The Wonder Years

Discuss TV shows old and new.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: TV on DVD

#2 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Nice that they gave a shout-out to Ed as now being the most requested MIA series-- I still can't believe one of the greatest shows of all time languishes in obscurity despite most of its cast going on to other high-profile things, especially since it was years ahead of its time and would find such a welcoming audience if people had a chance to watch it

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Time Life has secured 96% of the music cues from the series, and lists them here

Roger Ryan

#4 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:34 am

domino harvey wrote:
Time Life has secured 96% of the music cues from the series, and lists them here
Given that artists like the Beatles, Dylan, the Beach Boys, the Stones, the Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel as well as various Motown artists are represented, you have to wonder what artists or songs were among the 4% that couldn't be re-licensed (did anyone sing "Happy Birthday" on any of the episodes?).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#5 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 am

Oof, the exclusivity and price are quite disappointing (considering how many people have likely clicked "Let me know when this is available" on Amazon, they're missing out on a lot of sales), but it really is an impressive lineup of restored music. I wonder if any Wonder Years historians will be going through the list and determining what wasn't able to be retained.

flyonthewall2983

#6 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 am

Maybe they'll release the seasons individually eventually.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:35 am

mfunk9786 wrote: I wonder if any Wonder Years historians will be going through the list and determining what wasn't able to be retained.
Someone will know immediately. When they did the same music info for China Beach someone on the internet had the answers for what was missing within like hours

And this will surely get the same roll-out as other Time Life "exclusives"-- a year or so of only being available direct and then a season by season roll-out for traditional retailers

flyonthewall2983

Re: The Wonder Years

#8 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:40 am

They'd have to, if just to make a better profit on what's certainly the pretty penny they had to pay to get all that music.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#9 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:23 pm

The somewhat unusual circumstances of the release worry me though - maybe they were only able to get the rights to all this music for the full series release on their website. $250 is just too steep for me either way, though - was hoping for something like a $250 MSRP, but more like $175 on Amazon the first time it goes on sale.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:04 pm

I will PayPal you $250 if there is not an individual retail release within two years, that's how sure I am

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:43 pm

Now THAT'S what I call reassuring!

JGBollard

#12 Post by JGBollard » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:Given that artists like the Beatles, Dylan, the Beach Boys, the Stones, the Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel as well as various Motown artists are represented, you have to wonder what artists or songs were among the 4% that couldn't be re-licensed (did anyone sing "Happy Birthday" on any of the episodes?).
Long time unregistered lurker, first post. Hello and please be kind.

When reading the above link I did wonder who/what the missing 4% were. My initial thoughts were the Beatles aka "they who shalt never be licenced (except by the BBC for region 2/B releases for some reason)" and the fact "Your Mother Should Know", "All You Need Is Love", "When I'm 64" and "Something" are all listed as instrumentals could be considered evidence for this. Two songs from musicals, "We're In the Money" and something from the Wizard of Oz, are are also listed as instrumentals so maybe they're another two they couldn't clear?

On a different note, was pleased to see this series finally getting a DVD release. However, at $250 I'll wait for the indervidual season releases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#13 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Gregory

#14 Post by Gregory » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:28 pm

So this TV pilot raised $128 on Kickstarter:

"The Wonder Years II is the coming-of-age narrative of Winnie and Kevin's only daughter, Madison. Ten years after graduating high school and going their separate ways; Kevin Arnold and Winnie Cooper reunite. The passions quickly rekindles and the two end up getting married and having a daughter. Some twenty years after high school, their daughter is entering into her adolescence. This series is told through her future self and tells a tail of how it was that she was able to survive girlhood, boys, and her Aspergers."

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Almost 13 times the pledges from his first two projects combined. Good for him.