Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Morbii

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1576 Post by Morbii » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:05 pm

I would love to see NotLD on Criterion.

I guess we find out in just under a month, eh?

Yaanu

#1577 Post by Yaanu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 pm

The Wexner Center is showcasing a series of films from the New Hollywood Era, including a screening of Brian de Palma's Sisters, with selected frame captures "courtesy of Janus Films".

Just thought I'd bring it up.

Cinephrenic

#1578 Post by Cinephrenic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:33 am

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the other day, TCM aired Chungking Express with Janus logo preceding it. I don't know if this means that they got the rights again? Anyone?

Werewolf by Night

#1579 Post by Werewolf by Night » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:52 am

That's what seems to be indicated from this discussion several pages back.

Minkin

#1580 Post by Minkin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Yeah, we found out when it showed up on Filmstruck with Criterion branding and with a Janus logo (it never had a Janus logo on the old release).

They also picked up some other WKW films - and have Happy Together on Filmstruck. Fallen Angels and Ashes of Time are extremely likely as well at this point. I'd probably expect them to drip back/out over time.

FrauBlucher

#1581 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Since the last word has been spoken on the Newsletter thread, I'm continuing a possible Hughes boxset convo here. I just looked at his filmography including his writer credits and it would be a doozy of 80's teen fare. Question is rights. His first three directorial films are all with Universal than the next couple are Paramount. Not sure what other studios would be involved. I guess Criterion could pull it off. But a boxset makes sense to me.

kcota17

#1582 Post by kcota17 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:26 pm

I wonder then if they would be doing their own version of Universal's Hughes set (which also includes Weird Science), or if they'll also be including the Paramount titles such as Ferris Bueller, Pretty in Pink and Planes, Trains and Automobiles (which has a terrible release).

movielocke

#1583 Post by movielocke » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:58 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Since the last word has been spoken on the Newsletter thread, I'm continuing a possible Hughes boxset convo here. I just looked at his filmography including his writer credits and it would be a doozy of 80's teen fare. Question is rights. His first three directorial films are all with Universal than the next couple are Paramount. Not sure what other studios would be involved. I guess Criterion could pull it off. But a boxset makes sense to me.
i have a fairly intense love for "the great outdoors" scripted by Hughes, starring john candy as my dad. With beloved interstitials by subtitled raccoons... possibly (along with the original Star Wars films) why I've never been averse to subtitles.

comicfan1969

#1584 Post by comicfan1969 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:51 pm

If we could get a mashup of the Too Cool For School and Yearbook Collection box sets, Criterion can take all of my money.

Apperson

#1585 Post by Apperson » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:43 am

So I'm not sure were exactly to put this so I'll just put it here for now; a lot of pretty new titles (They Live by Night, Woman of the Year, Blow-Up) have price cuts below $20 on Amazon.

Is this a new trend? I can't recall this happening as they usually stuck around the mid-to-high 20's for a few months.

Morbii

#1586 Post by Morbii » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Apperson wrote:So I'm not sure were exactly to put this so I'll just put it here for now; a lot of pretty new titles (They Live by Night, Woman of the Year, Blow-Up) have price cuts below $20 on Amazon.

Is this a new trend? I can't recall this happening as they usually stuck around the mid-to-high 20's for a few months.
Long-running discussion in this thread. Some of us got a pre-order of Othello for under $15, while others got WCP for a mere $40!

dwk

#1587 Post by dwk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:30 am

Victor Sjöström's Terje Vigen (A Man There Was) was on TCM on Sunday night and it opened with the Criterion Collection and Janus Films logos.

theflirtydozen

#1588 Post by theflirtydozen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:59 am

My Czech isn't very good but I believe according to this post from the Czech National Film Archive's facebook:
Amerika bude promítat českou filmovou klasiku!
Národní filmový archiv uzavřel významnou smlouvu s distribuční společností Janus Films, díky níž se seznámí s českou filmovou klasikou diváci v celé Severní Americe.
Spalovač mrtvol, Marketa Lazarová, Všichni dobří rodáci, Tři oříšky pro Popelku, Ikarie XB1 – i tyto tituly jsou mezi více než třiceti klasickými českými filmy, které uvidí diváci v kinech i na DVD v USA a Kanadě. Umožní to nová smlouva, kterou uzavřel ředitel Národního filmového archivu Michal Bregant s distribuční společností Janus Films.
Janus Films stojí i za The Criterion Collection, respektovaným vydavatelem DVD a Blu-ray disků. V této prestižní edici se budou postupně objevovat všechny filmy, na které NFA nyní podepsal smlouvu, a v jednání jsou už další tituly. Criterion je trvale garantem vysoké kvality a jeho disky jsou oblíbené po celém světě.
Janus is now the official North American partner for the NFA. From the titles they mention (in addition to the already in-print Marketa Lazarová) we could expect The Cremator, All My Good Countrymen, Three Wishes for Cinderella, and Ikarie XB1, among others. Of those mentioned, The Cremator is the only one whose restoration has not completed yet and it seems that we could expect most of the ongoing restorations from this list as they wrap up. Interesting that they don't mention The Firemen's Ball, Closely Watched Trains, or The Shop on Main Street then, maybe because these are non-Criterion titles in the UK? I think the way the announcement is put, this bodes well for mainline releases, especially since these are being painstakingly restored.

