It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:49 pm 

Can we assume this is basically a sign they're adding the Director's Cut? According to the fan who originally put the cut together, it is being cleared by the studio with help from De Palma, so hopefully Arrow can get a similar agreement with Universal for their Region B release. If they have to put it on a second disc, I can see them upgrading this to a Limited Edition like they did with Thief for example...maybe even adding some more extras in the process!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:48 pm 

I can't imagine them possibly saying the wait would be worth it if it weren't the directors cut - I'm a bit surprised that it's apparently enough for a five-month delay but as usual with Arrow a little bit of patience should result in the best release possible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:11 am 

Updated Raising Cain specs:

Quote:
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
•Limited Edition [3000 copies] containing two versions of the film on Blu-ray and the theatrical version on DVD
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on both versions
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nathanael Marsh
•Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anne Billson
DISCS 1 & 2: THEATRICAL VERSION [BLU-RAY & DVD]
•High Definition digital transfer of the theatrical version
•Hickory Dickory Doc, a brand-new interview with actor John Lithgow
•The Man in My Life, an interview with actor Steven Bauer
•Have You Talked to the Others?, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
•Three Faces of Henry, an interview with actor Gregg Henry
•The Cat's in the Bag, an interview with actor Tom Bower
•A Little Too Late for That, an interview with actor Mel Harris
•Raising Pino, a brand-new interview with composer Pino Donaggio
•Father’s Day, a brand-new video essay about the multiple versions of Raising Cain by Chris Dumas, author of Un-American Psycho: Brian De Palma and the Political Invisible
•Theatrical Trailer
DISC 3: DIRECTOR’S CUT [LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE]
•Raising Cain: The Director's Cut, a De Palma-endorsed recreation of the film by Peet Belder Gelderblom, re-ordered as originally planned
•Changing Cain: Brian De Palma's Cult Classic Restored, an introduction by Gelderblom to the Director’s Cut
•Raising Cain Re-Cut, a video essay by Gelderblom on the origins and differences of the Director’s Cut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:59 pm 

Just saw Obsession. I'm actually not a fan of DePalma's work, despite enjoying a good number of his set pieces over the years if not an entire film, and this one does not change my views of his filmmaking. But despite a painfully derivative and an awkward story, the score does indeed make a difference and it's a beautiful marriage of music and character during many of the infatuation/courtship/love scenes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:30 pm 

I've not actually watched Obsession yet, but I saw Sisters quite recently and loved it - the Herrmann score is really effective! That film basically solidified him as a favourite filmmaker of mine, and I subsequently enjoyed that Baumbach/Paltrow documentary shortly after. Looking forward to Body Double arriving this weekend (coming from new UK label Indicator), and I also bought a copy of Phantom of the Paradise (and have Raising Cain finally arriving in January). Might even revisit The Untouchables again soon, which has some excellent sequences (scored by one of the greatest, Ennio Morricone).

As for the finalised Raising Cain specs, I'm very happy we're getting everything the Shout Factory disc got plus an interview with the composer, a video essay, and a booklet (possibly even a slipcover too if recent 'upgraded' releases are anything to go by). Be interesting to see if Arrow use a dual-layered or single-layered disc for the Director's Cut disc - I'm thinking they will use BD-50 to match the Shout release, but they have gone BD-25 before (e.g. Bride of Re-Animator). Guess it depends how comfortable they are with the authoring and whether they actually need to save a few pennies or not (this version now being limited to 3000 copies, but many people have pre-ordered it at the very reasonable HMV/Amazon price of £12.99, though I dunno if that makes much difference to Arrow).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:43 pm 

I watched a bit of Obsession again, and I have to say, this may be the De Palma film for deep skeptics of his work.

It's not his most technically accomplished film, but it may embody his work better than anything else he's done, in a way that can be seen as critical of his vision (or lack thereof).

De Palma's harshest critics claim he thinks he's Hitchcock, and that he isn't because he lacks the genuine fascination with human behavior (or what makes us human). Some claim he's more interested in duplicating Hitchcock's films than creating anything personal himself.

One of De Palma's favorite films is of course Vertigo, and Obsession is obviously heavily inspired by it. The harshest critics say it's De Palma just trying to remake Vertigo, just as Sisters was a pastiche of other Hitchcock films.

