Raising Cain

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Raising Cain

#1 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:25 am

Having spent the latter half of the eighties trying out new styles of filmmaking; Wise Guys' knockabout comedy, The Untouchables' prestige gangster pic, Casualties of War's Vietnam movie and The Bonfire of the Vanities' satirical misfire Brian De Palma returned to what he knew best, the Hitchcockian psycho-thriller, for Raising Cain.

John Lithgow plays three roles: child psychologist Carter, his evil twin brother Cain, and their Norwegian father, Dr Nix, who likes to experimental on the young. Carter's wife is concerned that her husband isn't quite paying their daughter the right kind of attention; she's also having an affair which, upon discovery, threatens to send him into a psychotic rage...

A relentless blend of murder, multiple personalities, cross-dressing, crazed parents, bizarre dream sequences and stunning cinematic assurance, Raising Cain harks back to those twin masterpieces Psycho and Peeping Tom, but is pure unadulterated De Palma.

CONTENTS
  • High Definition digital transfer of the theatrical version
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Hickory Dickory Doc, a brand-new interview with actor John Lithgow
  • The Man in My Life, an interview with actor Steven Bauer
  • Have You Talked to the Others?, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
  • Three Faces of Henry, an interview with actor Gregg Henry
  • The Cat's in the Bag, an interview with actor Tom Bower
  • A Little Too Late for That, an interview with actor Mel Harris
  • Raising Pino, a brand-new interview with composer Pino Donaggio
  • Father's Day, a brand-new video essay about the multiple versions of Raising Cain by Chris Dumas, author of Un-American Psycho: Brian De Palma and the Political Invisible
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nathanael Marsh

beamish13

Re: Raising Cain

#2 Post by beamish13 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:29 am

Ribs wrote:I know it'll never happen, but I really do wonder if it'd be possible to get De Palma to sign off on a proper director's cut of this the way it was meant to be structured. If both Arrow and Shout were unable to get it done I doubt it ever will, but surely that's the one feature everybody's really hoping to see.
That would be interesting. De Palma has largely resisted tampering with the theatrical cuts of any of his films, with the sole exception being Casualties of War, which he was pressured into tightening by Columbia.

rapta

#3 Post by rapta » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:32 am

Due out the day before the Scream Factory release. I wonder if they'll be carbon copies of each other (or near enough) - either like the recent Flicker Alley/Arrow Academy noirs Woman on the Run and Too Late For Tears (exactly the same disc), or more like the Mondo Macabro/BFI releases of Symptoms (same transfer, very similar extras).

Either way, great to have more De Palma on Blu-ray! I've not seen this one, but I love John Lithgow and his interview will be a highlight and reason enough to get this release.

Finch

#4 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:25 am

Fantastic artwork for this film. I've never seen it before but it's a blind-buy. Thanks Arrow for saving me the hassle and wait to import the Shout Factory BD.

Ashirg

#5 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:28 am

Previous competing Arrow Video and Scream Factory releases never been carbon copies of each other - see Phantom of the Paradise, White of the Eye or Corman Edgar Allan Poe adaptations. I doubt this will not be a case like Woman on the Run / Too Late for Tears that had Film Noir Foundation involvement - Raising Cain is being licensed from a major studio (Universal).

colinr0380

#6 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:03 pm

Finch wrote:Fantastic artwork for this film. I've never seen it before but it's a blind-buy. Thanks Arrow for saving me the hassle and wait to import the Shout Factory BD.
If you're weren't a fan of John Lithgow and Frances Sternhagen before, this film might make you one! (My other favourite Frances Sternhagen role being the jaded doctor on the Jupiter mining colony in the High Noon-but in space Outland!)

While I prefer the early 80s films, this is a great (and as usual for De Palma very funny!) return to Hitchcock with the now notorious shock ending that De Palma repeated again in Passion. There's also an interesting time/fate theme running throughout it that works really well, especially when we get into the various stages of arrested development of the title character, where the clock seems to have been stopped at various traumatic breaks in his psyche, splitting off a new personality forever stuck in one moment, as one thing.

Here's the article from the person who recut the film that includes an introductory video (though its full of spoilers, so watch with care!), which makes a really good case for the way that the film works better with Jenny's scenes bunched together at the beginning, turning the opening half hour into a kind of homage to the early section of Dressed To Kill!

