swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3751 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Lubitsch in Berlin on Blu-ray!

TMDaines

#3752 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:00 am

Soon MoC will have exhausted the option of releasing silents via Blu-ray upgrades, so hopefully then they'll start going off -piste.

rapta

#3754 Post by rapta » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Doubt it. I notice others have jumped to the same conclusion but I don't know if the clue is as literal as that. I reckon it's either more details about the Keaton set, the upcoming Wilder title, or a surprise announcement.

During the announcements the other week they said the Keaton set would be detailed on the 27th though - along with the other October titles - which obviously aren't for another week:
Update! We can confirm that our previously announced Masters of Cinema Blu-ray Box set containing the new Cohen 4K restorations of Buster Keaton's THE GENERAL, SHERLOCK JR and STEAMBOAT BILL JR, will feature as part of our October line-up, which we expect to reveal full details for on 27 July 2017
I would love to see a Lynch title join MoC though. Aren't most of the rights with Universal though, or possibly Dino De Laurentiis? A couple are definitely with StudioCanal too (The Elephant Man, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire). I think The Straight Story is with Film4 via Disney, which is a shame.

rapta

#3755 Post by rapta » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 am

Amazon UK listings have leaked the October titles again...
SpoilerShow
BUSTER KEATON: THREE FILMS 1924-1928 [Masters of Cinema] (Limited Edition Blu-ray) - link
THE VIKINGS [Eureka Classics] (Blu-ray) - link
THE PARTY [Eureka Classics] (Blu-ray) - link
All three are for October 16th. :)

Ribs

#3756 Post by Ribs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:43 am

...does Blake Edwards not count as a Master of Cinema?

FrauBlucher

#3757 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm

The Keaton box is called limited edition. I can't imagine if the boxset sells out that they will no longer be able to sell the Keaton films. Will they then sell the films individually? is there precedence going from box set to standalone editions?

What A Disgrace

#3758 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Ribs wrote:...does Blake Edwards not count as a Master of Cinema?
Richard Fleischer got dumped on again as well, I see.

tojoed

#3759 Post by tojoed » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:00 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Neither of them are or were "masters of cinema", what's the problem?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3760 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:09 pm

The Vikings is not a masterwork of cinema either

rapta

#3761 Post by rapta » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:15 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Both directors are MoC-worthy in my opinion, but being 'relegated' to Eureka Classics doesn't mean they're given any less love by Eureka. Fleischer's Violent Saturday is perhaps the most MoC-worthy of those 'classics', from what I can tell.

Also, you could probably argue Mulligan was a 'master of cinema' but perhaps seeing as The Other wasn't exactly the film that made his name they decided to make it Eureka Classics.

This debate comes around every time a classic film isn't released as MoC...
FrauBlucher wrote:The Keaton box is called limited edition. I can't imagine if the boxset sells out that they will no longer be able to sell the Keaton films. Will they then sell the films individually? is there precedence going from box set to standalone editions?
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Will the separate reissues not have booklets, similar to what Arrow do with some box sets? Would be a shame to see MoC begin to shed booklets for standard issues. Alternatively, perhaps there will be some exclusive booklet material in the box set not available in the standard editions, similar to Man with a Movie Camera and The Passion of Joan of Arc?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#3762 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:42 pm

rapta wrote:Both directors are MoC-worthy in my opinion, but being 'relegated' to Eureka Classics doesn't mean they're given any less love by Eureka. Fleischer's Violent Saturday is perhaps the most MoC-worthy of those 'classics', from what I can tell.
Violent Saturday is certainly lesser Fleischer, and I say this as someone who loves films like The New Centurions. It's a bit of a mess covered by the fact that you have an excellent cast and some great Cinemascope photography. And I feel like it would've been blasphemous to say even a decade ago, but I never found The Party to be an exceptional comedy. I felt like it was constantly mentioned as such when I was a teenager, but I feel like it was partially from the wave of nostalgia for the go-go 60s that died with Austin Powers in Goldmember. It's been a while since I seen it, but I admired the fact that it's essentially an entire film that functions similarly to the final dinner scene from Tati's Playtime, but no where near at humanistic, sweet, or just plain funny.

