MoviePass and Other Cinema Subscription Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: MoviePass

#51 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:21 pm

To give you an idea of how popular this price drop was: MoviePass now has 150,000+ members - they had 20,000 in December

Ribs

#52 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 pm

It is absolutely insane how defensive people are being of a company most of them had not heard of before last week. AMC *should* pull out; they have the option to prevent a huge disruption to their brand and the industry if they're able to do so. It's very strange loyalty to a brand that hasn't really earned it.

(I've seen the prospect raised that AMC's solution, long-term, might be to offer their own subscription service, which would probably be priced at least vaguely within reason, and be less totally condescending to the average consumer in doing so. It'd still totally change what going to the movies is and/or means, though.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#53 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 pm

I don't understand what reason there is for any theater not to participate in this program, if MoviePass pays them the going price of a ticket at the time of each viewing. How are the theaters ever out anything?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:50 pm

I think their reasoning is that once MoviePass collapses, which they not unreasonably believe will occur sooner than later, moviegoers accustomed to paying so little for movies will be resistant to paying "retail" for tickets and eventually hurt business

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#55 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:50 pm

That sounds like a slippery slope argument!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:51 pm

I've been set up!

Ribs

#57 Post by Ribs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Moviepass is losing $10 on anyone who sees two movies, essentially. They will likely suffer a deluge of people going a dozen times a month, each of which causes $100 lost a month. Moviepass will rapidly, rapidly go into debt and be totally unable to sustain its pricing for more than the shortest of terms, shutting down or suddenly being required to raise its prices (regardless of what's been promised, Moviepass has past form at doing this.) There is totally legitimate concern that, upset at losing this deal, a sizable proportion of the people who had a subscription will lose interest in going to the movies having been living the sweet life not paying for their own tickets. This lack of interest could severely cripple the theaters, and AMC has already taken on a lot of debt on its own upgrading its theaters nationwide to have fancy seats and the like. Their concern is long-term, not short-term.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#58 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Ribs wrote:Moviepass will rapidly, rapidly go into debt and be totally unable to sustain its pricing for more than the shortest of terms
How do you know? Have you run the numbers? There will be overusers to be sure, but there will also be plenty of people who are much more casual about it, go months without there being anything they want to see, etc. I'm not saying I know what the right price is here, but I would assume they have some kind of support for being able to go this low.
domino harvey wrote:I think their reasoning is that once MoviePass collapses, which they not unreasonably believe will occur sooner than later, moviegoers accustomed to paying so little for movies will be resistant to paying "retail" for tickets and eventually hurt business
I still don't get it though, because they're effectively turning away 100% of MoviePass customers now in order to hopefully avoid losing some unknown percentage of them at some vague future date.

dx23

#59 Post by dx23 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Has anyone received the card?

Grand Wazoo

#60 Post by Grand Wazoo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:24 pm

My girlfriend signed up with the new promotion and just received her card yesterday, except instead of one she received four! Looking at her account showed four numbers/cards attached to it, so perhaps the website going haywire contributed to this + other instances like it. She reached out to support and I can only assume they'll remedy the issue quickly.

I have been using the service in NJ/NYC for about 18 months now and I love it. I've had no issues at all, and the one time I went to see an eligible film that did not show up via the app for whatever reason, I called their support number, gave info about the film, time, and location to an actual human on the other end, and within a minute had the situation straightened out and was able to make my purchase. I liked MoviePass it back when I was charged $50/mo since I tend to go to the theater numerous times a month in a city with $14-$16 tickets, so the lowering to $10 is absurd.

dda1996a

#61 Post by dda1996a » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:05 pm

Hope this doesn't sound too sketchy, but I am in NYC at the moment and would like to attend at least three screenings for the week and a half I'm here. What are the chances of someone loaning me the card for three showings? I want to attend The Passenger at the Metrograph on the 29th, the Godard double bill at the Film Forum and hopefully one of the Roegs at the Quad. I don't mind paying 10 for those three showings.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#62 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Our cards arrived. Will update here on how our first attempt to use it works tomorrow or Wednesday. It’s indeed a branded MasterCard and looks totally fool proof provided that the location tracking on your phone is working reliably.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#63 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:51 pm

First attempt worked excellently - first check-in is a little clunky as you have to verify the last 4 digits of your card and then go back in and check-in again. But beyond that, the funds immediately become available on the card when you check in, within seconds as far as I could tell, and there was no problem using it. The ticket we bought was $12.50, so the first month has already paid for itself.

Luke M

#64 Post by Luke M » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:30 pm

I signed mostly on the basis of this thread. I hope to receive the card next week.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#65 Post by cdnchris » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:38 pm

So in a family I'm assuming I would have to get a membership/card for each person. But then I would have to buy each ticket separately?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#66 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 pm

Yes, "1 for _____," "1 for _____," etc etc, separate transactions with each card.

wattsup32

#67 Post by wattsup32 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 pm

The FAQ says that you not only need a separate card for each person, but you need a separate smart phone. So, if your kids don't have a smart phone (as mine do not) it does no good to get them a membership. They can't go through the app on your phone.

From the FAQ:

"Every MoviePass account must have its own unique iPhone/Android. Sharing a phone may result in redemption issues, which can prevent you from using the service. We wouldn’t want you to miss your film!"

cdnchris
Site Admin

#68 Post by cdnchris » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:49 pm

Well damm, guess I'll actually have to keep paying for shit like The Emoji Movie.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#69 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 pm

While I don't doubt that FAQ answer, it doesn't seem like it would be so difficult to log in, check in to the film, log out and then log in under a different account and do it again - then go up and pay for the tickets.

A huge pain in the ass? Yes. But impossible? I wonder.

EDIT: Also in the FAQ, MoviePass mentions that it hopes to roll out couples (c'mon, if two adults can't manage each buying their own movie ticket...) and family plans in the future.

Magic Hate Ball

#70 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Got my "two to three weeks" email, even though the app is telling me my card was shipped. Most of the app doesn't work - I'm assuming I have to somehow activate my account when I get my card, which activates the app? It doesn't even show local theaters, which is odd.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#71 Post by Drucker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm told the app doesn't work until you get your card.

I too was billed last month and have not gotten my card so I'll be pissed until I get the card.

mdduran

#72 Post by mdduran » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:26 pm

It has been 27 days since I signed up for MoviePass on 8/16. MoviePass debited my credit card for service on 8/17. I have received no card and no response from their so-called customer support during that time. This is ridiculous and the worst experience I have ever had from any company. Moviepass has my money. Why do I not have the product I purchased?

tavernier

#73 Post by tavernier » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:28 pm

I signed up on 8/15 and finally got my card yesterday.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#74 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:36 pm

That's outrageous - I guess we were lucky to get our cards as quickly as we did. It won't charge you for your second month until a month after you activate and use your card for the first time, so I wouldn't worry about the fact that you were charged for your first month when you were - that will go toward your first month with the card in your possession, then billing will continue from there.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#75 Post by Drucker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Yes after complaining I got my card last week, used it Monday and it was incredibly easy. No complaints yet!