Though after all that I guess really the biggest moral lession of Raising Cain is simply to just look where you are running/driving!

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:11 pm

Ashirg wrote:Previous competing Arrow Video and Scream Factory releases never been carbon copies of each other - see Phantom of the Paradise, White of the Eye or Corman Edgar Allan Poe adaptations. I doubt this will not be a case like Woman on the Run / Too Late for Tears that had Film Noir Foundation involvement - Raising Cain is being licensed from a major studio (Universal).
That's true. I just thought it was a little fishy they both had an interview with John Lithgow and are being released the exact same week, but I'm guessing they just did their own brand new interview each. Or that could just be the only bit they'll be sharing.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#8 Post by tenia » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Lithgow might be touring with the new restoration the same way Caan did with Thief (he did at least 3 different interviews on the movie for 3 different releases : FR, UK and US).

thirtyframesasecond

#9 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:31 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Finch wrote:Fantastic artwork for this film. I've never seen it before but it's a blind-buy. Thanks Arrow for saving me the hassle and wait to import the Shout Factory BD.
If you're weren't a fan of John Lithgow and Frances Sternhagen before, this film might make you one! (My other favourite Frances Sternhagen role being the jaded doctor on the Jupiter mining colony in the High Noon-but in space Outland!)

While I prefer the early 80s films, this is a great (and as usual for De Palma very funny!) return to Hitchcock with the now notorious shock ending that De Palma repeated again in Passion. There's also an interesting time/fate theme running throughout it that works really well, especially when we get into the various stages of arrested development of the title character, where the clock seems to have been stopped at various traumatic breaks in his psyche, splitting off a new personality forever stuck in one moment, as one thing.

Here's the article from the person who recut the film that includes an introductory video (though its full of spoilers, so watch with care!), which makes a really good case for the way that the film works better with Jenny's scenes bunched together at the beginning, turning the opening half hour into a kind of homage to the early section of Dressed To Kill!

Though after all that I guess really the biggest moral lession of Raising Cain is simply to just look where you are running/driving!
Apparently De Palma wanted Lithgow to play Sherman McCoy in The Bonfire of the Vanities - I think he'd have nailed the character better than Hanks but then the film was a train wreck anyway.

knives

#10 Post by knives » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:36 pm

The end result is only a trainwreck through the casting so something as simple as Lithgow replacing Willis would have improved the film astronomically (though I maintain John Cleese would be the best for the role). I could see Lithgow doing the opening shot much more effectively then Willis who basically single handedly ruins it with his misplaced acting choices.

beamish13

#11 Post by beamish13 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:58 pm

The single biggest lesson of The Devil's Candy is the importance of a filmmaker trusting their instincts. De Palma constantly second-guessed his casting inclinations, including Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith (who replaced Uma Thurman), Morgan Freeman and Hanks.

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Where did you hear about Lithgow? I thought the two main casting alternatives for Sherman McCoy were William Hurt and (believe it or not) Steve Martin?

thirtyframesasecond

#13 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:Where did you hear about Lithgow? I thought the two main casting alternatives for Sherman McCoy were William Hurt and (believe it or not) Steve Martin?
I thought it was in the Devil's Candy (don't have it to hand to check) but Wikipedia attributes it to an Empire interview. Although Wikipedia suggests Chevy Chase was considered!!!

Randall Maysin

#14 Post by Randall Maysin » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Well, I've always thought that, if he just dialled back his sympathetic-ness to the appropriate degree, but not his foolishness or schmuckiness, that Tim Robbins was born to play Sherman McCoy. But that's just me.

Calvin

#15 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Ribs wrote:I know it'll never happen, but I really do wonder if it'd be possible to get De Palma to sign off on a proper director's cut of this the way it was meant to be structured. If both Arrow and Shout were unable to get it done I doubt it ever will, but surely that's the one feature everybody's really hoping to see.
Scream Factory have just announced their extras:

DISC ONE:
- Theatrical Version Of The Film
- NEW Interviews With Actors John Lithgow, Steven Bauer, Gregg Henry, Tom Bower, Mel Harris And Editor Paul Hirsch
- Original Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWO:
- "Director's Cut" Of The Film Featuring Scenes Reordered As Originally Intended
- NEW Changing Cain: DePalma's Cult Classic Restored Featurette
- NEW Raising Cain Re-Cut – A Video Essay By Peet Gelderblom

For once, Scream seem to have one-upped Arrow by managing to get the alternative cut on there - unless Arrow have worked something out in the meantime as well.

carmilla mircalla

Re: The Brian De Palma Collection

#16 Post by carmilla mircalla » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:49 pm

that sounds great and all but since "director's cut" is in parentheses and it just mentions a re-order of the scenes I wonder if it's just this which is a fan edit that was intended and has been free for online viewing for quite some time. No mention of De Palma's involvement either...