If you believe there's a lot of truth to that, I would say that even though Obsession may be repeating the same approach, the context makes it much more engaging. Mirroring Scottie's relationship to Madeleine, here is De Palma fixated on a film that he not only adores but is compelled to reproduce as closely as he can, short of a straight up remake. If it seems too close to a rip-off, that's the point - it's not lack of imagination so much as a perpetual compulsion on De Palma's part, telegraphed by a scene in Obsession when one of the main characters is working on an art restoration - she wonders if she should try holding on to an original element of the work that is very degraded, and her suitor tells her to "hold on to it." The character is obviously echoing his own inability to let go of the wife he's lost (and will try replacing with a lookalike), but this spells out De Palma's modus operandi with Obsession. De Palma even gets Herrmann again to do the score (and to drive the point home, he used Vertigo's score as a temp track in order to convince a producer to let him hire Herrmann).

At worst, if you were really dismissive of this work, you can say it sounds like a pathetic exercise in trying to replicate a film that De Palma could never approach, giving us a hollow thriller instead of a profound, disturbing masterpiece with a deeply felt tragedy. Scottie trying to revive Madeleine through another woman could be thought along the same terms - that is, what's going on between Scottie and Judy is necrophilia instead of real love. But I think both assessments (of Obsession and of Scottie & Judy) are ultimately wrong. Judy really is in love with Scottie and there's a terrible yet honest sadness in how she allows Scottie to do something so awful to her. I'm not moved by Obsession the way I am by Vertigo, but I find it compelling for what it sees in Vertigo and what it regurgitates. That is, it may not come close to reaching the same heights as Vertigo, but its reach is fascinating.

And thanks to Herrmann, Obsession does have real feeling - as I mentioned in an earlier post, his score articulates beautifully what's going on between the two romantic leads. The best is when Robertson goes back and follows her after work. Not a word is exchanged, he stays behind her. It builds to a marvelous peak, when she goes into her home and he comes out on the street. Watch as he walks and pulls up, and how the music shifts and subtly augments that moment. His back's to you and he's in long shot, but with that bit of walking in synch with that perfect music, you can feel Robertson's heart begin to flutter. And then the killer is when we fade to a shot that drifts down from a ceiling to Robertson, who's in the foreground of a deep focus shot. As that camera floats down, listen to those soft, stray notes plucked on the soundtrack. When we finally land on Robertson (seen in profile, deep in thought), you can feel his mind miles away, thinking only of her.

Watch that scene alone and without music - what's going on is still clear, but you don't feel the intoxicating pull that's swallowing him up. It could be a cold case of stalking that elicits no empathy. That changes with Herrmann's score.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:54 pm 

Raising Cain is now in stock at the Arrow store

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Raising Cain is awful in every way a film can be bad. I watched the director's cut and the special feature on the differences. As suspected, nothing short of it being a different film could help matters. Such a tiring, broad movie, counterintuitively arranged and ludicrously heightened to the point of second-hand embarrassment at its winking "Isn't this just the worst" absurdity. I guess there's an audience for ultra-arch wanking, but no thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
Raising Cain is awful in every way a film can be bad. I watched the director's cut and the special feature on the differences. As suspected, nothing short of it being a different film could help matters. Such a tiring, broad movie, counterintuitively arranged and ludicrously heightened to the point of second-hand embarrassment at its winking "Isn't this just the worst" absurdity. I guess there's an audience for ultra-arch wanking, but no thanks

I don't know, it's kind of an unpleasant film and has a lot of problems but its manic absurdity is still more interesting to me than Carrie, the incredibly overrated The Untouchables, The Fury, or the completely disastrous Bonfire of the Vanities, to name a few. It just barely skates by on its winking OTT-ness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23 am 

Yeah, I'd put it towards the middle of the De Palma catalog, to be honest - it doesn't do the cardinal sin of his worst (being dull) but other than the last set-piece which is typically insane it's kind of just petering along. I've not yet seen the Director's Cut edit though I'm looking forward to it. For a guy who almost always has a real flair for ending shots it's also one of his best, which is saying something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:51 am 

The ending shot is so amusing it turns up again:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
at the end of Passion!

Post subject: Carrie
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:20 am 

In 1974, Stephen King published his first novel, the story of Carrie White, a troubled young girl, bullied by her peers and daughter to a fanatical fundamentalist mother, who discovers she has telekinetic powers. In 1976, it became the first of his works to be adapted for the big screen and, to this day, remains one of the very best.

Carrie marked Brian De Palma’s arrival as a major director, following smaller cult films such as Sisters, Phantom of the Paradise and Obsession, and provided a key early role for Sissy Spacek (Badlands), one that would earn her a Best Actress nomination at the Academy Awards. Piper Laurie would also pick up a nomination, for Best Supporting Actress, as Carrie’s mother, while future stars such as Amy Irving, John Travolta and Nancy Allen were give their first major parts in a big-screen production.

