Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Minkin

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1801 Post by Minkin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:17 am

For people who have strong opinions in either direction, the Janus page lists the NotLD AR as 1.37:1 .

Also, what may give more credibility to this Godzilla notion, the following were un-released Criterion Laserdiscs (all were previously with Classic Media):
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (1965)
Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964)
Godzilla's Revenge (1969)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

I don't find this Godzilla aspect to be any stretch of the imagination, as Dreamworks bought Classic Media, and I seriously doubt they have the least interest in renewing rights from Toho. I suspect Dreamworks only cared about Classic Media's Frosty & friends merchandising license.

As to the Maysles films - I'm sure we'll see Salesman in the near future as a random month upgrade (the Grey Gardens restoration is the same as what Criterion created for their Blu / Janus tour). They probably have the rights to most all of the Maysles' Films. I wonder if they'll put out a Christo set.

dwk

#1802 Post by dwk » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Twitter rumblings that Criterion is going to release Carlos Reygadas' Japón

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1803 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Bacán

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1804 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Minkin wrote:I don't find this Godzilla aspect to be any stretch of the imagination, as Dreamworks bought Classic Media, and I seriously doubt they have the least interest in renewing rights from Toho. I suspect Dreamworks only cared about Classic Media's Frosty & friends merchandising license.
Also the Jay Ward library that Classic Media co-administered along with the Ward family, hence Dreamworks' not-too-successful attempt at reviving Mr. Peabody and Sherman. Classic Media also administered the Harvey catalog and owned Big Idea Entertainment, which led to new Richie Rich and VeggieTales series for Netflix. So it wasn't just one thing, but I agree that the Godzilla licenses were irrelevant, not least since they didn't give Dreamworks any rights to produce new material with the characters.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1805 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Criterion liked this Janus tweet advertising the 4k restoration of The Baker's Wife.

miless

#1806 Post by miless » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:52 pm

dwk wrote:Twitter rumblings that Criterion is going to release Carlos Reygadas' Japón
I can only hope this means Silent Light is in the pipeline, too. Perhaps a box (a la Pedro Costa)?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1807 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Silent Light appears to be with Kino Lorber now, and ditto Battle in Heaven. That's not surprising since they picked up the Palisades Tartan catalog in 2014. If Japón was available to Criterion, it was probably because Tartan's rights had already expired.

Minkin

#1808 Post by Minkin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Drucker wrote:Criterion liked this Janus tweet advertising the 4k restoration of The Baker's Wife.
Its a Janus release, so looks like more Pagnol is on the way.

Also, checking the Janus website, I found they also have Wenders' Nicholas Ray documentary - Lightning Over Water. Criterion already passed on including this on either They Live by Night or In a Lonely Place, so I assume they have another Nicholas Ray film planned (unless this will be a Lynch/Bergman(s) standalone release) - might any Ray film pair best with the film / be most likely?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1809 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Or they could include it in a Wenders doc set. Don't they have most all of his films?

Minkin

#1810 Post by Minkin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 pm

swo17 wrote:Or they could include it in a Wenders doc set. Don't they have most all of his films?
True, they do - but I expect it to be a Tokyo-Ga situation. It also would have made sense to include it with The American Friend - since Ray acts in it.

Wiki says the film includes excerpts from The Lusty Men (which is WB + looks like it was recently restored?) - I'm not familiar with the film, would it be something Criterion would go after?

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1811 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 pm

The only other doc they definitely have that hasn't already been released is Notebook on Cities and Clothes. Outside of that the remaining Wenders docs that might still be in play are the medium-length Chambre 666 and the short Reverse Angle. A Trick of Light is a hybrid doc that doesn't seem to have ever had a U.S. distributor. But like Minkin, I think they'll pair it with a Ray film and I wouldn't rule out The Lusty Men, but given some of the choices they've made with the WB library I'm not willing to stake anything on it either. Also the restoration appears to have been done on 35mm, not 4K (which I think would be more likely if a Blu release were imminent).
Last edited by The Fanciful Norwegian on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1812 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Minkin wrote:Wiki says the film includes excerpts from The Lusty Men (which is WB + looks like it was recently restored?) - I'm not familiar with the film, would it be something Criterion would go after?
Warner Archive put out a DVD a little while ago, though that doesn't necessarily rule a Criterion release out. It's certainly a worthy film.

zedz

#1813 Post by zedz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Minkin wrote:
Drucker wrote:Criterion liked this Janus tweet advertising the 4k restoration of The Baker's Wife.
Its a Janus release, so looks like more Pagnol is on the way.

