Cinema Paradiso

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

David M.

Re: Cinema Paradiso

#51 Post by David M. » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:26 pm

knives wrote:Get stuffed is actually used in (most of) the US so you could have retained that.
Really? I've never heard it here in New York, or in any American movie I've ever seen. Interesting to hear.

swo17

#52 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I think more of "Get bent" though maybe only from The Simpsons.

knives

#53 Post by knives » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:47 pm

David M. wrote:
knives wrote:Get stuffed is actually used in (most of) the US so you could have retained that.
Really? I've never heard it here in New York, or in any American movie I've ever seen. Interesting to hear.
It's somewhat popular in San Diego and people have understood it when I've used it in Boston. There's obviously more popular insults, but it doesn't run into the rubber situation.

Ishmael

#54 Post by Ishmael » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm

knives wrote:
David M. wrote:
It's somewhat popular in San Diego and people have understood it when I've used it in Boston. There's obviously more popular insults, but it doesn't run into the rubber situation.
Hmmm. In 48 years of living in America (i.e., my whole life), I've never once heard an American say "get stuffed," in real life or in movies. I'm not disputing that you have heard this, but this registers as a very British expression to me (and I have heard Americans say Britishisms like "bloody," but they're doing so self-consciously). So my opinion is that David M. made the right choice with the subs.

Zot!

#55 Post by Zot! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Perhaps being confused with the American "Stuff It", but that means Shut Up, and is pretty old fashioned. Agreed that "Get Stuffed" sounds very English.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 am

Pretty sure the only time I've heard "Get stuffed" is in the subtitles to Breathless. "Get fucked," however, is timeless