The Thing

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

rapta

Re: The Thing

#76 Post by rapta » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:49 pm

Despite this being Arrow's biggest ever title, it seems they underestimated this level of demand. They've sold out of both initial editions on their own store, and other retailers will likely go too before the release date. I reckon a majority of stock will go to Amazon, a healthy amount to HMV too (they still have B&M stores as well as a website), and Zavvi and other retailers receiving a smaller portion.

Judging by comments on the Blu-ray forums as well as social media, seems like a lot of people pre-ordered multiple copies in the furore. I myself accidentally ordered two copies direct from Arrow, and have since cancelled one (I was immediately refunded). However, I also have a back-up at Amazon and plan on cancelling it sometime between now and October. I'm sure there are others in a similar position to me, and therefore this will come in and out of stock before release date until they actually do run out of copies.

In terms of likelihood of cancellations, I've heard mixed things about Amazon and Zavvi. Some say Amazon have cancelled Arrow pre-orders in the past due to them overselling their allocation, others have no complaints and found them to be more reliable. I think you're safe with Zavvi, but they're notoriously difficult with packaging and returns for many customers (but not all; I've received box sets in mint condition, and tracking even when I didn't opt for it).

Therefore Arrow was the best bet with this one - hence why I jumped at the chance to use up my reward points on it (accrued after buying The Human Condition and Dekalog in their flash sale some months back). For UK folk who missed out on getting it from Arrow, I'd pre-order from Amazon if you can and then keep an eye on HMV (and Zavvi if you're desperate); for international folk, next best bet seems to be either Amazon UK or DiabolicDVD (according to the above comment).

All said and done, I bet a standard edition will be announced shortly (perhaps with a slipcover). I also expect more extras will be confirmed in the next couple of months, perhaps even a soundtrack CD or extra bonus disc if we're really lucky. Cannot wait to receive this one, my most anticipated Arrow Video title to date - could possibly only be topped by something by Leone, Jodorowsky or Soderbergh (off the top of my head; there are probably a handful more if I thought a bit harder).

Calvin

#77 Post by Calvin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Orlac wrote:Universal released the 1951 Thing as part of the RKO range they inherited from Polygram. However, since then, it seems the UK rights to the RKO library are moving over to Warners, if the likes of the UK BDs of King Kong and Cat People are anything to go by.
You're correct, and Arrow did try to do a deal for it. Obviously without success, so hopefully Warner have their own plans for it.

PianoMan88

#78 Post by PianoMan88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Thank you for the details rapta!

I tried something today on Amazon UK, put both editions (LE and Steelbook) in my cart and tried to by another copy of each (I had already ordered 1 copy of each from Amazon earlier).

Right before the final payment page, there was a notice beside the Steelbook edition saying that I had reached my maximum number of copies allocated for that edition, and the quantity was reduced to 0. It did not let me go further with it. The LE seems to be fine for multiple orders. It seems Amazon is going to cancel orders beyond 1 of all the steelbooks, hence this can explain the sudden availability of it for Pre-Order.

As for the movie, I just did not anticipate such a fury over it, obviously underestimating the demand. I always thought Donnie Darko was one of their biggest titles (in terms of international acclaim) but it seems The Thing has a much more fanatic following.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#79 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:04 pm

***THE THING RELEASE UPDATES***

It is official, our THE THING release has been our biggest ever announcement - so big that our very own website collapsed under the force of this beast!

We really appreciate all the feedback you’ve provided in relation to this title over the last few days and we are taking all your points on board. As a result of all your comments, we’ve reviewed our print run and are pleased to announce that we will be upping the replication of THE THING Limited Edition set from 4,000 to 6,000. The SteelBook will remain limited to 4,000. We are also keeping a close eye on all orders coming in (as will our retail partners) and excessive multiple orders will be cancelled to ensure as many of our dedicated fans can get hold of this release as possible. Lastly, all current pre-orders that have been placed will be fulfilled so do order with confidence!

If you haven’t yet, you can still pre-order the Limited Edition set and SteelBook from Amazon via the links below…
Pre-order the Limited Edition set via Amazon here: http://amzn.to/2v9zMjx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pre-order the SteelBook edition via Amazon here: http://amzn.to/2v9XhsN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once again we can only apologise for the bumpy ride this weekend and want to thank you all for your endless patience and support over the weekend, we really appreciate it!

Team Arrow

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#80 Post by tenia » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 pm

I was about to say "2 000 more seem a tad light" but I guess that's either this or people ranting about how the LE wouldn't be really limited even if it's still technically limited.

Ribs

#81 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm

With the rate it sold out it would probably still sell out before release with 10k. Depending how quickly these are burnt through it's not impossible we see the number increase again.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#82 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Arrow deserve all the credit in the world for handling this as best as can be expected. Increase the original run, clamp down on scalpers, and fulfilling all placed orders.

Banasa

#83 Post by Banasa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm

I like to imagine there is a message board out there strictly for scalpers grinding their teeth at this decision.

rapta

#84 Post by rapta » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 pm

50% increase on the limited print run of the LE digipack? Very cool, Arrow.

I actually posted elsewhere that in an ideal world they'd do that, and they actually did! Some thought they'd up both LE releases to 5000, but 6000 for the digipack is a better option, especially since it's selling out faster. Good on 'em.

Also nice to see them take fairness into account, cancelling mass orders of those who are clearly only there to scalp.

