Discuss TV shows old and new.
dwk

Re: Netflix Originals

#126 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#127 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 am

Gypsy with Naomi Watts has been canceled after one season-- I haven't watched it yet, but apparently it ended on a cliffhanger, so whoops there, creators

flyonthewall2983

#128 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:59 am

Swift

#129 Post by Swift » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Teaser trailer for Wormwood, a drama series (though one scene looks like documentary) from Errol Morris about the shady history of the CIA.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#130 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Cameron Swift wrote:Teaser trailer for Wormwood, a drama series (though one scene looks like documentary) from Errol Morris about the shady history of the CIA.
It is about evenly split between dramatic recreations and a more traditional documentary style, and it is pretty incredible.

Morris takes the ominous sense of dread and foreboding that he's long been able to conjure with expert overlaying of imagery, sound, and voiceover, and cranks it up until the dial falls off. Infused with psychedelia and paranoia, he investigates the opppressive crush of a single tragedy on a son and his family, and parallels it with the slow-motion, only half-realized moral tragedy the country as a whole has been undergoing for the past 70 years.

Wormwood feels like a culmination and extension of Morris' stylistic concerns, with multitudes of split screens, repetitions, and reexaminations, all in service of a quixotic attempt to reach truths that are both unknowable and tantalizingly close. The recreations are what really separates this from his prior work, and the cinematography and imagery in these sections were stunning, second only to the amazing soundtrack as the standout technical elements of the film.

I was apprehensive about spending the first 5+ hours of Telluride on something that will be probably the most widely available of all the offerings here in a few weeks, but watching it with its creator and subject, all in one sitting, was a unique and powerful experience.

Grand Wazoo

#131 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:32 am

Trailer for Long Shot, a short doc premiering at Telluride.

I'm definitely biased as I'm friends with the creators of this one, but I'm unbelievably proud of them and elated that this is finally being released after 5+ years of arduous work on their part. And good on Netflix for giving an avenue for shorter films like this to be widely seen.

flyonthewall2983

#132 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:44 am

I'm surprised HBO didn't get on this.

flyonthewall2983

#133 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Marvel's The Punisher. Maybe one of the best trailers I've seen in a while.

felipe

#134 Post by felipe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:44 pm

I started rewatching Lady Dynamite and from the very first scene the first episode has been heavily cut and edited. I don't know if they did it to the whole series, but now I don't even feel like watching it to find out. The series is not available on physical media, which makes it worse.

Is this the first case, or has Netflix done this to other series as well?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: TV of 2016

#135 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:31 pm

I just discovered that the 2016 season of Shin'ya Shokudo / Midnight Diner is on Netflix. I found this sort of by accident, because Nobuhiro Yamashita (Linda, Linda, Linda)has directed some of the episodes over the years since this started (2009) -- Joji Matsuoka seems to have directed most episodes, however.. As far as I can tell, none of the earlier seasons are available.

This really is a charming show, very low key -- and featuring lots of cooking of delicious looking food. Seen 4 episodes so far -- and was delighted to see young Korean actress KO Ah-sung (little sister in Host) show up in episode 4. Jo Odagiri seems to show up somewhere (at least briefly) in all the episodes.