Brain Damage

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Brain Damage

#1 Post by Ribs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 am

IT’S A HEADACHE FROM HELL!

From Frank Henenlotter, the man behind such cult horror favourites as Basket Case and Frankenhooker, comes Brain Damage – the ultimate head-trip, now finally on Blu-ray!

Meet Elmer. He’s your local, friendly parasite with the ability to induce euphoric hallucinations in his hosts. But these LSD-like trips come with a hefty price tag. When young Brian comes under Elmer’s addictive spell, it’s not long before he finds himself scouring the city streets in search of his parasite’s preferred food source – brains!

Featuring late TV horror host John Zacherley as the voice of Elmer, Brain Damage boasts some of the most astonishing bad taste gore-gags ever realized, including the notorious “brain-pulling sequence” and a blow-job that ends with a distinctly unconventional climax.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Digital transfer from original film elements
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by writer-director Frank Henenlotter
Brand new interviews with cast and crew
Q&A with Henenlotter recorded at the 2016 Offscreen Film Festival
Theatrical Trailer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
Limited edition O-card with exclusive artwork
Collector’s Booklet with new writing on the film
PLUS MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!!!

PLUS!!! EXCLUSIVE ENAMEL “ELMER” PIN BADGE, AVAILABLE ONLY FROM THE ARROW STORE!
*LIMITED QUANTITY, AVAILABLE WHILE STOCKS LAST

gcgiles1dollarbin

Re: Brain Damage

#2 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:59 pm

As a big fan of Basket Case and Brain Damage, I must share this glorious cultural announcement: MOMA is restoring and preserving Basket Case in its permanent film collection.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Quite right too.

What A Disgrace

#4 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:00 pm

This month's lineup has its critics, but this package sounds awesome to me. I've always wanted to see this and Basket Case, and an Arrow edition is the best way to get around to it.

M Sanderson

#5 Post by M Sanderson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:48 am

Any details on the transfer?

Soneone has stated - I've forgotten where I've seen it - that Synapse claim Arrow's Blu ray is sourced from the same master as Synapse's DVD. (Admittedly I know nothing about the Synapse DVD.)

Adam X

#6 Post by Adam X » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:46 am

Well, Synapse's last DVD was based on "1080p/24fps high-definition D5 premastering" done in 2003. I've seen a few people vaguely stating they think they heard or remember something about Arrow's release using the same master possibly somewhere or sometime, without backing up their casual claim or responding when questioned on this. Whether or not this is what Arrow have done (and Synapse's DVD did look really good though it's 14yo), at the moment this just appears to be another tiresome case of the internet needing to trash something before it's even been finished. Because who cares if they're right or who this affects, so long as they get to say it first.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:54 am

In any case, the fact that Arrow still claims it's a "High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations" and not a "brand new 2K restoration" or "brand new 4K restoration" would point towards the release using the pre-existing master anyway. Seeing what sources are still being used for BD releases in 2016 and 2017, using a 14 yo HD master would not surprise me.

Adam X

#8 Post by Adam X » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 am

No, of course, it'd seem clear it's not a new master; while a new 4K restoration for every release would be the unrealistic ideal, it's hardly the end of the world. Even if it was from the same source, it's not like Arrow'd be using a Fox Lorber master for the film.

Also, the final specs were announced...
Arrow Video wrote:High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
Original Mono and 5.1 DTS-HD MA Surround Audio Options
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Isolated Score
Brand new audio commentary by writer-director Frank Henenlotter
Listen to the Light: The Making of Brain Damage – brand new documentary featuring interviews with actor Rick Herbst, producer Edgar Ievins, editor James Kwei, first assistant director Gregory Lamberson, visual effects supervisor Al Magliochetti and makeup artist Dan Frye
The Effects of Brain Damage – FX artist and creator of “Elmer” Gabe Bartalos looks back at his iconic effects work on the film
Animating Elmer – featurette looking at the contributions of visual effects supervisor Al Magliochetti
Karen Ogle: A Look Back – stills photographer, script supervisor and assistant editor Karen Ogle recalls her fond memories of working on Brain Damage
Elmer’s Turf: The NYC Locations of Brain Damage – featurette revisiting the film’s original shooting locations
Tasty Memories: A Brain Damage Obsession – an interview with superfan Adam Skinner
Brain Damage Q&A with Frank Henenlotter recorded at the 2016 Offscreen Film Festival
Image Galleries
Original Theatrical Trailer
Bygone Behemoth – animated short by Harry Chaskin, featuring a brief appearance by John Zacherle in his final onscreen credit
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
Limited Edition O-card with exclusive artwork
Collector’s Booklet with new writing on the film by Michael Gingold, illustrated with original archive stills and posters