FrauBlucher

#1589 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:28 am

It would be great if Janus struck the same deal with the Hungarian Film Commission.

knives

#1590 Post by knives » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:38 am

Is there some Slovakian equivalent? That would be nice as well.

Malickite

#1591 Post by Malickite » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:59 pm

Bulgaria is what I'm wishing for, as some Binka Zhelyazkova films in the collection would be most ideal for me. Especially her films We Were Young and The Tied Up Balloon. Though an Eclipse set of her Feature films would be good as well. Criterion likes to say that they're looking to inject more diversity into the collection, well, They haven't released any Bulgarian movies yet, and she was the first woman director of the country.

knives

#1592 Post by knives » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Ow, Lithuania would be nice as well. Šarūnas Bartas would be a nice add to the collection. Though if we are going wacky with our dreams I'd love to see a Nollywood film.

Ribs

#1593 Post by Ribs » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:48 pm

Surely Criterion already had some kind of deal for some of these titles? It may have expired as it's probably been several years but the selection of Czech titles on Hulu/Filmstruck includes some of those titles already. Certainly means I'll be a little more discerning as to future things I'll be getting imported from Second Run, though (it's clear at this point they're transitioning away from the Eclipse model, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of compromise format they end up taking for these (as I still don't have enough faith in Criterion to seriously commit to several Czech BDs each year)

Big Ben

#1594 Post by Big Ben » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 pm

More underseen films is a cause for celebration.

Ikarie XB1 sounds right up my alley. More films taken from the works of Stanislaw Lem sound encouraging! Although to my knowledge he was not pleased with Tarkovsky's Solaris. God knows what he thought of Soderbergh's version.

Minkin

#1595 Post by Minkin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:40 pm

I like how we get great news about 30+ films from an archive confirmed, and we complain that every other country's archive isn't part of a publicly announced deal!

We've known Criterion has had a deal for more Czech films from this post, but this looks like an expanded contract.

I wouldn't worry about Closely Watched Trains, etc - because it says the deal is for at least 30 films (with more planned), so surely all of their existent Czech holdings are part of the deal (which only mentions North America). In addition, we already know they have the following:

Courage for Every Day
The Cry
Diamonds of the Night
The Ear
Intimate Lighting (played on TCM with Janus logo)
Something Different
Transport from Paradise

Interestingly, the post I linked to indicated that they planned to release these in future Eclipse sets. Thankfully Valerie escaped that purgatory and I think they decided to re-think this release schedule (probably after we all complained about Daisies being relegated to Eclipse). There's also been the rumor that Daisies would be upgraded to blu (it looks like its still being restored? So perhaps once thats done).
=====================================
dwk wrote:Victor Sjöström's Terje Vigen (A Man There Was) was on TCM on Sunday night and it opened with the Criterion Collection and Janus Films logos.
They also added Sjostrom's Outlaw and His Wife to Filmstruck. So I assume they've picked up the other former Kino title: Ingeborg Holm.

Did Kino have anything else licensed from Svensk Films?

FrauBlucher

#1596 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Minkin wrote:I like how we get great news about 30+ films from an archive confirmed, and we complain that every other country's archive isn't part of a publicly announced deal!
I don't see it as complaining. I see it as folks hoping this opens the door to some of the other Eastern European countries' films. Nothing wrong with that. As for me, I selfishly said Hungary because I would love to see Bela Tarr get his works' right to be controlled by Janus.

jwd5275

#1597 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Minkin wrote:Did Kino have anything else licensed from Svensk Films?
Lindberg's June Night and Stiller's Gosta Berling Saga and Sir Arne's Treasure all immediately jump to mind.

Noiradelic

#1598 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:39 am

Minkin wrote:In addition, we already know they have the following:
The Cremator as well.
Minkin wrote:Interestingly, the post I linked to indicated that they planned to release these in future Eclipse sets. Thankfully Valerie escaped that purgatory and I think they decided to re-think this release schedule (probably after we all complained about Daisies being relegated to Eclipse). There's also been the rumor that Daisies would be upgraded to blu (it looks like its still being restored?)
As you know, they have a tradition of anchoring Eclipse sets with one better-known title (Putney Swope for another example). I don't know if they've rethought this specific approach so much as just let the Eclipse line languish. Was there an actual rumor of Daises getting upgraded, or was it pure speculation that at some point they'd start upgrading some of those "anchor" titles to Blu? The bigger question is: what is the future of Eclipse? Will there be/is there a physical model to replace it -- like the Etaix set or the $29.95 SRP Blu line -- or will most of those not-yet released Czech titles just be relegated to beefing up Filmstruck? If they were to release another Eclipse set, I could see a second Czech New Wave set being it.

SSF

#1599 Post by SSF » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:13 am

Hoping for some Svankmejer in this agreement.

Ribs

#1600 Post by Ribs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 am

I think there's a path forward that involves Eclipse moving to BDs, and it's be similar to the Arrow Nikkatsu sets - basically no extras, three films to a BD, budgeted a little higher than most other single discs (or 5 films on 2 BDs for $90 MSRP or something). But either way I doubt Eclipse has ever been a huge money-maker so any move could really cut into the margin enough to make the entire thing unsustainable.