It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MoviePass
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:43 pm 

Drucker wrote:
Yes after complaining I got my card last week, used it Monday and it was incredibly easy. No complaints yet!

Not even with the movie you saw?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm 

Don't guilt me about not posting a review Mr. Swo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm 

Rather significant new language in the revised terms of service:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:36 pm 

Hah, not surprised - there's no way the current deal can be sustainable. I've had my card for two weeks and already I've caught four films I was already planning to see, each with a standard admission of $15 (typical NYC prices). Over the next six weeks, I've got six more I had already planned to go to, plus at minimum another four I may see now that I have this pass. That's well over $200 in admissions for $20.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:05 pm 

LQ and I haven't used it in over a month. Had film festival badges for a few days, took a couple trips, etc - but still feel like a goon for having this service and not taking full advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:13 pm 

I should think that real life getting in the way + the dearth of worthwhile movies during some months would counterbalance much of the advantage that people have been getting initially.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:27 pm 

Most likely yes, but again, you just need to see one film a month here in NYC to make back your monthly admission and save $5 in the process. What got me to sign up this time (besides the price) is that BAM, Lincoln Center and Metrograph (as well as Quad, IFC, Lincoln Plaza and the Angelika) joined in. That's big because they're pretty heavy on repertory programming. I barely saw any new films during the summer and possibly spring months this year, but there was definitely plenty of good repertory screenings going on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:53 pm 

Those new terms of service are a complete bait and switch and if they pull any funny shit, the backlash would be big enough to drive them back to the unknown hole they were in to begin with. I wish there was some consumer protection laws against this kind of bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
I know they said the initial offer is limited, but they guarantee it will stay at that rate for at least twelve months

So I guess "guarantees" mean nothing to them heh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:33 am 

Since when is the price changing? That legal language is pretty standard stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 am 

Are we sure that's all new language? I thought I remembered reading something like that when the offer came out. Also, if you are allowed to cancel at any point that they suddenly jack up the price, where is the harm to the consumer?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 am 

Quote:
MoviePass reserves the right to change the rules of movie-going attendance and ticket availability to members in connection with the Service at anytime. MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month. MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month.

I think it's that last line that's going to be the bigger issue: The idea that there could be a cap on the service we are already paying for, and we won't know what that cap is until we hit it.

Of course, MoviePass's financial situation seems very shaky as it is, so anything they can do to keep themselves in business is a plus for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 pm 

swo17 wrote:
Are we sure that's all new language? I thought I remembered reading something like that when the offer came out.

You are correct. This has always been part of the ToS. But obviously nobody bothered to read them and are now finding "changes" that never happened.

Here is an excerpt from the old terms:

Quote:
27.3 Capped Plans - MoviePass may make changes to any products or services offered on the Site, or to the applicable prices for any such products or services, at any time, without prior notice. MoviePass reserves the right to change the rules of movie-going attendance and ticket availability to members at anytime. MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month. MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month. You will be notified of any changes made to the terms of service prior to your next billing cycle, at which point you would have 14 days to opt-out of the service. MoviePass will not make any changes to your plan mid-cycle, all changes will be in affect at the start of your next billing cycle. MoviePass is not responsible for theater programming, cancellations, or rescheduled performances.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170911214 ... tent/terms

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm 

In case $9.95 was too rich for your blood, MoviePass is offering $89.95 for one year for a limited time. They claim that "Once your year is up, your plan will convert back into your $9.95 a month. Offer valid until it's not. Limit two per household."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:16 pm 

Members should be getting an email that will allow you to switch your plan beginning at the next billing cycle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 pm 

mfunk9786 wrote:
In case $9.95 was too rich for your blood, MoviePass is offering $89.95 for one year for a limited time. They claim that "Once your year is up, your plan will convert back into your $9.95 a month. Offer valid until it's not. Limit two per household."

Update: I did this, on their website (can't do it through the app) and it was a relatively painless process. I would recommend that you update your payment method (if necessary... I opted to put this on a good rewards credit card since it was suddenly a sizeable chunk of change) in the app, and then go onto the website to do this if you aren't going to want to use the card you already have on file. It's basically a couple button presses and boom, you're scheduled to pay $89.95 on your next billing date instead of $9.95, then they won't bother you for a year. This went from being a really great bargain to being an astonishing bargain.