The Devils

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

pzadvance

Re: The Devils

#251 Post by pzadvance » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:11 pm

As best I can figure out, we seem to have seen the British cut at Beyond Fest last night, on a really lovely 35mm print. If someone can point me to a definitive moment that only occurs in the British cut I could say with more certainty, but it definitely wasn't wanting for pubic hair and
SpoilerShow
there were a good few (disturbing) close-ups of Reed's crispy, well-done face at the end, to go off of criterion10's notes above.
What seemed like coy evasiveness on the programmers' part in the lead-up to the screening actually struck me as delicately-worded legal maneuvering in person, as the programmers were seemingly unable to say precisely which cut was screening even immediately prior to rolling the film (they kept alluding to what they were "allowed" to say about this version). I'd be very curious to know the circumstances that made such a screening possible, especially if, as has been suggested, this was the cut that has never/rarely been screened in the US (they did hold to the notion that this was the third US screening of the print, ever, and even cited the locations where it had previously been shown, but I can't recall them).

After the film, they screened the clip from "Hell on Earth" that included the "Rape of Christ" scene--insisting that "nobody tell Warner Bros." we were watching it. Not ideal quality, of course, but still great that they thought to show it, and on the big screen, no less.

All told, it was a pretty incredible experience, regardless of which cut was shown. A powerful, troubling, exciting film. I'd love to see this get a definitive Blu-ray release.

captveg

#252 Post by captveg » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:17 pm

I was also there last night, and being in the same boat of seeing it for the first time, my best guess is that it was the British cut of the film, too.

criterion10

#253 Post by criterion10 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:29 pm

pzadvance wrote:If someone can point me to a definitive moment that only occurs in the British cut I could say with more certainty, but it definitely wasn't wanting for pubic hair and
SpoilerShow
there were a good few (disturbing) close-ups of Reed's crispy, well-done face at the end, to go off of criterion10's notes above.
Slightly NSFWShow
There are *some* shots of Reed's charred face in the U.S. cut, albeit a significantly less amount (all of his facial reactions during the final moments of his speech are merely replaced with shots of the burning flames). One immediate, and hopefully noteworthy, addition in the UK cut is this blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of Oliver Reed's bashed legs during the extended torture sequence:

pzadvance

#254 Post by pzadvance » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:33 pm

SpoilerShow
Hopefully captveg can corroborate, but I recall seeing both that frame and close-ups of Reed throughout his speech, showing him get progressively more charred. Only once he's finished does the camera back off somewhat, presumably when it's no longer Reed in the flames.

criterion10

#255 Post by criterion10 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:52 pm

pzadvance wrote:
SpoilerShow
Hopefully captveg can corroborate, but I recall seeing both that frame and close-ups of Reed throughout his speech, showing him get progressively more charred. Only once he's finished does the camera back off somewhat, presumably when it's no longer Reed in the flames.
NSFWShow
That's how the scene should progress. The final shots that we *do* see of Reed in the UK cut literally show his face as being charred black, even worse than this image (which does remain in the US cut):

captveg

#256 Post by captveg » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:18 pm

That brief shot of the
SpoilerShow
bashed legs
was certainly there.

pzadvance

#257 Post by pzadvance » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:47 pm

And we definitely saw
SpoilerShow
Reed's face get completely charred black, beyond what that screencap shows.

criterion10

#258 Post by criterion10 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Seems like it was certainly the UK Cut. Very impressive that this was able to have been shown, and hopefully it's a sign of good things to come! (although past experiences tell me that I shouldn't get too optimistic yet)

Between all the strange wording on Beyond Fest's part (and even telling me that they were showing the US Cut), I wonder if this was a print acquired through unconventional means and screened under Warner Bros.' radar.

Anyway, I certainly hope you two enjoyed the film; it's easily in my Top Ten of All-Time. (Be sure to check out some other Russell films!)

Newsnayr

#259 Post by Newsnayr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:46 am

Just watched The Devils UK Cut on 35mm, and it was nothing short of astonishing, a masterpiece.

criterion10

#260 Post by criterion10 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Alamo Drafthouse showing The Devils in a 35mm print from Warner Bros.

Runtime is listed as 111 minutes (the UK Cut), though who knows if that's accurate.

Big Ben

#261 Post by Big Ben » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:51 pm

Is it irrational to view this as a sign that Warner Brothers is relaxing about the film? I recall Mark Kermode asking rather bluntly for the film to be released (as he has for a while) over a year ago in a blog post. I doubt it had any effect.

