Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

gcgiles1dollarbin

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#401 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:27 pm

MichaelB wrote:
tenia wrote: While I feel myself it was a bit unwarranted for Michael to get at Costa this way for what it nothing else than an innocuous question ("we know these 2 have leaked, but do you think more titles will be announced ?"), it's hard to share his views on Michael's trying to "shut down any criticism" (especially because if there is a place where labels strategies and line-ups have been freely discussed, it's here).
Ironically, if I really did want to "shut down any criticism", I could do it with a single stroke of my trackpad - I have the power to edit or delete any post in this particular subforum, and I can do it with no visible sign that anything's happened.

But I've never exercised this power, and I never will, unless it's for something indefensibly libellous that might get the forums into legal hot water - and such things are very rare indeed.

I'm close to an absolutist when it comes to freedom of speech (an area where, disappointingly, I often seem to have quite a few differences with many people on my political side of the fence), as I was always brought up to favour upfront and vigorous argument over censorship, and I especially despise the really sneaky kind of censorship that involves revisiting a thread a few days after a particular kerfuffle has died down and tweaking or deleting posts purely in order to paint a different picture and make someone who was originally badly losing an argument come off better. Not least because it's a complete abuse of privilege.
I think you have handled this odd misunderstanding with remarkable equanimity, especially after being directed not "to whore yourself for a paycheck." How rude, indeed!

MichaelB is hugely valuable to this forum, I should have to tell no one, not least of which for his level-headedness, responsiveness, expertise, and generosity with special information (when permitted by his contractee). I see no pattern of self-interested whorishness, for the record. From my own lengthy experience as an independent contractor (which I'm assuming is his relationship to the various labels he works for), I suspect a whore might get better remuneration! In other words, I'm sure this is a labour of love for him, not an excuse to shill for filthy lucre. Correct me if I'm wrong, MichaelB, and you are actually Arrow's liveried footman. :wink:

M Sanderson

#402 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 am

So is The Hitcher at the rumour phase, after Arrow shared an image on Facebook of their poster for the film?

Certainly, one of the most requested titles, after The Thing.

And would fit well into the collection given their very welcome release of Eric Red’s Cohen and Tate.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#403 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:54 am

People at Mondo Con said Arrow won't release it on video, but will produce a book about it.

dwk

#404 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:29 am

Since Olive released it in the US, I"m going to assume this is for Arrow: Sean Phillips appears to be working on a cover for Ramrod

rapta

#405 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am

dwk wrote:Since Olive released it in the US, I"m going to assume this is for Arrow: Sean Phillips appears to be working on a cover for Ramrod
Interesting...thought that would be another from the Paramount catalogue but seems MGM released it in the UK.

Also worth noting Simply Media released this on DVD in 2013, so hopefully that means rights to some of their other titles from then (or earlier) are expiring. Perhaps we'll soon (well, within the next two years) see UK Blu-ray editions of Lonely Are the Brave, Broken Lance, Garden of Evil, Man on a Tightrope, Unfaithfully Yours, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, House of Bamboo. Maybe even Threads eventually (most likely from the BFI).

This is obviously assuming it was for a UK release at all! Seems likely though; the DVD is OOP.

What A Disgrace

#406 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Maybe we have a Westerns boxed set coming up, as a companion to the not delayed yet film noir boxed set.

rapta

#407 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:16 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Maybe we have a Westerns boxed set coming up, as a companion to the not delayed yet film noir boxed set.
I've seen someone post a photo of the screeners, so I'd be surprised if it was delayed any further. Looking forward to that one!

Ribs

#408 Post by Ribs » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:10 am

February hints:

Video:

Academy:

*** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***

DRW.mov

#409 Post by DRW.mov » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 pm

The Video hint is either something by Stephen King or a King of New York re-release.

Academy is definitely Valley of the Dolls.

Costa

#410 Post by Costa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:18 pm

DRW.mov wrote: Academy is definitely Valley of the Dolls.
I hope not. I barely finished that movie! :lol:

What A Disgrace

#411 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:37 pm

I have my fingers crossed for Creepshow. I think that's the Stephen King penned title I most want, and as I recall the Second Sight edition is out of print, so its got a shot.

DeprongMori

#412 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 pm

The “Academy” clue seems pretty obviously to be Jane Campion’s Angel at My Table (1990).

