Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#551 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:36 pm

*mouse party

J M Powell

#552 Post by J M Powell » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:03 pm

The biggest surprise must surely be the silent films. For a major studio to fund 4k restorations of three less-than-famous silent features in 2015 is basically an act of charity. Universal just made my day.

captveg

#553 Post by captveg » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:05 pm

Jeff wrote:How in the world did Universal end up restoring One-Eyed Jacks, a 1961 Paramount release that's now in the public domain?
Per Mark Edward Heuck at HTF:

"To partially answer the "Why is Universal working on ONE-EYED JACKS" question...

The wall that has been hit multiple times on the lack of activity on the movie has been Paramount's curious insistence that they do not own it, despite having put it out on videocassette and laserdisc (the nicely letterboxed LD being the source for almost all subsequent PD DVD bootlegs that have followed). When pressed, they would claim that Universal owns it, but in turn when approached to book the film or for other confirmations, Universal often denied having it either.

After multiple conversations with a genial representative of the Brando estate, what I was able to piece together is that because of the debt incurred from self-financing the film through his Pennebaker Productions company, Brando effectively sold the company to Universal in exchange for a five picture contract in order to finish it. And Brando did make those five films (THE UGLY AMERICAN, BEDTIME STORY, THE APPALOOSA, A COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG, and THE NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY). As such, while I am not a lawyer or have had further contact with the estate, this would seem to be the logic: Paramount's distribution rights expired after so many years, and whereas it would have reverted to Brando himself, because of that bailout it went to Universal. At the time of our chat, though, he said Universal was still pleading ignorance, to which I suggested that they should follow the same path that William Friedkin did with SORCERER (which also involved a Paramount/Universal mutual denial): File a lawsuit against both studios, so that during the discovery process, they would be forced to dig for any and all paperwork to confirm ownership.

Now, I have no idea if that was done or not. But, the fact that this trustworthy source is saying that Universal is participating with Film Foundation on this project, again, reason suggests that the matter has been resolved."

Jeff

#554 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:34 am

captveg wrote:Per Mark Edward Heuck at HTF:
"To partially answer the "Why is Universal working on ONE-EYED JACKS" question..."
Interesting. Everyone's favorite ignorant old jerk, Jeffrey Wells, is a fan of the film and apparently spoke to powers that be at The Film Foundation this morning who confirmed the work and that it does belong to Universal:
[T]his morning Film Foundation managing director Jennifer Ahn confirmed that the One-Eyed Jacks project is a definite go.

Yes, Universal and not Paramount, the original distributor. I’ve assumed all along that Paramount had retained rights but apparently not. The rights issue turned out to be “much more complicated than it seems,” Ahn says, “but ultimately we figured out that they belonged to Universal.” The Q2 report divulged that Universal and the Film Foundation have “begun film element research and scan tests” with an assessment report to follow, and then it’ll be off to the races. If all goes well (and it should) the One-Eyed Jacks Bluray will probably be released sometime next year.

Ahn will work with Universal senior vp technical operations Michael Daruty.

I put quotes around “restoration” because I’m given to understand that the One-Eyed Jacks elements are probably in pretty good shape. Lang shot it on Eastmancolor 5250, which delivered an improvement over Eastmancolor 5248 because (a) it was “faster” and (b) didn’t fade as much. My understanding is that the original negative has been sitting in a professionally-maintained Paramount vault ever since, and so a “restoration” is probably not going to be necessary. The work will mainly involve fine-tuning — digital cleanup, a telecine transfer, stabilization, color correction, etc.
From there he goes on to pontificate about how he'd like for it to be released in his preferred "boxy" aspect ratio of 1.66, and who knows, he might accidentally be correct. Robert Harris seems to concur on HTF that it doesn't necessarily need a lot of work.

I'm sure after investing in the new transfer, Universal will want to release it themselves, but at least there is precedent for Criterion handling Universal films with prior PD releases (Charade and My Man Godfrey). A Criterion Blu-ray of One-Eyed Jacks would be a dream come true, and they could include the new feature-length doc, Listen to Me Marlon, and the Maysles' Meet Marlon Brando.

captveg

#555 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:44 pm

10/13/15

The Land Before Time (1988)

CSM126

#556 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:27 pm

captveg wrote:10/13/15

The Land Before Time (1988)
:shock:

A refreshing surprise after so many years of Uni treating this movie like shit (blatantly VHS-ripped DVD transfer).

captveg

#557 Post by captveg » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:04 pm

Also coming 10/13/15:

Hard Target (1993)
Sudden Death (1995)

These were previously released last year in the Van Damme collection.