Does the film still spook Warner Brothers that much?

captveg

#262 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Our best chance is that Criterion pried it away, but I'm not holding my breath.

Professor Wagstaff

#263 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:42 pm

I think Alamo Drafthouse owns a print they regularly show in their theatres. I've seen it listed as playing at their other locations before.

Big Ben

#264 Post by Big Ben » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:56 am

Does anyone have any more reliable information about WHY Warner Brothers is so scared of this film being released? They have far worse in their catalog. I've seen a copy and I can't think of anything that should so scare them even after all this time? Is considered blasphemous or something?

](*,)

beamish13

#265 Post by beamish13 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Professor Wagstaff wrote:I think Alamo Drafthouse owns a print they regularly show in their theatres. I've seen it listed as playing at their other locations before.
They might, but that would surprise me, as WB is very litigious regarding privately-owned prints of their films (which is in stark contrast to studios like Paramount and Universal, who actively encourage repertory houses to screen collectors' prints and just pay for licensing fees).

pzadvance

#266 Post by pzadvance » Sat May 07, 2016 7:20 am

Cinefamily in Los Angeles will be showing The Devils "35mm UK Cut" a few different nights in June as part of a series on witches.

beamish13

#267 Post by beamish13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:59 pm

pzadvance wrote:Cinefamily in Los Angeles will be showing The Devils "35mm UK Cut" a few different nights in June as part of a series on witches.
This may not mean much, but there are a number of West Coast screenings happening. The Hollywood Theatre in Portland is screening the UK cut on June 21st, then it's coming back for return engagements at the Cinefamily in July, and it's screening at the Landmark's Nuart on July 15th.

Ste

#268 Post by Ste » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:14 am

For those in the U.K., Sky Cinema (Sky Movies as was) currently has The Devils available to download and watch on demand.

sir_luke

The Devils

#269 Post by sir_luke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:18 am

The Devils is suddenly available to stream via Shudder. Sam Zimmerman said on Twitter that it is the same cut as the BFI DVD, at 109 minutes.

criterion10

#270 Post by criterion10 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:44 pm

sir_luke wrote:Sam Zimmerman said on Twitter that it is the same cut as the BFI DVD, at 109 minutes.
Sadly, though unsurprisingly, Sam Zimmerman is wrong: I can confirm that this is the censored/Russell-disowned US cut, which in its native speed of 108-minutes, runs the same length as the PAL sped-up BFI/X-Rated UK Cut.

Numero Trois

#271 Post by Numero Trois » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:26 am

And other sites seem to be spreading the misinformation as wide as possible.
Bloody Disgusting wrote:Rare Unrated Cut of Controversial 1971 Film ‘The Devils’ Just Hit Shudder

MichaelB

#272 Post by MichaelB » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 am

That's because they're parroting an ill-informed press release without bothering to do any independent research.

My immediate reaction would have been extreme scepticism, and it looks as though it would be amply justified.

(And to back up what criterion10 says, a friend of mine did a side-by-side comparison between the Shudder version and an old US videotape of the R-rated cut: they were pretty much a perfect match.)

captainsolo

#273 Post by captainsolo » Mon May 01, 2017 12:46 pm

I just saw the film for the first time this weekend as I had always hoped there would be an official release.

My local arthouse got a print from WB and it was scope Eastman in optical mono with only one or two very brief pinkish shots-overall in amazingly good shape. The opening logo was a Kinney WB one so it looks to be an original release print.

I expected it to be the US cut but it appeared for all I could tell as the UK cut.
There were:
SpoilerShow
Reed's face going black and further in the burning, the brief shot of his bashed knees while being tortured, the Sister receiving the bone at the end,
I didn't notice anything else as I'm not hugely familiar with the film. Is there any definite shot that is in the UK but not the US cut?

These few screenings may mean the studio is finally loosening up...or someone in this particular department has no idea about the studio's refusal to release the film.

I'm certainly glad I waited to see it this way on the big screen. It's a truly powerful picture that should be available for all to see freely.

Noiradelic

#274 Post by Noiradelic » Mon May 01, 2017 7:56 pm

captainsolo wrote:These few screenings may mean the studio is finally loosening up...or someone in this particular department has no idea about the studio's refusal to release the film.
There have been a handful of screenings in the U.S. over the last several years. Apparently Warner's objections don't extend to the occasional repertory theater. However, it being available on Shudder is a promising new development.

criterion10

#275 Post by criterion10 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:46 pm

captainsolo wrote:Is there any definite shot that is in the UK but not the US cut?
The shot you referenced of
SpoilerShow
Reed's bashed legs
is definitely limited to the UK Cut.