BallyhooMotionPics

#85 Post by BallyhooMotionPics » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 pm

rapta wrote:As for the disc itself, the new docs sound great and the booklet will be worthwhile - I even like the artwork for the digipack version. This is my favourite Carpenter so I have no hesitation in getting this straight away. I have a feeling they will add more to the extras but haven't finalised them yet - perhaps they're looking to license some from Shout Factory, or maybe they're still licensing or producing some others. After all, supposedly Carpenter and Cundey are involved in the restoration so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't even try to interview them directly.
I'm Daniel Griffith from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures. When Arrow Video approached me about producing NEW bonus materials for their upcoming edition, I immediately decided to create a feature documentary about the evolution of "The Thing", from the original novella to the Hawks/Nyby film to the Carpenter version. I felt that a complete narrative would be more entertaining and engaging than a series of in-depth featurette's.

Bumstead

#86 Post by Bumstead » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:36 pm

BallyhooMotionPics wrote:
rapta wrote:As for the disc itself, the new docs sound great and the booklet will be worthwhile - I even like the artwork for the digipack version. This is my favourite Carpenter so I have no hesitation in getting this straight away. I have a feeling they will add more to the extras but haven't finalised them yet - perhaps they're looking to license some from Shout Factory, or maybe they're still licensing or producing some others. After all, supposedly Carpenter and Cundey are involved in the restoration so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't even try to interview them directly.
I'm Daniel Griffith from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures. When Arrow Video approached me about producing NEW bonus materials for their upcoming edition, I immediately decided to create a feature documentary about the evolution of "The Thing", from the original novella to the Hawks/Nyby film to the Carpenter version. I felt that a complete narrative would be more entertaining and engaging than a series of in-depth featurette's.
Great to hear and thanks for that note, Daniel. Look forward to experiencing the new supplements.

Big Ben

#87 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:47 pm

BallyhooMotionPics wrote: I'm Daniel Griffith from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures. When Arrow Video approached me about producing NEW bonus materials for their upcoming edition, I immediately decided to create a feature documentary about the evolution of "The Thing", from the original novella to the Hawks/Nyby film to the Carpenter version. I felt that a complete narrative would be more entertaining and engaging than a series of in-depth featurette's.
Both this feature and the book were deciding factors in my purchase. I'm glad to see the history of the story being talked about more.

The original novella is great by the way. It's full of all that technical mumbo jumbo that was common place back then. Furthermore a short story from the perspective of The Thing itself was published a few years ago and was even nominated for a few writing awards. Read that here.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#88 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:59 am

And it's gone from Amazon again.

rapta

#89 Post by rapta » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:30 pm

BallyhooMotionPics wrote:
Hi Daniel, great stuff! Glad to hear you went above and beyond for this one. Will your doc include new interviews with Carpenter, Cundey et al. or will it be mostly archival? Can't wait to see the fruits of your labour; well, yours and Arrow's!

Easily the most anticipated home video upgrade of at least this year, if not ever (for me personally).
swo17 wrote:And it's gone from Amazon again.
It'll probably be in and out of stock from now on then. I still have a copy of both pre-ordered there and plan on cancelling them unless a friend wants one (or I decide I want the steelbook as well for some reason). I'm sure I'm not alone.

Costa

#90 Post by Costa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:27 am

I have a question:
I've never pre-ordered anything from amazon, and now it was my first time with this steelbook.
Do they ship on release day or earlier?

Finch

#91 Post by Finch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:01 am

It can be hit and miss, and depend on what shipping speed you've selected. Most of the time, if you picked One Day Delivery, they ship the order a day before street date.

MichaelB

#92 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#93 Post by Caligula » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:52 am

Just received my despatch email for the LE from Amazon

Morbii

#94 Post by Morbii » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:31 am

Strangely, I just got an email from co.uk saying that The Thing was available again. 30m after the email I checked out of curiosity (already gave mine otw) and it was marked unavailable again. I wonder if someone got lucky?

Costa

#95 Post by Costa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 am

Just received this from Zavvi!
Wow!
It looks exquisite!!

And again, the encoding superb, even with all these extras in one disc!

midnitedave

#96 Post by midnitedave » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 am

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#97 Post by Drucker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 am

The ping pong ball is finally back.

M Sanderson

#98 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Impressive. I’m seeing colours I’ve not seen in this film before. This looks very positive.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#99 Post by tenia » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm always amazed by the craft displayed with the movie. This is a rare movie I feel has unlimited rewatching possibilities. It really is tremendous and so efficiently done. Sure, I probably could do with a bit less "gore-ish" effects, but it's just a very minor complaint.

The 4K resto is excellent. There still are shots that are slightly out of focus, and I probably can't talk about the color timing because I just don't know the movie well enough for that, but it really feels sharp and natural-looking.

McCrutchy

#100 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Review of the year incoming from High Def Digest:
How can this be?! The Arrow disc has a 4k scan of the original negative! It has to look better [than the Scream Factory Blu-ray], doesn’t it?

Some possible explanations: The 4k scanner used for this master may have been inferior to the 2k scanner used for Scream Factory’s master. Arrow may have applied Digital Noise Reduction to the transfer after scanning. Softening may have occurred during the downconversion from 4k to 1080p. Perhaps the video was overcompressed in order to squeeze several hours of high-def bonus features onto the same disc. Any or all of these could be responsible.

Whatever the cause, Arrow Video’s Limited Edition of ‘The Thing’ has failed to live up to its promise and hype.

Uh-oh, was Universal sold a lemon? Did they buy their Arriscan from the Amazon Marketplace? Damn it, Universal, you do not buy from third-party sellers!

As for the rest of it, it's funny how the reviewer mentions that "[t]he main selling points of the disc are now its exclusive bonus features", but then says nothing about the extras other than that "Arrow has several different documentaries and featurettes", which is surely what someone who watched all of those extras would say. After all, one of the finer points of Blu-ray reviewing is keeping the extras a fun secret.
Last edited by McCrutchy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.