It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:00 am 

People complain about in on Blu-ray.com but I'd much rather have a good-sounding but poor-looking concert film than the other way around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:18 am 
Dot Com Dom

DVD can support PCM, can't it? I seem to recall Metric's concert film was released on DVD but came with a lossless audio option all the same

Post subject: Re: Blu-ray, in General
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:37 am 

I have DVDs from as far back as the late 90's with PCM soundtracks on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 am 

Criterion's The Magic Flute DVD has a PCM soundtrack.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

As did Do the Right Thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:51 pm 

And a lot, if not all were just stereo mixes. It wasn't until Blu-ray that PCM started producing surround sound I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:30 pm 

Dvd perfectly supports PCM but there is a disc space issue : a PCM track (even if only 2.0) takes a lot of space and with only 7Gb, it can be tricky to accomodate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:00 am 

DVDs can have a PCM 2.0 track at max. No 5.1 PCM tracks on DVD.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:56 pm 

The DVD-Video spec allows up to six channels of PCM audio. Actually it allows up to eight, but supposedly that isn't well supported by players and authoring applications. It's all kind of moot since AFAIK no commercially-released DVD has ever used more than two channels for a PCM track, presumably because of the space issue mentioned by tenia—according to this, a single six-channel PCM track would use more than 60% of available bitrate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:53 pm 

Not only the bitrate but also the disc space. I would need to check to be sure but I think a 2hr 5.1 PCM track on DVD was taking about 2Gb.
As for the bitrate, I believe it was in 16 bits so it would be 4.6 Mbps, indeed about 50% of the AV bitrate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:47 pm 

Not Blu-ray specific, but Samsung has created a soundbar surround system which is Dolby Atmos-friendly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:52 pm 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:

Quote:
If you're thinking of upgrading to Atmos, keep in mind that just over a couple dozen Blu-rays support the format so far

There's more than twice this figure (roughly 30 if you only count US titles) : http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=248132

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:15 pm 

The "upward firing sound beams" sounds pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:22 am 

In answering a question about why, for Scream Factory's upcoming release of The Thing, it only received a 2K scan, rather than 4K,
Cliff MacMillan wrote:
Universal did the scan. If we had access to the element we would have done it in 4K, but we have no UHD 4K rights.

Am I reading this correctly and that this is now becoming a thing, where (some) studios won't allow access to elements for a 4K scan unless a label pays for the UHD rights on top of those for a BD/DVD release? Regardless of whether the label plans to release the film on UHD BD or not?
Any way to milk an extra dollar, I guess...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:20 am 

I never understood this type of logic, and I still dont. Universal only did a 2K scan with their own money, so they paid for that. Because of that, if they want to do an UHD, they will lack basic technical sales support to justify the release.
Instead, they could have had Shout paying a better 4k scan, allowing either one of them to do an UHD release if they wanted to. If Shout wouldnt have to, it wouldnt have changed anything UHD wise compared to the current situation.
Stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:12 am 

It was just as baffling when Fox refused point blank to let Arrow do a new 2K scan of 35mm elements of Russ Meyer's The Seven Minutes, even though Arrow would have footed the bill and Fox would end up with a high-quality digital master that they'd own outright, and which would only be licensed to one territory, leaving the rest of the world up for grabs.

Needless to say, this argument was made.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:44 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Patriot's Day has a separate audio track for "late night viewing"-- is this just the regular audio with loud parts turned down?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:48 pm 

It replaces the score with the Cinemax tag music.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:02 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
Patriot's Day has a separate audio track for "late night viewing"-- is this just the regular audio with loud parts turned down?

Mark Wahlberg screams "Fawk you, quit banging on my wall" every few minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm 

domino harvey wrote:

La La Land, another Lionsgate release, will be doing the same, in case you want to drown out the explosions and gunfire.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:17 pm 
Dot Com Dom

[muffled jazz music playing in the distance]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:09 am 

I've calibrated my 5.1 speakers and Denon receiver with the Audyssey feature and you would struggle to be able to sit in the room with the sound at reference level with most modern films. I usually have it at least -10dB on the relative volume scale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:40 am 

"Late night viewing" tracks simply have a compressed dynamic, something that amps have the option to perform by themselves through DRC (Dynamic Range Compression). I know Yamaha amps have it, I believe many amps also do.

It probably turns high volume elements down (explosions, screams, yells, etc) but also can turn low volume elements up (whispered dialogues, for instance).

In theory, you might get a flatter track, something with a much lower dynamic (which would be seen as a negative point on a regular track where high dynamic range is expected) but in practice, the idea is simply not to have to play with the remote, while also having to cope with the lower listening volume (which is usually detrimental to the whole listening experience in HT).

In some respect, Loudness war's results aren't supposedly very different : in the end, you also get a flat track.

TMDaines wrote:
I've calibrated my 5.1 speakers and Denon receiver with the Audyssey feature and you would struggle to be able to sit in the room with the sound at reference level with most modern films. I usually have it at least -10dB on the relative volume scale.

I attended to a HT demo a few years ago (4K JVC projector + 11.4 setup), performed at reference level. Almost every single attendee debriefed the technical team by saying it simply was too loud. The technical team really emphasised they weren't looking to do the demo at anything else than reference level, as if it was a key part of their technical philosophy, but it seemed to be simply wrong. I'm unsure about what was the volume where I sat, but I suppose it was above 100 dB. I don't think it's adequate at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 am 

I wonder if it is psychological. If you're in a cinema listening at reference level, the room is physically bigger and there's less a sense of claustrophobia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:52 pm 

I thought reference level was 70 dB? which is still 10 to 20 higher than I ever listen to anything. I remember when I first got an HT back in the early days of DVD, I'd play people some discs at reference level and everyone hated the loudness. In the home, Most walls are reflective rather than absorbent which makes it worse

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next