It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:32 am 

It was never planned for June - it was still touring from Janus then, and the page indicated it would release late this year. The fact there's two different concepts up there does indicate maybe he was just referring to being invited to pitch some ideas and they went in another direction, but it could also just correctly mean it was canceled.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 pm 

A few days ago I noticed that the Cinema Arcana Upcoming DVD & Blu-Ray Releases of Note page (the one that had Night of the Living Dead listed a long time before it was announced as a Janus Films' title) has The Day After as an upcoming, undated Criterion release. I assume it is the TV movie and not the Hong Sangsoo film, but I could be wrong in that assumption.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pm 

Janus has acquired the US and UK rights to Abbas Kiarostami's final film 24 FRAMES and
Quote:
The Criterion Collection will restore select Kiarostami films later in 2018. 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:34 am 

Is it time yet to unlock the "Quarantined Guess" thread? Tomorrow's the 13th. With any luck we'll get announcements before the weekend.

I believe the only unannounced releases for a newsletter clue are "The Breakfast Club" and "Tom Jones". Correct?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:36 am 

DeprongMori wrote:
Is it time yet to unlock the "Quarantined Guess" thread? Tomorrow's the 13th. With any luck we'll get announcements before the weekend.

I believe the only unannounced releases for a newsletter clue are "The Breakfast Club" and "Tom Jones". Correct?

The pinned post in this forum also includes Midnight Cowboy, but the clue was from 2013 and nothing yet, so who knows if that one is actually coming.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 am 

KJones77 wrote:
DeprongMori wrote:

The pinned post in this forum also includes Midnight Cowboy, but the clue was from 2013 and nothing yet, so who knows if that one is actually coming.

That clue was for Il sorpasso

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:58 am 

Was it really? I've always thought that was some ridiculous inside joke on this forum?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 am 

That clue was for Il Sorpasso. Really.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 am 

It looks like Sony is buying FUNimation.

Does FUNimation have any obvious choice films that Criterion would go after? The only thing that comes immediately to mind is the former laserdisc title: Akira and of course Chuck E. Cheese in the Galaxy 5000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:26 am 

FLCL would be cool. Realistically though Shin Godzilla, Ghost in the Shell, and few other similar things.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am 

FUNimation has the rights to a number of Japanese animated films, some of them highly acclaimed (like Your Name), as well as the WWII propaganda animated feature Momotaro, Sacred Sailors. But I think FUNimation has released, or has plans to release, most of these.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm 

kcota17 wrote:
Was it really? I've always thought that was some ridiculous inside joke on this forum?
It began as a serious attempt to explain why Midnight Cowboy hadn't materialized, then it became a joke, then it became a meta-joke, and now I guess is treated as fact since it's been like 2 years now without a Midnight Cowboy release.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:42 pm 

jedgeco wrote:
kcota17 wrote:
It began as a serious attempt to explain why Midnight Cowboy hadn't materialized, then it became a joke, then it became a meta-joke, and now I guess is treated as fact since it's been like 2 years now without a Midnight Cowboy release.
well who would think a picture of an ill, sore opossum was not for midnight cowboy? Only crazy people, that's who.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:46 pm 

Frankly I'd be willing to believe that Criterion stopped doing the annual Wexner Q&A just to avoid addressing the question

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:57 pm 

movielocke wrote:
well who would think a picture of an ill, sore opossum was not for midnight cowboy? Only crazy people, that's who.

And who would think to put those precise adjectives in that order, and to fudge the pronunciation of "opossum" into "passo," to come up with the title for a film that few people had heard of before?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:58 pm 

Or to draw an opossum to look like a rat, so...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:05 pm 

swo17 wrote:
movielocke wrote:

And who would think to put those precise adjectives in that order, and to fudge the pronunciation of "opossum" into "passo," to come up with the title for a film that few people had heard of before?

speaking of which, when are we going to get Las Hurdes since we never got anything for that lean, cow herd clue they drew of starving cattle?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:17 pm 

Quote:
fudge the pronunciation of "opossum" into "passo"?

Opossums are also commonly known as "Possums," singular "Possum"

It's a fucking ill sore possum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm 

movielocke wrote:
swo17 wrote:
movielocke wrote:

speaking of which, when are we going to get Las Hurdes since we never got anything for that lean, cow herd clue they drew of starving cattle?

If you can't tell the difference between the best clue they've ever given and the worst, then let me remind you:

1. Lean/Coward was solved within the day it was given (though it did take a while).
2. It only required the unlocking of one adjective to decipher the clue. (There may be many ways to convey "lean" but there are not that many ways to describe cattle.)
3. The 'h' in "herd" is practically silent so it is a very simple matter to pronounce "cow herd" and have "coward" come to mind.
4. Once the clue was solved it was pretty universally agreed that that had to be the answer, and that it was a great clue.

In contrast, as far as I'm aware,

1. No one guessed "ill, sore possum" until after Il sorpasso had been announced. (Long after?)
2. While most people have eventually come around to this being the solution, it took a while for this to happen--there was never an "a-ha!" moment.
3. While "ill" and "sore" appear to be true of the creature as drawn, there are any number of ways to describe these same conditions, and it's not as though "ill, sore" is any kind of a common phrase.
4. No one has ever described this clue in glowing terms.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:04 pm 

You know what they could do to really fuck with us? Release MIDNIGHT COWBOY, that's what.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:07 pm 

Or if they ever do acquire Midnight Cowboy, they should put the exact same "ill, sore..." clue in the newsletter just before they release it. Or are they even that aware of the shenanigans here?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:27 pm 

FWIW, I wrote to the artist about a year ago and asked him if he could possibly put this one to bed finally, but he never responded. If anyone knows him personally, that's the only way to be sure. (Other than nuking the site from orbit.)

But seriously, it is both "ill" (running a temperature) and "sore" (bandaged tail), and a "possum". The film was announced in a big deal Digipak precisely three months after the newsletter clue dropped, which is in the normal range for reveals of all newsletter clues. On the other hand, more than two years later, still no "Midnight Cowboy".

If you still believe this was a clue for "Midnight Cowboy" rather than "Il Sorpasso", let me assure you the moon landing was real too.

Last edited by DeprongMori on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:59 pm 

Correction to my previous post: It has been nearly FOUR YEARS since the newsletter clue in question was issued - November 2013 - not two years.

("Il Sorpasso" was announced in January 2014 -- three months after the clue dropped.)

I think we can safely conclude by this time that "Midnight Cowboy" was a reasonable guess at the time that turned out to be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:24 am 

I spend the day at the Bunny Museum, and come back to find new announcements. Anyway:

Election - Confirmed Feb 16 by a podcast, then several more confirmations more recently

General Idi Amin Dada - Upgrade, complete surprise (as is the usual case with upgrades)

Monterey Pop - Janus tour, confirmed by Criterion for UK
----------------------------------------------------------
Interesting to get a re-release. They've been doing different things this year - like the partial Eclipse upgrade (Good Morning) and now a 2nd blu upgrade. I'll take a guess that Chungking Express will be blu upgrade #3.

268 DVD upgrades remain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:39 pm 

Minkin wrote:
I spend the day at the Bunny Museum

I'm fairly local to there and actually went to their opening night party for their new location where I got in conversations with some real bunny obsessed folk. Did you enjoy it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 80  Next