52-53 Yojimbo and Sanjuro

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
fdm

Re: 52-53 Yojimbo and Sanjuro

#151 Post by fdm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Orlac wrote:
Ogre Kovacs wrote:I was doing a re-watch of the 2006 DVD re-issue from Criterion and noticed something strange that I did not notice before. Right at the beginning of Chapter 8 at 32:44 into the film, there is a gentleman sweeping in front of a square backdrop. The edge of him appears squared out like the background. I took some fast screen shots to show the issue. This does not seem like an error with my specific disc but rather something with the transfer. However, I have not read any other mentions of this online.

Anyone else seen this or can verify if it is like this on the Blu-ray? Could it be my equipment is set to some enhancement I am unaware of? I did try it on 3 different set-ups with the same results. Thanks for any input. Just curious what this is more than anything.

EDIT: Note that these are very fast screen captures not intended to be representative of the quality of the transfer, but rather just demonstrate the issue observed.

That goof is also on the BFI BD - it looks quite different to the Criterion, with incorrect black levels, but much better contrast.
I recall something like this going on in one of the Zatoichi films, backdrop was a window of some sort, somewhat resembling horizontal blinds. Once or twice elsewhere also.

cj-535

#152 Post by cj-535 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:18 am

Orlac wrote:
Ogre Kovacs wrote:I was doing a re-watch of the 2006 DVD re-issue from Criterion and noticed something strange that I did not notice before. Right at the beginning of Chapter 8 at 32:44 into the film, there is a gentleman sweeping in front of a square backdrop. The edge of him appears squared out like the background. I took some fast screen shots to show the issue. This does not seem like an error with my specific disc but rather something with the transfer. However, I have not read any other mentions of this online.

Anyone else seen this or can verify if it is like this on the Blu-ray? Could it be my equipment is set to some enhancement I am unaware of? I did try it on 3 different set-ups with the same results. Thanks for any input. Just curious what this is more than anything.

EDIT: Note that these are very fast screen captures not intended to be representative of the quality of the transfer, but rather just demonstrate the issue observed.

That goof is also on the BFI BD - it looks quite different to the Criterion, with incorrect black levels, but much better contrast.
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I thought I'd clear it up.
It's not any sort of goof or issue with the transfer, just how it was shot.
Those windows are actually very narrow, just slits really. They appear wider during the pan as the shutter is open for a finite amount of time during each frame, and the camera is moving, so the image of the slit moves too, exposing a greater area of film (or leaving a trail if you like). Therefore, if the man sweeping is blocking the slit while the shutter is open, then no trail will be left, leaving a whole 'rectangle' appearing dark, compared to the surrounding windows. Hope that makes any sort of sense.

Adam X

#153 Post by Adam X » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 am

Then how would you explain the missing part of his head? Going by this cap, it looks very much like an encoding error and not an optical anomaly, where the software has failed to recognise where the actor stops and the background begins; and no one went back to fix it.

Orlac

#154 Post by Orlac » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:04 pm

If anyone has the old non-anamorphic BFI disc, that should prove interesting.

Orlac

#155 Post by Orlac » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:59 am

And UPDATE: the non-anamorphic BFI DVD has the same thing. So it looks like a strange error in the original filmaking, as it's on three completely different transfers.