It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Kill Baby... Kill!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 pm 

"In 1966, after a three-year hiatus, director Mario Bava (Black Sunday, The Girl Who Knew Too Much) returned to his preferred stomping ground of horror, conjuring up a spine-tingling tale of Gothic terror whose influence would resonate within the genre for years to come.

In the early 20th century, pathologist Dr Paul Eswai (Giacomo Rossi-Stuart, The Last Man on Earth) is summoned to a remote Carpathian village to perform an autopsy on a woman who died under mysterious circumstances. With the locals convinced they are being haunted by the spirit of a young girl who died years ago, can the steadfastly rational doctor find a logical explanation to the strange goings-on… or will his rational beliefs be destroyed by the dark secret that lies within the crumbling walls of the ancient Villa Graps?

Co-starring the unforgettable Erika Blanc (The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave, So Sweet… So Perverse), Kill, Baby… Kill! arrived at the tail-end of the golden age of Italian horror and is regarded by many as Bava’s masterpiece.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Restored 2K high definition digital transfer
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Tim Lucas, author of Mario Bava – All the Colors of the Dark
• The Devil’s Daughter: Mario Bava and the Gothic Child, a new video essay by critic Kat Ellinger
• Kill, Bava, Kill!, an interview with assistant director Lamberto Bava
• Yellow, Semih Tareen’s short film homage to the cinema of Mario Bava
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by critic Travis Crawford"

Post subject: Re: Kill Baby... Kill!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:54 pm 

Wonderful to have it confirmed! My favourite Bava. Bring. It. On.

Post subject: Kill Baby... Kill!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:01 pm 

Who is expected to release this in the US? Kino?

EDIT: Yes, Kino. And it comes out next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:07 am 

This is great news.

Best gothic horror of the '60s although it is also much more than that.

Will this be the same as the recent German Blu ray?

Has anyone watched the German release - happy with it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:48 am 

DVD Beaver has reviewed the German Blu-ray. It seems likely that Arrow will be using the same new scan of the film, although maybe with some further tweaks.

Interestingly, Kino Lorber has pulled the pre-order links from Amazon and their website. I doubt that they have cancelled their release altogether, though.

UPDATE: In fact I just received the German Blu-ray/DVD set, but it's still shrinkwrapped. I'm going view it once and then sell it. PM me if you're interested, U.S. shipping only.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:08 am 

OK, I broke down and watched the German Blu-ray. I'm still pretty astonished at what I saw. If you think you've seen this film before, you haven't. I've always loved it. But seeing it again, it's so tense and atmospheric, it has to be one of Bava's absolute masterpieces. It's a f---ing masterpiece, period.

Apparently they used German elements for this restoration--it has German titles. I've never seen the color look this rich before, and it's full of texture and grain. All sorts of details that I hadn't noticed before keep popping out. The DVD Beaver screen captures give you some idea what to expect, but it looks even better in motion. If anything, I think that DVD Beaver somewhat undersells how much better it looks and what impact this has on the experience of the film.

If I have one minor complaint, it's that the German Blu-ray in a couple places seems to have trouble with the grain. I suspect that Arrow will top it in terms of compression and encoding. But don't get me wrong, the German Blu-ray still looks great. (I'm assuming that Arrow is using the same restoration, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't.)

The English dub also sounds great--again, I'm hearing details on the soundtrack that I've never heard before. I can't wait to watch the Arrow release with the Italian soundtrack and English subtitles!

This restoration looks and sounds good enough to justify a theatrical release on DCP. (Kino?) I'd like to see a revival of the film beyond just a standard Blu-ray release.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:49 pm 

Arrow's facebook has announced the final specs, adding a few extras:

* Erika in Fear, an interview with actress Erika Blanc
* Introduction by Erika Blanc
* German opening titles
* Vintage Kill, Baby... Kill! photo-comic
* Image gallery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 pm 

Beaver