M Sanderson

#413 Post by M Sanderson » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:33 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:I have my fingers crossed for Creepshow. I think that's the Stephen King penned title I most want, and as I recall the Second Sight edition is out of print, so its got a shot.
And it’s a massively high demand item, both for its ‘80s video nostalgia and in lieu of Romero’s recent death.

Also if you look at both UK & US releases, it follows a pattern of Arrow getting both Re-animator and both Creepshow films after getting hold of the sequel first...

What A Disgrace

#414 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:55 pm

It doesn't seem likely that the US release of Creepshow would include its beloved making-of doc, since its owned by Synapse I believe? It'll be a pleasant surprise if it is a dual territory release.

dwk

#415 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Warner Brothers owns Creepshow in the US, so any potential release would be UK only

EazyE

#416 Post by EazyE » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 pm

rapta wrote:
dwk wrote:Since Olive released it in the US, I"m going to assume this is for Arrow: Sean Phillips appears to be working on a cover for Ramrod
Interesting...thought that would be another from the Paramount catalogue but seems MGM released it in the UK.

Also worth noting Simply Media released this on DVD in 2013, so hopefully that means rights to some of their other titles from then (or earlier) are expiring. Perhaps we'll soon (well, within the next two years) see UK Blu-ray editions of Lonely Are the Brave, Broken Lance, Garden of Evil, Man on a Tightrope, Unfaithfully Yours, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, House of Bamboo. Maybe even Threads eventually (most likely from the BFI).

This is obviously assuming it was for a UK release at all! Seems likely though; the DVD is OOP.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer was only the UK theatrical distributor, like United Artists was in the US and probably for us Canadians, it reverted to it's own production company Enterprise Films which is now in the Paramount library

rapta

#417 Post by rapta » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:06 pm

I wonder, with Criterion UK's February lineup not including The Silence of the Lambs...do we reckon Arrow managed to license the new restoration from MGM?

With Criterion UK announcing Something Wild instead that month, that says to me "we would've liked to have released The Silence of the Lambs in the UK, but here's a different Demme title". And maybe even to spoil any future Arrow/Eureka/Second Sight plans to release that particular film themselves...

It wouldn't make much sense to hold off on a UK release of Lambs, so that's why I reckon another label has got it. BFI are handling theatrical distribution but I'd be very surprised if they got this before Arrow.
DeprongMori wrote:The “Academy” clue seems pretty obviously to be Jane Campion’s Angel at My Table (1990).
Never seen it but would like to see more Campion, so that would be quite welcome.

M Sanderson

#418 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:22 am

What other King could it be - Misery perhaps? Obviously you get some overlap between Arrow and Shout Factory.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#419 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:26 am

Maximum Overdrive ?

Ribs

#420 Post by Ribs » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 am

There’s also the possibility of Thomas Crown Affair, which Kino is releasing a new resto of in the US.

dwk

#421 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:45 am

Maximum Overdrive is a StudioCanal title.

rapta

#422 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:47 am

M Sanderson wrote:What other King could it be - Misery perhaps? Obviously you get some overlap between Arrow and Shout Factory.
Most likely gonna be Misery, and if not, possibly The Running Man or Cujo.

Or if the rights are now free, we could even see The Dead Zone, Creepshow, Cat's Eye, Firestarter, Silver Bullet...or indeed, Maximum Overdrive.

This is assuming the tease is Stephen King, if course. Could be something else entirely. Or maybe it's several of them? Would be quite cool to see a Stephen King box set coming from Arrow!
Ribs wrote:There’s also the possibility of Thomas Crown Affair, which Kino is releasing a new resto of in the US.
Okay that'd be even better than the above. Have been meaning to get the Fox disc but would obviously scrap those plans if Arrow announced their own.

rapta

#423 Post by rapta » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:50 am

dwk wrote:Maximum Overdrive is a StudioCanal title.
Technically was released in the Optimum days so they could've let the rights expire (ditto Silver Bullet and Cat's Eye). We'll find out soon enough though - I doubt that's the first King title Arrow would be seeking next after a hit like Carrie.

dwk

#424 Post by dwk » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:59 am

Dino De Laurentiis's De Laurentiis Entertainment Group produced Maximum Overdrive and all that catalog is owned by StudioCanal

What A Disgrace

#425 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:03 am

The crown could stand for Jörg Buttgereit's Der Todesking.