Harmony Korine

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Harmony Korine

#126 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Gregory

#127 Post by Gregory » Mon May 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Just looking at an image of that on the internet has me instinctively reaching for the hand sanitizer.

cantinflas

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#128 Post by cantinflas » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:09 am

Harmony Korine's new film:
Did he [Pacino] give you any tips on the Southern Gothic gangster project you’re working on?
Well actually, it’s all done! The script is written. I’m putting the cast together right now, it’s going to be my most ambitious film, and I’m really just going to go for it. It’s some next level shit. It’s a revenge movie, a sprawling, very intense… I don’t want to give away too much, but we’re probably going to start shooting in Miami after the New Year. I’m goin’ for it.

Any particular reason why Miami?
Yeah, just the way the sky looks.

And you’ve got Robert Pattinson locked down?
It’ll have a substantial cast.
Also:
Calum Marsh wrote:Exciting news: Harmony Korine is shooting a new movie in January -- a "next-level revenge thriller" shot by Benoît Debie on 35mm.

cantinflas

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#129 Post by cantinflas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:16 pm

nolanoe

#130 Post by nolanoe » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Miami?
Yes, please!

cantinflas

#131 Post by cantinflas » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:32 am

cantinflas

#132 Post by cantinflas » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Numero Trois

#133 Post by Numero Trois » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Antarctica

#134 Post by Antarctica » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:09 am

Talking Art, Cock Molds, and Revolvers with Harmony Korine
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandcult ... ony-korine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Your next movie is The Trap. Have you started filming?

Harmony Korine: No. I’m still figuring it out. I was supposed to shoot it last year. We were two weeks out. I got as close to shooting as you could be, and then I had issues with one of the actors. We had to pause the film, and then the movie got pushed back on the dates. I don’t really want to go into specifics, but it was more of a personality thing with one of the actors.

So, we put a halt to the film and recast the movie. We’re supposed to wait until this May to shoot it. I just have this thing where I lose interest in things after a while. Even though that movie was ready to go, I have this other idea for a film. An idea kept cracking me up and cracking me up. I spent the last couple of months writing this thing, and I’m pretty much almost done with this script. I feel like I’m maybe going to do this new one first."

Oedipax

#135 Post by Oedipax » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Any idea who he's referring to there? Franco? Pacino?

criterion10

#136 Post by criterion10 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:59 pm

I was thinking Idris Elba who's no longer listed on the film's IMDb page.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#137 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:18 pm

This from the guy who obsessed over making something where he gets people on the street to beat him up for years. Yeah, gotta move onto the next project post haste.

Mr Sausage

Harmony Korine

#138 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:42 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:This from the guy who obsessed over making something where he gets people on the street to beat him up for years. Yeah, gotta move onto the next project post haste.
Might be that the piece-meal, on-the-fly nature of Fightharm would've allowed Korine to pursue other projects as well and to become periodically reenthused about Fightharm.

I see no reason not to take him at his word.

Zot!

#139 Post by Zot! » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Well he lost interest in fightharm as well, so there you go. Dude was also in a drug haze for most of his career so not sure if his new interests coincide with the old.

Mr Sausage

#140 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:57 pm

I think his reasoning was that he was getting too injured for the small amount of footage actually being captured. Fights don't often last very long.

Fair point about the drugs, although even without them his attention span could've changed with age.

AskewWaters

#141 Post by AskewWaters » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:44 am

Mr Sausage wrote:I think his reasoning was that he was getting too injured for the small amount of footage actually being captured. Fights don't often last very long.
That, and him getting arrested multiple times while filming. Harmony also mentioned on Maron's podcast that he feels that the idea of the film was more interesting than the actual footage itself.

Antarctica

#142 Post by Antarctica » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:55 pm

"Harmony Korine Is Adapting Alissa Nutting’s Scandalous Book ‘Tampa’" http://collider.com/harmony-korine-tampa-movie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cantinflas

#143 Post by cantinflas » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:31 am

cantinflas

#144 Post by cantinflas » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:55 am

A major retrospective of Korine's work is happening at the Pompidou in October.

Fight Harm, the holy grail for fans, has been confirmed to screen. Other rare pieces include Easter (the segment of his unfinished Jokes anthology film that Gus Van Sant directed), the triptych installation The Diary of Anne Frank Part II and Caput (the short film he made for Franco's Rebel exhibition).

A Bundle a Minute, his first short film from 1991, is also screening as well as something new from 2017 titled "Where do you stand now, Harmony Korine?"

Full programme details here

cantinflas

#145 Post by cantinflas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 am

cantinflas wrote:Fight Harm, the holy grail for fans, has been confirmed to screen.
This didn't happen. He's got all the fight footage locked in a safe, as mentioned in his episode on Epicly Later'd.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#146 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 am

Hm, almost like he exaggerated the degree to which he shot it and it doesn’t exist or something

Zot!

#147 Post by Zot! » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:33 am

I think it was hinted that the footage is not terribly compelling, and the fights are over in a few seconds. I like Harmony, but I think he's saying that the end product wouldnt live up to peoples lofty expectations, and best left to the imagination. Probably pretty quaint in the post Borat/Jackass reality era.

Oedipax

#148 Post by Oedipax » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:34 pm

I caught the later part (via live stream) of Korine doing a Q&A at the Pompidou in Paris during his recent career retrospective there, and the story told then was that the footage had all burned in his various house fires during his heavy drug period post-Julien Donkey Boy. However, given the film's inclusion in the original catalog for the retrospective, I suspect it does exist in some format somewhere and was perhaps pulled at the last minute for reasons cited above (wouldn't live up to what people imagine).

David Blaine was in the audience for the talk and came up on stage to recount what it was like filming the fights. Korine was then living in a nice building in New York, and Blaine recalled after walking out the door of the building, he immediately started verbally antagonizing people who were passing by. He described a few different fights that resulted as well as Harmony getting arrested at one point, being offered a chance to apologize after, and instead doubling down on his insults and being taken away. (Blaine also performed some magic along with his young daughter, which was quite charming.) You can watch the full thing here.

On a recent episode of the Plan large podcast, Agnès B. described Korine's time in Paris ("hiding out") during that same drug-heavy period, where he was attempting to get clean. She let him stay in her apartments and use her studio space if he wanted, and she mentioned that he spent time occasionally with Leos Carax, Claire Denis, and herself, and that she felt his time away there was largely responsible for saving his life. You can listen to that here (though you'll either need to understand French or listen closely for Korine's answers in English on his sections of the show).

cantinflas

#149 Post by cantinflas » Fri May 31, 2019 1:36 am