Restored in 4K from the original negative, this collector’s edition provides the definitive release of a horror classic.

COLLECTOR’S EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES

• 4K restoration from the original negative
• High Definition (1080p) presentation
• DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio and uncompressed 1.0 mono soundtracks
• Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Commentary by Lee Gambin, author of Nope, Nothing Wrong Here: The Making of Cujo, and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Cultographies: Ms. 45 and Devil’s Advocates: Suspiria, recorded exclusively for this release
• Brand-new visual essay comparing the various versions and adaptations of Carrie across the years
• Acting Carrie, archive featurette containing interviews with director Brian De Palma, actors Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt and others
• More Acting Carrie, additional interviews with the cast of the film
• Visualising Carrie: From Words to Images, archive featurette containing interviews with De Palma, writer Lawrence D. Cohen, editor Paul Hirsch and art director Jack Fisk
• Singing Carrie: Carrie the Musical, archive featurette on the stage musical adaptation of King’s novel
• Writing Carrie, an interview with writer Lawrence D. Cohen
• Shooting Carrie, an interview with cinematographer Mario Tosi
• Cutting Carrie, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
• Casting Carrie, an interview with casting director Harriet B. Helberg
• Bucket of Blood, an interview with composer Pino Donaggio
• Horror’s Hallowed Grounds, a look back at the locations of Carrie
• Gallery
• Trailer
• TV spots
• Radio spots
• Carrie trailer reel
• Limited edition 60-page booklet featuring new writing on the film by Neil Mitchell, author of Devil’s Advocates: Carrie, and numerous reprints and interviews

December 11

Post subject: Re: Carrie
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 am 

Oh Wow! Thank you very much!
I'm glad i didn't buy the Shout release.

And I see it's announced here before the Arrow facebook page too!

This won't be limited like The thing , right?

Post subject: Re: Carrie
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:29 am 

It's not announced before Facebook, it's just that Arrow (for good reason) puts the titles on their site about 15 minutes before they're announced proper.

This *is* a limited edition, but it wouldn't surprise me if they start off with something like 5,000 or maybe not even giving a number until near release so they don't disappoint.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am 

It is limited to 5,000 copies.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:51 am 

Website seems down again, and here's where the Amazon link will be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am 

If i pre-order through Arrow, do they hold my money?
Amazon didn't when I pre-ordered The thing.

edit: Never mind.
I just read:
Quote:
Payment for pre-order items will be collected now for despatch on the release date.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 pm 

I had £5 in points in my account so I went ahead and preordered. It looks like a special set.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:12 am 

Very pedantic question but...

"Back when the film was first released, Miss Collins said that the girls did a "really shitty thing the other day". On newer versions of the film it's a "really shitty thing yesterday". This must have been done when the filmmakers realized the scene took place the very next day after the opening shower incident and Betty Buckley obviously had to re-dub it. The dub is even noticeable on the DVD. " - IMDB

Any chance we could finally have the original mono track? The re-dub always bugs me.

Yes, I am a nerd!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 pm 

Some extras have been added and others have been more clarified

[*]Alternate title sequence created for network television screenings
[*]More Acting Carrie, additional cast interviews with Laurie, Katt, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, Edie McClurg and P.J. Soles
[*]Reversible sleeve featuring original and new artwork by Laz Marquez

Arrow also refers to this dubbing issue:
"After trawling through the MGM vaults, we have rediscovered the alternative opening title sequence prepared for network television! The sequence – which hasn’t been seen in years – presented a more chaste approach to the girls’ locker room in order to appease TV guidelines.
While tracking down this sequence, we also checked out the original soundtracks to see if we could locate the original “really shitty thing the other day” line of dialogue, but unfortunately all of the mags in the archive contained the “really shitty thing yesterday” line instead."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:21 pm 

Banasa wrote:
[*]Alternate title sequence created for network television screenings

I presume they mean this. (NSFW, but still safer than what's in the final movie).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 pm 

Funny, I think what I taped off BBC1 in 2001 had that opening AND the "other day" line, but I don't have the tape anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:22 am 

Do they stop printing the booklets for these after a certain point? I just received a sealed, apparently new copy of Sisters with no booklet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:02 am 

I believe this is true of basically all of their releases from the last few years--they're either limited editions in name or limited with regard to the booklet being included.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 am 

Too bad, it was a very good booklet, even if the table of contents numbering was off. Including a new printing of booklets with the second printing would allow such errors to be put right, plus keeping in print De Palma's essential account of working with Herrmann on Sisters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next