Carl Th. Dreyer Collection

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

The Doogster

Re: Carl Th. Dreyer Collection

#101 Post by The Doogster » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:49 am

MichaelB wrote:I believe Artificial Eye is planning just that for Q4...
Wow, thanks. I just lost control of my bodily functions. I don't know how many of these box sets I can cope with!

FrauBlucher

#102 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 am

The Doogster wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I believe Artificial Eye is planning just that for Q4...
Wow, thanks. I just lost control of my bodily functions. I don't know how many of these box sets I can cope with!
The press release never mentioned a box set. It sounds like they will be individual releases.

MichaelB

#103 Post by MichaelB » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:35 am

Bet you anything they do a box. Based not only on precedent but also plain common sense.

Dr Amicus

#104 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:55 am

Going off topic I know, but I'm sure I read somewhere that there would be a box later in the year - along with a box (or two) to cover the Chaplin features they're doing.

jsteffe

#105 Post by jsteffe » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm working my way through The Dreyer Collection, and so far I'm delighted how the films look. It's especially nice to see GERTRUD with such nice grayscale and in the 1.66 aspect ratio. While I thought the Criterion DVD was fine, I did feel that it was a little tight on top at 1.78. I'm glad that I pre-ordered the set!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#106 Post by tenia » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:35 am

I watched Day of Wrath yesterday afternoon, and while the picture is extremely clean and free of specks etc (except one vertical scratch in a shot), and also very detailed, the amount of instability of both the frame and the luminosity seemed to me limitating. It's been a long time since I haven't seen such instabilities, and coherently enough, the last time I remember this was on La passion de Jeanne d'Arc. I think it could be down to the restoration being 4 years old already, and I believe a more recent restoration would have been able to take care of this and stabilize it better.

This being said, it's a clear upgrade and a nice one, but the pulsating and instable picture is quite tiring to my eyes.

MichaelB

#107 Post by MichaelB » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 am

I didn't have a problem with it at all. I suspect I may be more used to seeing these films in 35mm (or 16mm).

neilist

#108 Post by neilist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:04 am

Can anyone confirm if anything included in the four Dreyer BFI DVDs (Master of the House, Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud) didn't get included in the Blu-ray box set? It looks as if all of the on-disc extras are included, so I'm mainly concerned about the booklet content. Would there be any reason at all to hang on to the DVDs once you get the Blu-ray box set?

Bumstead

#109 Post by Bumstead » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:20 am

Well, well, looks like the Dreyer Collection is OOP and on the very day I decided to pull the trigger! One or two used copies remain on Amazon UK (with scalpers charging upwards of £90). Zero units at Zavvi, eBay, etc. If someone from BFI or an informed forum member is reading this, I'd love to know if more stock will be released. That or I could just drink my tears.

fdm

#110 Post by fdm » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:22 pm

I noticed it was pretty scarce nearly a month ago, so probably has been OOP for a little while now.

BFI did still have it listed at that time though, now that I think about it.

denti alligator

#111 Post by denti alligator » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Aren't we getting a Criterion Blu upgrade one of these days?

hearthesilence

#112 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:11 am

Piecemeal maybe. Master of the House was already issued as a standalone Criterion BD.

Zot!

#113 Post by Zot! » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:15 am

The criterion never included master of the house, though. So maybe crit uk is intending to sell that set in the uk, once upgraded? Would otherwise be a terrible shame. Also, for those that care, the BFI Master of the House has the Danish intertitles.

Bumstead

#114 Post by Bumstead » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 am

In addition to the Danish intertitles, BFI is 1080p while Criterion is 1080i. Beaver.

Yes, Criterion will eventually upgrade to Blu's, but there's the long wait and losing out on sheer dollar savings from that fully-stacked BFI boxset...(but I'm just making myself feel worse, now that it's OOP!)

rrenault

#115 Post by rrenault » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:15 am

There must be rights issues with Dreyer's output in general, since both the BFI set and the Eureka release of The Passion of Joan of Arc are out of print. Why else would it be taking Criterion forever to upgrade core pantheon titles like Passion and Ordet? For what it's worth, here the in-print Criterion titles in the TSPDT top 100 that have yet to be upgraded: Andrei Rublev, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Viridiana, Ordet, Au Hasard Balthazar, La Strada, and Gertrud.

theflirtydozen

#116 Post by theflirtydozen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:16 am

rrenault wrote:There must be rights issues with Dreyer's output in general, since both the BFI set and the Eureka release of The Passion of Joan of Arc are out of print.
Actually the Masters of Cinema release is getting a reissue, according to Eureka Entertainment's facebook page. Also, the BFI set was limited edition so it would be expected to go out of print at some point regardless of rights issues.

fdm

#117 Post by fdm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm

And I think the answer I just received when I asked about this set is it is out of stock but not out of print... so you may get your shot yet.

Bumstead

#118 Post by Bumstead » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 pm

fdm wrote:And I think the answer I just received when I asked about this set is it is out of stock but not out of print... so you may get your shot yet.
Thanks, l'll keep my eyes peeled!

TMDaines

#119 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:33 am

I'll be amazed if this is gone forever.