It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:26 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot in Murder on the Orient Express

Post subject: Re: The Films of 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:53 pm 

Wow, that's some really off Broadway makeup.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:15 pm 

I recall the dvd making-of interviews for Lumet's version of "Orient Express" and apparently Dame Christie's only complaint of Albert Finney's performance was that his mustache was inadequate. I hate to think what she would say if she saw this wooly face-hugger. Not so much M. Poirot as Vice-Admiral Mutton.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:18 pm 
Dot Com Dom

britcom68 wrote:
I recall the dvd making-of interviews for Lumet's version of "Orient Express" and apparently Dame Christie's only complaint of Albert Finney's performance was that his mustache was inadequate. I hate to think what she would say if she saw this wooly face-hugger.

"Too adequate"

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:47 pm 

Finally, my own facial hair style is coming back into style!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:36 am 

Being shot in 65mm and apparently due to have 70mm prints. So that will be the Odeon Leicester Square in London, then.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:15 am 

Apparently Kenneth Branagh was unavailable, so they had Ewan McGregor stand in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:07 am 

Trailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:19 am 

I will give Branagh that the mustache seems to fit perfectly with the rest of his performance, which is a "My children need wine!"-level interpretation of a Frenchman in this trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 am 

The Narrator Returns wrote:
I will give Branagh that the mustache seems to fit perfectly with the rest of his performance, which is a "My children need wine!"-level interpretation of a Frenchman in this trailer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:39 am 

This is one of the worst scored trailers in recent memory. Who on earth thought this was fitting music for a Hercule Poirot trailer?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:37 am 

Quote:
Finch wrote:
This is one of the worst scored trailers in recent memory. Who on earth thought this was fitting music for a Hercule Poirot trailer?!

Who on earth thought Kenneth Branagh wearing a ridiculous fake moustache and using an embarrassingly bad French accent was a good idea. Excruciating.

I imagine some producer sees this as the start of a Poirot big-screen franchise.

Perhaps Charlie Hunnan Can take over from Branagh in the sequels.

Even Branaghs' legendary ego can't justify this dogs breakfast!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:07 am 

britcom68 wrote:
I recall the dvd making-of interviews for Lumet's version of "Orient Express" and apparently Dame Christie's only complaint of Albert Finney's performance was that his mustache was inadequate.

Dames (like knights) are known by their first names - so it's Dame Agatha or Dame Agatha Christie, but never Dame Christie. (The male equivalent would be "Sir Olivier".)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:20 am 

The trailer treats the film as if it were a sequel to Clue which, for all I know, may be how the film plays as well. One of the things I admired about Lumet's 1974 version is that, while incorporating comic moments, the film did not resort to camp, even though the material could be seen as dated. I'm not certain this new version will do the same. I am pretty certain that Branagh as "Poirot" will have a hard time measuring up to Albert Finney's splendid portrayal.

Also...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm not keen on how the new film's tagline is an outright spoiler!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:25 am 

Roger Ryan wrote:
Also...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm not keen on how the new film's tagline is an outright spoiler!

That's generally been the tagline to such things. It's totally innocuous unless you know already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:43 am 

Roger Ryan wrote:
I am pretty certain that Branagh as "Poirot" will have a hard time measuring up to Albert Finney's splendid portrayal.

I will always be partial to Albert Finney accusing Wendy Hiller of "unbelievable evasion"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:22 pm 

One promising moment from the trailer is the apparent moment when Mrs. Hubbard sees Rachett in a corridor and they share a look between each other. For me this was always a frustration with previous iterations of the novel since:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
As the mastermind of the Armstrong kidnapping, it is incredibly difficult to believe that Rachett would not have recognized the grandmother of the child he ordered to be kidnapped and murdered. Or for that matter, recognizing any of the other dozen people in the coach out for vengeance against him.

This was something overlooked in Lumet's version, unless one counts Pierre Michel's close reaction on the Istanbul platform upon greeting Rachet et al.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:48 pm 

I've always thought it would be fun to see a reversal of this story, where

[Reveal] Spoiler:
someone realizes that every person they've ever significantly wronged is on a train with them, and it becomes a Kafkaesque thriller.

Also, my roommate and I both breathed a huge sigh of relief when we realized Depp wasn't Poirot.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Magic Hate Ball wrote:
Also, my roommate and I both breathed a huge sigh of relief when we realized Depp wasn't Poirot.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
It looked like he's playing the victim, can't recall the character name, but the Widmark role

I also like your idea.

Interestingly my daughter saw the trailer and wants to see it, so maybe 8 year olds were the target.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Seems squarely targeted at that young, BBC-loving contingent of viewers who love anything PBS reairs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 am 

More Thematically Inappropriate Trailer Music

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:52 am 

Poor Branagh. I thought his work in the UK remake of Wallander was going to be the start of a career renaissance.

Seems like he's stuck directing the films that even Sam Mendes wouldn't bother with. I just looked on IMDB and totally forgot he played the Russian baddie in the last Jack Ryan movie.....then I saw he directed it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I actually saw that one. I remember nothing about it other than that the main character attempts one of those hoary "Distract the villain with a Mata Hari date" schemes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:05 pm 

It's so strange because he's done three "one for them"s in a row after Thor, Jack Ryan, and Cinderella, so he's built himself up a blank check to do what he wants for this next project - and this is what he wants to do? And, more than that, the studio's seemingly fallen over itself to spare absolutely no expense in gathering together a cast consisting of every single person to ever be nominated for an Oscar?

Last edited by Ribs on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm 
Dot Com Dom

And it looks like his next film is another franchise, the Harry Potter ripoff Artemis Fowl