What A Disgrace

#3763 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:59 pm

tojoed wrote:
What A Disgrace wrote:
Neither of them are or were "masters of cinema", what's the problem?
I must admit that, in the light of Edmond Goulding, Erle C. Kenton, Sydney Pollack and George Stevens, its hard to think too highly of Blake Edwards and Richard Fleischer. :roll:

lzx

#3764 Post by lzx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:14 am

Having just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time, I fully endorse this decision.

Ribs

#3765 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am

Is November the first time they've just straight-up not had any MoC releases at all? Eureka's got a habit of announcing things in between formal "announcement days" so it might turn out something will pop up, I guess.

Finch

#3766 Post by Finch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:24 am

Would seem odd for MoC to release nothing in November. Probably a separate announcement following soon. Two exciting choices for 2018 though I wish they'd decided to release the Old Dark House concurrent with Cohen for Halloween this year.

peerpee
not perpee

#3767 Post by peerpee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:20 pm

lzx wrote:
Having just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time, I fully endorse this decision.
Have a look at Indicator's Blu-ray of Edwards' EXPERIMENT IN TERROR and you might have to remove your endorsement.

Dr Amicus

#3768 Post by Dr Amicus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:18 am

peerpee wrote:
lzx wrote:
Have a look at Indicator's Blu-ray of Edwards' EXPERIMENT IN TERROR and you might have to remove your endorsement.
When I was an undergrad at Canterbury in the late 80s, Steve Neale ran a course on Comedy Film. I didn't get on the module - had to make do with my second choice of Rossellini - but I attended some of the screenings, and I remember Neale had a very high opinion of Edwards, especially his use of wide-screen.

Forrest Taft

#3769 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:06 am

Dave Kehr is also a huge admirerer, highlighting his mise-en-scene, and use of the wide-screen. Surprisnigly, he cosideres 10 to be Edward's masterpiece. I like the film, but not nearly as much as Kehr. His longform review of it, available in his book, makes a good case for the merits of the film, though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3770 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:51 pm

I had a professor I greatly respected who was in college overseas when the film criticism explosion was happening in the seventies and I remember her telling me that all of her politically-minded friends completely shunned narrative film for experimental non-narrative works with the exception of Blake Edwards, who everyone thought was the height of subversion. It bothered me then and it bothers me now to think of anyone throwing away everything but Blake Edwards!

Apperson

#3771 Post by Apperson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Amazon has once again spoiled tomorrow's announcements, which in my opinion are the most exciting in some time:
SpoilerShow
HOUSE [HAUSU] (Masters of Cinema) - Blu-ray Edition - February 12th (link)

MICHAEL (Masters of Cinema) - Blu-ray Edition - February 12th (link)

THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA (Masters of Cinema) - Dual Format Edition - March 12th (link)

LEGEND OF THE MOUNTAIN (Masters of Cinema) - Dual Format Edition - March 19th (link)
Last edited by Apperson on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AK

#3772 Post by AK » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:38 pm

What a strong lineup! Yay!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3773 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Of course, I just bought the TT Mank

rapta

#3774 Post by rapta » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Definitely up for Legend of the Mountain, House, and Michael, and will pick up the Mankiewicz at a later date. A very good MoC line-up after a bit of up-and-down these past few months (with the exception of the Keaton set).

House is a pretty big surprise to be honest. I already posted on the BR.com forums about this, but I remember quizzing Kevin from MoC on why they didn't upgrade it, even just as a limited edition. I think they implied it didn't sell particularly well, so it's interesting to see them decide to upgrade it now rather than back then (this was a few years ago).

I've just found a comment from Kevin when he was at Eureka (from Blu-ray.com; he now works for Arrow, last I checked). Here's one following up my response to somebody asking if House would ever be upgraded, where I explained that it was my belief Eureka were no longer interested in upgrading it:
Not that we're not interested. Criterion own the restoration which, at the moment, we don't have access too. That's all.
That was from March 2016, so it's interesting to note that within 2 years they've somehow managed to source the HD master. I'm guessing they got it from Toho rather than Criterion directly, unless it was a trade-off for something, but unlike Arrow I don't imagine Eureka would be holding something brilliantly restored like Time Bandits to be able to swap another title...right? All I can think of is that they helped them out with The Passion of Joan of Arc, but Janus should be perfectly fine figuring that out for themselves (via Gaumont, I think).
Last edited by rapta on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#3775 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:30 pm

If Toho (or most any other licensor) told Criterion to license their master to another company, Criterion would.