did.
Man, Indicator have been really good at fixing defects, but I really wish they’d be more open about doing so.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#10 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:56 am

I haven't much looked into the issue beyond ensuring that the copy I recently ordered didn't exhibit the authoring error.

M Sanderson

#11 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:20 am

What’s wrong with Fat City?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#12 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:40 am

Apperson

#13 Post by Apperson » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:05 pm

dwk

#14 Post by dwk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm

US release has been delayed again. New release date is March 6th.

Apperson

#15 Post by Apperson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm

And I'm sure there will be absolutely no problems with availability once the release date rolls past.

Ribs

#16 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 pm

How utterly strange to have the US disc be delayed so much when I got the UK release literally three+ weeks ago, and only just got the replacement disc. I assume it has to do with complications from printing a whole new set of discs from the bad master, but surprising this has gotten pushed so much further back.

black&huge

#17 Post by black&huge » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Ribs wrote:How utterly strange to have the US disc be delayed so much when I got the UK release literally three+ weeks ago, and only just got the replacement disc. I assume it has to do with complications from printing a whole new set of discs from the bad master, but surprising this has gotten pushed so much further back.
the arrow release had a bad master or what? I have not heard of this issue

Ribs

#18 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 pm

It was just that one of the extras was linked incorrectly on the menu to be inaccesible, nothing huge but definitely still something they need to fix. I meant master as in disc master.

Morbii

#19 Post by Morbii » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:48 am

My DeepDiscount order just got cancelled. It was a great price, too ($22).

Guess I have to try my luck with Amazon for 50% more $$.

dwk

#20 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 am

Deep Discount also cancelled my order.

Morbii

#21 Post by Morbii » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 pm

I emailed them and was told that the item was “discontinued by the manufacturer”. Does this mean it’s been cancelled?!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#22 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Fool me a dozen times,

Apperson

#23 Post by Apperson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:47 pm

Apperson wrote:And I'm sure there will be absolutely no problems with availability once the release date rolls past.
Can I say I called it? Cause I totally did.

Big Ben

#24 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:55 pm

Morbii wrote:I emailed them and was told that the item was “discontinued by the manufacturer”. Does this mean it’s been cancelled?!
They took it out back and shot it.

black&huge

#25 Post by black&huge » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:00 pm

So is there some big screw up with the US release? Delays and order cancllations is this just more limited than usual? I jist preordered a copy on amazon