Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
rohmerin

Re: Identify This Movie

#1076 Post by rohmerin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:21 am

Two films, both related to WW2.

1- Filmed in 60's Prague during their New Wave, occupied by Nazis but all looks 60's. Black and White. It's not The cremator, it's other.

2- In color, brutal, terrible and explicit how prisoners were forced to take off Gold from teeth after the Gas chamber. With pliers. I though it was In Darkness (the Polish film, but I re watched last night and it's not there). A prisoner forget or pass a victim and the Nazi supervisor kills him.

Gracias.

theflirtydozen

#1077 Post by theflirtydozen » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:41 pm

rohmerin wrote:1- Filmed in 60's Prague during their New Wave, occupied by Nazis but all looks 60's. Black and White. It's not The cremator, it's other.
...a pátý jezdec je Strach (...and the Fifth Horseman is Fear)?

fufala

#1078 Post by fufala » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:24 am

When I was a child I saw a movie, which I can't identify now. The only episode which sank deep into my memory is about a girl with long blond hair, who was walking on a rope between two trees. The atmosphere of it feels like a Swedish film. I thought that it was from one of Bergman's, but since then I saw most of them and I couldn't recognize it.

bear

#1079 Post by bear » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:30 pm

fufala wrote:When I was a child I saw a movie, which I can't identify now. The only episode which sank deep into my memory is about a girl with long blond hair, who was walking on a rope between two trees. The atmosphere of it feels like a Swedish film. I thought that it was from one of Bergman's, but since then I saw most of them and I couldn't recognize it.
That's Bo Widerberg's Elvira Madigan!

GabrielZ

#1080 Post by GabrielZ » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:37 pm

I lost a movie when my laptop got stolen 2 years ago, and for the life of me I can't find it again.
I vaguely remember the plot, if you can call it that.

It was about the last day of earth. The movie didn't explicitly tell what was going to happen, but from the last sequence it seemed that a comet was about to hit the earth, and you could see occasionally a brightly glowing ball in the sky becoming bigger and bigger during the movie.

The point of the movie, however, was a pretty realistic (IMHO) depiction of how people will probably behave during that last day.
It showed one man just trying to be alone, but he got disturbed by a woman who desperately tried to call her husband.
There was another man, kind of a manager at the city's gas or water company, calling each and every customer that their service was going to stop and crossing out each customer in a list.
There were people on the streets looting shops. And several other behaviors were shown.
The movie ended with the last few seconds before the impact, when everything got white, i.e., the impact happened.

From the look of the cars and the overall appearance of the actors, it seemed to me that the movie was made during the 70s. But I am not certain.

I have checked a number of web sites listing "end of world" films, such as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... #1970-1979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls009625336/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... ic_fiction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
to no avail. (Also, I googled quite a bit.)

Any hints will be highly appreciated.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1081 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:28 pm

It's Last Night

GabrielZ

#1082 Post by GabrielZ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:It's Last Night
Which one?

If you meant the movie I am looking for, then I am sorry that I didn't describe it very well, it is not the one.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1083 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:02 pm

There was another man, kind of a manager at the city's gas or water company, calling each and every customer that their service was going to stop and crossing out each customer in a list.
This is a well-known scene from Last Night, hard to believe another movie would copy it. I wonder if you are misremembering Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, which ends as you mention and features many of the attributes and scenes you're looking for

GabrielZ

#1084 Post by GabrielZ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:00 pm

Ah, I realize now that there are actually two movies called "Last Night" , on from 1998, one from 2010 - I have seen both of them, BTW.
You are right, of course, it is "Last Night" as of 1998.
Thank you so much!
Best regards,
Gabriel.

SalParadise

what film?

#1086 Post by SalParadise » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:10 pm

I just listened to The Chairman Dances by John Adams and immediately knew I had seen a movie with this music. Checking on IMDb, I Am Love used this piece (which I have indeed seen), but I'm sure there is another film not listen in IMDb that uses this cue. Any ideas?

androse

#1087 Post by androse » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:39 am

I am new to this forum and am hoping to identify a movie/short film that I saw years ago. I believe it might have been Russian? A short film? A silent film?

The film was about a man carrying around a question mark looking for something. He seems to be getting more and more dejected. He eventually sits down on a bench outdoors. There is a woman who is either already sitting on the bench or sits down after he is there. She then pulls out a question mark of her own. One of them then turns their question mark around, they put the questions marks together to form a heart. A very simple story that I found very touching at the time... but have not been able to identify it for years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ianthemovie

#1088 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:30 am

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm now realizing that a student film I saw in college totally ripped this off. It was about a girl carrying around a plastic heart and unsuccessfully trying to give it to people. In the end she found a guy also carrying around a heart and they glued the two hearts together. Cue eyeroll.