Also, checking the Janus website, I found they also have Wenders' Nicholas Ray documentary - Lightning Over Water. Criterion already passed on including this on either They Live by Night or In a Lonely Place, so I assume they have another Nicholas Ray film planned (unless this will be a Lynch/Bergman(s) standalone release) - might any Ray film pair best with the film / be most likely?
It's pretty far removed from any of the Ray films Criterion might have the rights to. It's not really about his classic film work so much as it is about him dying. The American Friend would have been a better fit than one of Ray's own films, in my opinion. I suppose it's got enough of a profile that it could sustain a standalone release, or be combined with some of Wenders' other documentaries (e.g. Tokyo-Ga, Room 666). Heck, that's a release right there: Wenders on Film. You could stretch it to include A Trick of the Light.

dwk

#1814 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 am

Peter Becker was on some show called The Focus Group and, while there was no new scoops, he did say that Silence of the Lambs and some other OOP titles(I assume he meant the two other Hitchcocks and Spinal Tap) are probably going to come out next year.

budthechud

#1815 Post by budthechud » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:15 am

swo17 wrote:
Minkin wrote:Wiki says the film includes excerpts from The Lusty Men (which is WB + looks like it was recently restored?) - I'm not familiar with the film, would it be something Criterion would go after?
Warner Archive put out a DVD a little while ago, though that doesn't necessarily rule a Criterion release out. It's certainly a worthy film.

The Warner Archive "The Lusty Men" disc has been OOP from a while now and is pretty pricey. It seems a solid bet Criterion is on this one.

Malickite

#1816 Post by Malickite » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 am

dwk wrote:Peter Becker was on some show called The Focus Group and, while there was no new scoops, he did say that Silence of the Lambs and some other OOP titles(I assume he meant the two other Hitchcocks and Spinal Tap) are probably going to come out next year.
He said they're getting Le Corbeau back. But it's fuzzy whether it's coming only to Filmstruck, or also DVD/Blu-ray.

I'm very happy about Silence of the Lambs coming back.

Costa

#1817 Post by Costa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 am

Who is Peter Becker?
Is he affiliated with Criterion?

dwk

#1818 Post by dwk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:42 am

Le Corbeau sounded Filmstruck only, as a number of StudioCanal titles have popped up on Filmstruck.

Costa, he is the president of the company.

aox

#1819 Post by aox » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:19 am

Malickite wrote: He said they're getting Le Corbeau back. But it's fuzzy whether it's coming only to Filmstruck, or also DVD/Blu-ray.
I hope it is the latter. And, that is fantastic news if true. Probably my favorite Clouzot.

Now if only Criterion could get Contempt back. [-o<

Noiradelic

#1820 Post by Noiradelic » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Malickite wrote: He said they're getting Le Corbeau back. But it's fuzzy whether it's coming only to Filmstruck, or also DVD/Blu-ray.
Why would he bother to bring up Corbeau if it's only a temporary Filmstruck addition?
aox wrote:Now if only Criterion could get Contempt back. [-o<
40+ OOP StudioCanal titles -- think bigger!

jwd5275

#1821 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:26 pm

In reference to Le Corbeau, he specifically said it's great to get titles like these back on streaming. I don't think anything has changed with StudioCanal.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1822 Post by Drucker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 pm

I wish we could have a pinned post in this thread saying Studio Canal titles are not coming back en masse. They just released a Melville box set!

Graphist

#1823 Post by Graphist » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:08 pm

The Color of Pomegranates has been added to the FilmStruck Criterion channel!

I am thinking of writing to them to consider releasing the film as a standalone disk. What email should I use to do so? Thanks.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#1824 Post by Never Cursed » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 pm

mulvaney@criterion.com . I've contacted that address once regarding supplements on a past release and got a response in a couple days.

Clarence

#1825 Post by Clarence » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Judging by the length it looks like it might be the Armenian cut of the film. Really hope Criterion ends up releasing both cuts since both were restored by WCP.