FrauBlucher

#558 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:58 am

This from a post on Nitrateville. If you want to read more, and can possibly help, open link at bottom.
"Universal Studios Marx Brothers Blu-Ray Update!!! Help wanted!!!

[...]

I have had further dialog with the folks at Universal that are working on the restorations of the Paramount Marx films this morning and I can report the following:

1. YES, they are using the 35mm print of "Cocoanuts" that resides in the UCLA archives. So far, it is the best print known to exist. So expect a MUCH better quality Blu-Ray on that film.

2. They have located sound track elements for "Cocoanuts" that are BETTER than my original 16" soundtrack discs. So expect a much better SOUNDING Blu-Ray on that film as well as much better visuals.

3. I have given them the information that Joe Adamson supplied about the whereabouts of continuity scripts--what they do with that information is now up to them.

4. I asked about the missing sequences from "Duck Soup" with Zeppo dancing with Raquel Torres etc. They know NOTHING about this--but promised me that if I can find out who said this footage exists and they can speak to that person, they "would be forever in my debt" and really want to find it, and include it in the newly restored "Duck Soup", if it exists.
Contact info.

captveg

#559 Post by captveg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:49 pm

11/17/15

We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (1993)

Riding the coattails of Jurassic Park/World once again.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#560 Post by Drucker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:04 pm

jedgeco

#561 Post by jedgeco » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Doesn't have the "waxy" look of the prior Blu, but a pretty substantially different color scheme than the Criterion DVD.

Shitty-looking Universal menu design, as always!

John Doe

#562 Post by John Doe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:37 am

Coming in March:

Along Came Polly
*Batteries Not Included
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Howard the Duck
Xanadu

CSM126

#563 Post by CSM126 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:26 am

Won't lie, Xanadu getting a blu ray release makes me smile. A wonderfully goofy, shamelessly stupid and fun little movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#564 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm

Universal will be releasing all three of the Rock Hudson/Doris Day movies in a Blu-Ray box set in April!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#565 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:28 am

The Conplete Airport Collection is coming in June

captveg

#566 Post by captveg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:02 pm

6/14/16

Jaws 2 (1978)
Jaws 3-D (1983) (Includes 2D and 3D versions)
Jaws: The Revenge (1987)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#567 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Black Dog (Google it, then shake your head in bewilderment) is coming in June for some reason

cdnchris
Site Admin

#568 Post by cdnchris » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:29 pm

I remember that film so vividly (well, remember it coming out I should say) only because I had the most intense "who the fuck would see that!?" reaction to the trailer. Now I'm having a real "who the fuck would buy that!?" reaction to this. Guess the bargain bins need to stay filled. (I did see the film when it came to DVD. Don't remember a thing about it.)

CSM126

#569 Post by CSM126 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:Black Dog (Google it, then shake your head in bewilderment) is coming in June for some reason
"Hmmm, is that the one with Meat Loaf?"
*Googles it*
"Oh yeah.…Wait… I saw that. I saw that? What's it about? Really? Huh."

beamish13

#570 Post by beamish13 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Black Dog has developed a minor cult following over the years, but it's baffling that Universal is still sitting on titles like At Play in the Fields of the Lord, Closet Land, Play it as it Lays and Diary of a Mad Housewife

vidussoni

#571 Post by vidussoni » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:41 pm

There's no dirty dancing for Swayze here, but lots of dirty driving.
- Leonard Maltin

Mr Sausage

#572 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:36 pm

I know I saw that movie on tv when I was in high school only because I have this vivid memory of its explanation for its title, a moment that still comes back to me from time to time and makes me go "what?" all over again. I remember nothing else about the film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#573 Post by domino harvey » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:46 am

The Dream Team, the Great Outdoors, the Money Pit, and the 'Burbs will be coming on May 24th as Best Buy exclusives. If you for some reason feel compelled to buy the barebones Universal copy over Arrow's deluxe and loving treatment of the 'Burbs, let me know so I can ban you

cdnchris
Site Admin

#574 Post by cdnchris » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:36 am

Even if you're not region free it seems almost a certainty that Shout! will be releasing it. The only thing puzzling is they haven't yet. Can't say if it would be anywhere near as stacked as Arrow edition.

Plus my understanding is the transfer Universal used for Blu-ray releases in other countries was awful, and that will probably be the one used here and not Arrow's.

FrauBlucher

Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#575 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:Universal will be releasing all three of the Rock Hudson/Doris Day movies in a Blu-Ray box set in April!
As usual with Universal, a mixed bag when it comes to their remastered. Bluray.com