Jonathan S

#1089 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:06 am

androse wrote:I am new to this forum and am hoping to identify a movie/short film that I saw years ago. I believe it might have been Russian? A short film? A silent film?

The film was about a man carrying around a question mark looking for something. He seems to be getting more and more dejected. He eventually sits down on a bench outdoors. There is a woman who is either already sitting on the bench or sits down after he is there. She then pulls out a question mark of her own. One of them then turns their question mark around, they put the questions marks together to form a heart. A very simple story that I found very touching at the time... but have not been able to identify it for years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's the 1967 Halas & Batchelor cartoon The Question (see final scene).

Roscoe

#1090 Post by Roscoe » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:21 am

"I just listened to The Chairman Dances by John Adams and immediately knew I had seen a movie with this music. Checking on IMDb, I Am Love used this piece (which I have indeed seen), but I'm sure there is another film not listen in IMDb that uses this cue. Any ideas?"

A snippet of something clearly inspired by THE CHAIRMAN DANCES appears in Baz Luhrmann's THE GREAT GATSBY.

MaxBercovicz

#1091 Post by MaxBercovicz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Has there been a movie where the characters discuss Macbeth? And maybe there are "cutaway" scenes in which the descriptions of Macbeth that are being discussed are shown visually. And then the discussion of Macbeth starts to get into the head of one of the characters (perhaps driving him mad) and the actual storyline of the movie becomes a little macbethian.

Mr. Deltoid

#1092 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:02 pm

No answers, but another question.

I saw a clip of a film around 20 years ago and would love to know from which film it came from. I'm pretty sure it was shown as part of BBC2's Close Up series, which was commissioned to celebrate the centenary of cinema and which featured various critics and personalities discussing their favourite moments in film history.

Anyway, this particular clip featured the death of a man in what I recall to be a bit of wasteland or a back alley at night, where he collapses into a large puddle. Above him, in the distant sky, some fireworks are exploding (as part of a celebration or fiesta somewhere in the town) and are consequently reflected in the puddle beneath the man's lifeless body, as if the rockets are exploding around him! I'm pretty confident the film was in black and white, possibly late 50's, 60's?

Much appreciated if anyone knows the answer.

antnield

#1093 Post by antnield » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:16 pm

Ashes and Diamonds

Mr. Deltoid

#1094 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:03 pm

antnield, your a star!

L.A.

#1095 Post by L.A. » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:16 am

Anyone know what film is in question?

knives

#1096 Post by knives » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:59 pm

In his diaries Kafka mentions seeing a few films and I wonder if they still exist and if so are they available for viewing. On a November 1913 entry he mentions seeing somethings called Lolotte, The Accident on the Dock, and Alone at Last.

Thanks ahead of time.

dda1996a

#1097 Post by dda1996a » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:07 pm

I only remember the scene, so it goes like this
A couple is each laying in bed. From the angle it looks as if they are in separate beds and are very far from each other, but the punchline is a shot showing they are actually right next to each other. Anyone know what film it's from?

thirtyframesasecond

#1098 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:04 pm

ianthemovie wrote:I don't have an answer for you, but I'm now realizing that a student film I saw in college totally ripped this off. It was about a girl carrying around a plastic heart and unsuccessfully trying to give it to people. In the end she found a guy also carrying around a heart and they glued the two hearts together. Cue eyeroll.
Sounds like the video to Another Chance by Roger Sanchez.

Swift

#1099 Post by Swift » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:59 pm

knives wrote:In his diaries Kafka mentions seeing a few films and I wonder if they still exist and if so are they available for viewing. On a November 1913 entry he mentions seeing somethings called Lolotte, The Accident on the Dock, and Alone at Last.

Thanks ahead of time.
His fleeting references to film, combined with fuller accounts by his friend Max Brod, have been collated and analysed in Hanns Zischler, Kafka Goes to the Movies (Chicago/London: University of Chicago Press, 2003). Zischler identifies the films to which Kafka refers as being L’Enfant de Paris [i.e. Lolotte] (France 1913), Katastrofen I Dokken (Denmark 1913) and Endlich allein, oder Isidors Hochzeitsreise (Germany 1913).

http://picturegoing.com/?p=956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zedz

#1100 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:35 pm

L'Enfant de Paris is great, and it's available in one of those early Gaumont sets.