Jerry Lewis on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
justeleblanc

#1 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:02 am

Does anyone know if Paramount is planning on releasing their other Jerry Lewis titles such as The Sad Sack, Rock-a-Bye Baby, The Geisha Boy, Don't Give Up the Ship, It'$ Only Money, or Who's Minding the Store? and why they didn't release these with their other Jerry Lewis box-set?

And does anyone know if Lewis's later directing efforts will see DVD release? Specifically Three on a Couch, The Big Mouth, and Hardly Working.

tavernier

#2 Post by tavernier » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:26 pm

What about The Day the Clown Cried? That deserves at least a 2-discer.

devlinnn

#3 Post by devlinnn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:25 pm

Lewis has stated in various, recent interviews (Larry King etc.) that more releases are on the way. I'm expecting a complete The Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis collection to be released around September, October. Hopefully Steve Lawerance will not be heard from.

His son also stated in an interview last year that another 20-odd films have already been prepped with Paramount. Again, why they are choosing to sit on these is anyone's guess. I'm desperate to catch The Big Mouth again, just to make sure it is still the masterpiece that I remember it to be.

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:19 am

devlinnn wrote:I'm expecting a complete The Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis collection to be released around September, October.
According to Davis DVD, the Martin and Lewis Collection is back on:
Originally announced last March for a June 13th release, Paramount's Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis Collection vol. One has been re-announced for release this October 31st. The eight-disc set (794 minutes) will include the films The Caddy, Jumping Jacks, Money From Home, My Friend Irma, My Friend Irma Goes West, Sailor Beware, Scared Stiff and That's My Boy, all with newly remastered transfers. Bonus materials - if any - or a retail price have not yet been revealed.

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:46 pm

I guess I'll have to wait for Volume 2 to get Artists and Models and Hollywood or Bust.

Jeff

#6 Post by Jeff » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:57 pm

matt wrote:I guess I'll have to wait for Volume 2 to get Artists and Models and Hollywood or Bust.
Those are the ones I'm after too. Who knows, maybe 2007 will be "the year of the Tashlin" again.

justeleblanc

#7 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Jeff wrote:
matt wrote:I guess I'll have to wait for Volume 2 to get Artists and Models and Hollywood or Bust.
Those are the ones I'm after too. Who knows, maybe 2007 will be "the year of the Tashlin" again.
And I'm still waiting for Who's Minding the Store, Geisha Boy, & Sad Sack... not to mention his post paramount films.

dx23

#8 Post by dx23 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:39 pm

From dvdactive.com:
The Weinstein Company has acquired the rights to produce a CG animated release of The Nutty Professor, with Genius Products handling distribution for this direct-to-DVD project.

The Weinsteins have enlisted the writing talent of Evan Spiliotopoulos and secured Jerry Lewis (creator, director and star of the original film) to provide his voice for the production. Lewis comments, "I am very excited about working with Harvey and Bob."

Canadian based Mainframe Entertainment will be handling the animation and production, with Gregory R. Little and Rick Mischel executive producing, "As a kid, Nutty Professor was my favorite comedy film. It's a real thrill for Mainframe to bring Jerry's comedic vision into CGI animation," said Mischel.

"It was always Jerry Lewis' vision to produce an animated version of The Nutty Professor and thanks to The Weinstein Company, Jerrys Lewis' dreams are being realised," said George Paige who has been confirmed as the producer.

This animated version is planned to be a more youthful and modern take on The Nutty Professor with a focus on Julius Kelp's grandson who takes the same formula his grandfather took and unleashes an ultra-cool but comically destructive alter-ego. When the alter-ego tries to take over, permanently, the nephew has to square off against himself to keep things from going out of control.

Matt

#9 Post by Matt » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:32 pm

devlinnn wrote:I'm expecting a complete The Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis collection to be released around September, October.
Classy cover art:

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:58 pm

Matt wrote:I guess I'll have to wait for Volume 2 to get Artists and Models and Hollywood or Bust.
Wait's over:
Paramount has set...a number of great titles for release on 6/5, including...Martin & Lewis Collection: Volume 2, which will include Living It Up, You're Never Too Young, Artists and Models, Pardners and Hollywood or Bust. (The Digital Bits)

Schkura

#11 Post by Schkura » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:44 pm

On a slightly different note, has anyone heard about a decent release for The King of Comedy?

planetjake

#12 Post by planetjake » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:05 pm

Anyone know when these came out? Maybe they're prepping for another Region 1 Box? I CHERISH the first box...

Trois bebes sur les bras

Le Kid en Kimono

justeleblanc

#13 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:53 am

planetjake wrote:Anyone know when these came out? Maybe they're prepping for another Region 1 Box? I CHERISH the first box...
Hrm. I kinda wished they did the Lewis boxes differently. One box for the six films he directed, one box for the twelve (or so) Paramount films he starred in but were directed by Tashlin et al, and one other box of just the Lewis and Martin films. Why on Earth they packaged THE STOOGE with the other films is beyond me.

Also, is Lewis's "LAAAAADY" legacy a product of WHO'S MINDING THE STORE? I saw that recently, liked it quite a bit, and do remember a LAAAADY type scene, though not exactly the one most impersonators recreate. Anyone?

Ashirg

#14 Post by Ashirg » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:16 am

Money from Home is coming from Paramount/Legend Films deal.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Jerry Lewis on DVD

#15 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:47 pm

All three Lewis Paramount boxes are OOP. The non-Tashlin Martin and Lewis set is going for $80-- better get the good one while it's still affordable!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Which Way to the Front and Cracking Up are coming out via Warner Archives

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:42 pm

The thus-far unreleased Three on a Couch and the Big Mouth are airing on TCM next Friday, March 16, at 4 and 6PM EST

Cash Flagg

#18 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:02 pm

Were there any extras on the R2 discs of Rock a-Bye Baby or Geisha Boy? I can't seem to find any info on them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I have the R4 releases, which I believe are direct ports, and there weren't (that I can recall)

Cash Flagg

#20 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Okay, thanks - I just ordered both on Blu-ray and was worried that I might be missing out.

knives

#21 Post by knives » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:24 pm

You'll be missing out on subs though if that's important.

rockysds

#22 Post by rockysds » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am

July 15th

hearthesilence

#23 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Tempting. Two of those are supposed to be masterpieces…I've had a tough time appreciating him as a comic genius, but maybe these will change my mind? I've only seen excerpts from these particular titles, and the mise-en-scène is indeed brilliant, at times the equal of Jacques Tati's best work. The problem for me is the persona he inhabits as a performer - the personality is just too obnoxious and broad for my tastes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Ladies Man and the Patsy are great and the other two are okay, but none are bad films

hearthesilence

#25 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:04 pm

I wasn't even thinking of The Patsy, I heard The Bellboy was arguably his best screen performance - isn't it multiple roles or something of that nature?