Calvin

#17 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:01 pm

carmilla mircalla wrote:that sounds great and all but since "director's cut" is in parentheses and it just mentions a re-order of the scenes I wonder if it's just this which is a fan edit that was intended and has been free for online viewing for quite some time. No mention of De Palma's involvement either...
It's likely, as Peet Gelderblom is who put that together. But it is pretty well done, and this means that it'll be available legally and in HD.

effigy105

#18 Post by effigy105 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:25 pm

carmilla mircalla wrote:that sounds great and all but since "director's cut" is in parentheses and it just mentions a re-order of the scenes I wonder if it's just...which is a fan edit that was intended and has been free for online viewing for quite some time. No mention of De Palma's involvement either...
http://www.directorama.net/2016/07/chan ... ctors-cut/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's exactly what it is, although freshly re-created with HD materials. De Palma himself wanted it on the disc. Still no word from Arrow on whether they're planning on including it though.

Ashirg

#19 Post by Ashirg » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:17 pm

As of June 13 Arrow said they tried and did not get it. Wonder if Universal didn't approve it to be included in Region B release and if involvement of Brian De Palma can fix it...

The Narrator Returns

#20 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:34 pm

***RAISING CAIN RELEASE DATE UPDATE***

Unfortunately we are having to postpone our release of Raising Cain to January 2017 whilst we continue to work on our release. We are very sorry for any disappointment this will cause but we are sure you will be pleased with the final package once it arrives.

rapta

#21 Post by rapta » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Can we assume this is basically a sign they're adding the Director's Cut? According to the fan who originally put the cut together, it is being cleared by the studio with help from De Palma, so hopefully Arrow can get a similar agreement with Universal for their Region B release. If they have to put it on a second disc, I can see them upgrading this to a Limited Edition like they did with Thief for example...maybe even adding some more extras in the process!

Ribs

#22 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:48 pm

I can't imagine them possibly saying the wait would be worth it if it weren't the directors cut - I'm a bit surprised that it's apparently enough for a five-month delay but as usual with Arrow a little bit of patience should result in the best release possible.

Ribs

#23 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:11 am

Updated Raising Cain specs:
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
•Limited Edition [3000 copies] containing two versions of the film on Blu-ray and the theatrical version on DVD
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on both versions
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nathanael Marsh
•Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anne Billson
DISCS 1 & 2: THEATRICAL VERSION [BLU-RAY & DVD]
•High Definition digital transfer of the theatrical version
•Hickory Dickory Doc, a brand-new interview with actor John Lithgow
•The Man in My Life, an interview with actor Steven Bauer
•Have You Talked to the Others?, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
•Three Faces of Henry, an interview with actor Gregg Henry
•The Cat's in the Bag, an interview with actor Tom Bower
•A Little Too Late for That, an interview with actor Mel Harris
•Raising Pino, a brand-new interview with composer Pino Donaggio
•Father’s Day, a brand-new video essay about the multiple versions of Raising Cain by Chris Dumas, author of Un-American Psycho: Brian De Palma and the Political Invisible
•Theatrical Trailer
DISC 3: DIRECTOR’S CUT [LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE]
•Raising Cain: The Director's Cut, a De Palma-endorsed recreation of the film by Peet Belder Gelderblom, re-ordered as originally planned
•Changing Cain: Brian De Palma's Cult Classic Restored, an introduction by Gelderblom to the Director’s Cut
•Raising Cain Re-Cut, a video essay by Gelderblom on the origins and differences of the Director’s Cut

Ribs

#24 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Raising Cain is now in stock at the Arrow store

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Raising Cain is awful in every way a film can be bad. I watched the director's cut and the special feature on the differences. As suspected, nothing short of it being a different film could help matters. Such a tiring, broad movie, counterintuitively arranged and ludicrously heightened to the point of second-hand embarrassment at its winking "Isn't this just the worst" absurdity. I guess there's an audience for ultra-arch wanking, but no thanks