Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

Ribs

Re: ??? (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017)

#77 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Well, this certainly was a fun adventure

Dead or Deader

#78 Post by Dead or Deader » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Focus Features wrote:Set in the glamour of 1950’s post-war London, renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock (Daniel Day-Lewis) and his sister Cyril (Lesley Manville) are at the center of British fashion, dressing royalty, movie stars, heiresses, socialites, debutants and dames with the distinct style of The House of Woodcock. Women come and go through Woodcock’s life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love. With his latest film, Paul Thomas Anderson paints an illuminating portrait both of an artist on a creative journey, and the women who keep his world running. Phantom Thread is Paul Thomas Anderson’s eighth movie, and his second collaboration with Daniel Day-Lewis.

oh yeah

Re: Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017)

#79 Post by oh yeah » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Wait, so this is supposed to be coming out in time for this year's awards season? Am I wrong? It's odd to not have any teaser yet if it is coming out by 12/31 at latest, no matter how limited that initial opening might be.

Ribs

#80 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:49 pm

No, it's pretty standard - the Post has the same lack of content, and that's actually probably going to be an Oscar player in most major categories. It's not the same level but it was late December before the first footage of Still Alice came out and it had premiered already!

Cremildo

#81 Post by Cremildo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:27 am

Unless my quick research was faulty, the first trailer for Spielberg's Munich was released in November 2005. The film opened the following month. So it's not extraordinary for a supposed Oscar player not to have a trailer at this time of the year.

Luke M

#82 Post by Luke M » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:18 am

Raise your hand if you thought Phantom Thread was the nickname of this thread and not the actual title.

MoonlitKnight

#83 Post by MoonlitKnight » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:33 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:It's officially called Phantom Thread
Simply calling it "DDL's (Reportedly) Final Film" might've at least boosted its interest among the masses. :-k

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#85 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 am

There is an underpinning of menace there that one wouldn't typically see in a trailer for a prestige pic of that sort, but this definitely looks like the stuffiest thing that Anderson has done so far. If that trailer were for a film directed by, say, Joe Wright - it would look like it had the potential to be a very blah time at the movies indeed. But I'm hopeful that the script is as great as the buzz around it has indicated. And really - when Anderson writes something out of whole cloth (heh), it's been established that anything can happen and more within a seemingly predictable narrative framework.

Zot!

#86 Post by Zot! » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:36 am

Looks pretty, if more "British" than expected. I'm so used to PTA holding the torch for American arthouse. Even the curlique font screams PRESTIGE!

flyonthewall2983

#87 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 am

So all that Fifty Shades talk was just hype

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#88 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:So all that Fifty Shades talk was just hype
Considering that the MPAA rated it R just for "language," I'd tend to think so.

That also makes me wonder how often and how terribly Daniel Day Lewis will scream a string of obscenities in this film. Maybe not at all, but usually pictures like this aren't inundated with R-rated language

knives

#89 Post by knives » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 am

mfunk9786 wrote:There is an underpinning of menace there that one wouldn't typically see in a trailer for a prestige pic of that sort, but this definitely looks like the stuffiest thing that Anderson has done so far. If that trailer were for a film directed by, say, Joe Wright - it would look like it had the potential to be a very blah time at the movies indeed. But I'm hopeful that the script is as great as the buzz around it has indicated. And really - when Anderson writes something out of whole cloth (heh), it's been established that anything can happen and more within a seemingly predictable narrative framework.
TBH would rather watch the Joe Wroght film.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#90 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am

knives wrote:TBH would rather watch the Joe Wroght film.

knives

#91 Post by knives » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 am

Or I just have fat fingers and the i is next to the o.

Cde.

#92 Post by Cde. » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:48 am

mfunk9786 wrote:There is an underpinning of menace there that one wouldn't typically see in a trailer for a prestige pic of that sort, but this definitely looks like the stuffiest thing that Anderson has done so far. If that trailer were for a film directed by, say, Joe Wright - it would look like it had the potential to be a very blah time at the movies indeed.
I think there's an elegance and sophistication to the compositions that draws me to this and sets it apart from what Wright would put out.
Zot! wrote:Looks pretty, if more "British" than expected. I'm so used to PTA holding the torch for American arthouse. Even the curlique font screams PRESTIGE!
I think it has a strong Kubrick air about it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#93 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 am

knives wrote:Or I just have fat fingers and the i is next to the o.
Fat fingers from an early oral fixation, amirite?

ianthemovie

#94 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:55 am

Well, I only watched the first thirty seconds of this before turning it off because I didn't want any more of the movie spoiled. But I will say that it looks fascinating, and that "undertone of menace" is promising. We should take comfort in the fact that PTA has never made a "straight" film. Even There Will Be Blood, which similarly had all of the outward trappings of an Oscar-bait prestige picture, was delightfully perverse, blackly comic and surreal. (The tonal gap between that trailer and the film itself is pretty vast.) So my expectations for this are still very high. If PTA has sold out I'll be very surprised.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#95 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 am

ianthemovie wrote:Well, I only watched the first thirty seconds of this before turning it off because I didn't want any more of the movie spoiled.
I always admire the steel trap memory that a lot of people have that leads to seeing small snippets of a film a couple of months prior to seeing the film itself and having that "spoil" it. Not that I'm suspect of it, I just wish I had that kind of capacity for retention.

FakeBonanza

#96 Post by FakeBonanza » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm

I've always wanted to see Daniel Day-Lewis play Jeremy Irons.

Kirkinson

#97 Post by Kirkinson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:So all that Fifty Shades talk was just hype
Unless it was referring to how the Fifty Shades film is mostly just intimidating stares and arcane contract negotiation between a rich loner and a lower-class love interest with very little actual sex involved. (Not that I'm complaining—I think this trailer is beautiful and very intriguing!)

ianthemovie

#98 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm

It's possible there's some kink/fetish stuff in the film, or perhaps a vaguely dom/sub dynamic between DDL and Vicky Krieps, and there the similarity ends, just as I'm sure the comparisons to Mike Leigh are probably based solely on the presence of Lesley Manville. Thus "it's 50 Shades meets Mike Leigh!" was born. I can't recall with whom those comparisons originated, but it sounds like the kind of random speculation you'd find on Indiewire or some such site trying to generate copy about a film about which almost no detailed information exists.

bdsweeney

#99 Post by bdsweeney » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 pm

I could be reading too much into it, but I detected a real sense of menace in the trailer which I wouldn’t associate with more middlebrow costume dramas.
Also, maybe Anderson has made a drama that reflects his love for Ophuls? (Thematically I mean, not style.)

ianthemovie

#100 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Style too. Anderson has acknowledged Ophuls' camerawork and tracking shots as an influence on his own filmmaking. See for example the featurette he recorded for the Criterion Madame de... DVD.