Víctor Erice

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
HerrSchreck

Re: Victor Erice

#51 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I can second zedz' sentiments regarding El Sur, and this is based on what appeared to be a television copy of the film from quite a time ago that I wateched years ago. The film positively hums with Erice's ability to infuse a piece of film with the always--and sweetly-- unsatisfied longings of memory. Perhaps no other filmmaker could re-inhabit the mind of a child from the vantage point of adulthood with such authenticity.

Erice is the Thomas Pynchon of the cinema. . . this film, his second, came a full decade after his first, and unfortunately, after what was ostensibly only a break for the holidays, the film remained uncompleted. This sense of the irrecoverable (that imbues the act of remembering one's past) and longing for what might have been, only curiously serves to counterpoint certain aspects of the film.

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#52 Post by "membrillo" » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Does FNAC historically take forever to ship? I placed my order on the 1st of February and all they have done besides charge me, is create a UPS shipping label. Is this common or should I be worried?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#53 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm

Packages to the USA that come from outside the USA (and are not sent via high price courier service) can be tied up in customs for a long time. I don't think regular mailed international packets are treated as very high priorities by Homeland Security (at least in some entry ports).

dad1153

#54 Post by dad1153 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Anthology Film Archives in NYC is showing Erice's "El Sur" (April 8th and 12th). Uhh, see you there HerrSchreck? :wink:

zone_resident

#55 Post by zone_resident » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 pm

For those interested, Spirit of the Beehive / El Sur (BluRay Set from Spain) is available at daaveedee.com ($51.99 + shipping).

rohmerin

#56 Post by rohmerin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:23 am

July 18th (what a day, the day our war started) all stores (if there's still one with this nightmare crisis we are living) will sell both El Sur and Colmena BR because FNAC has lost the exclusivity. Blu Ray for 9.99 euros each.

Stefan Andersson

#57 Post by Stefan Andersson » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:08 am

News in Portuguese about Erice´s contribution to a new Portuguese omnibus film, Historias del Cinema:
http://www.fotogramas.es/Noticias/Victo ... n-Portugal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently there will be an extended version also of the film.

A Sight & Sound review of a book about producer Élias Quérejeta mentions that he abandoned El Sur while the project was shooting. Interesting. Does anybody want to comment on this? Does the film seem rushed or abbreviated in some way?

rohmerin

#58 Post by rohmerin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Yes I know some part of the story.
El sur was a 3 hours movie. The 90 minutes that we don't have is because producers complained about the loooong way of shoting of Erice, that meant money. They were happy with the El sur cut (all ste in the North) and they didn't give more money for filming when they move (father and girl) to the South (remember that sur means south). What was about those never 90 minutes about? I don't know.

zedz

#59 Post by zedz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Amazing. And yet it's still a perfect movie. It's hard to imagine how it would have worked if "the south" was an actual place within the film. Even if the extant half were exactly the same, its meaning would be radically altered.

puxzkkx

#60 Post by puxzkkx » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:33 pm

I might be the only one who disagrees! I was craving for a 3-hour cut. The 90-minute cut left me dissatisfied, not in a pleasant way - I didn't feel, like some do, that I had the space to project a future onto this girl. What was there was gorgeous though, but it definitely feels 'incomplete' to me.

rohmerin

#61 Post by rohmerin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:12 pm

I have copied what I found about El sur cuts from two books. In my blog

http://rohmerin.blogspot.com.es/2012/06 ... d-cut.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly I don't own books about Querejeta or Erice for knowing more.

JPJ

#62 Post by JPJ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 am

rohmerin wrote:July 18th (what a day, the day our war started) all stores (if there's still one with this nightmare crisis we are living) will sell both El Sur and Colmena BR because FNAC has lost the exclusivity. Blu Ray for 9.99 euros each.
Ordered these from starscafe.com where they are only 6,97 euros each.Shipping rates(at least to europe)seem to be reasonable too, unlike at Dvdgo where they used to send everything by courier.

PNeski

#63 Post by PNeski » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 pm

been a while since I been on this forum so if this is old news sorry,El Sur is on Hula Plus's Criterion section and is a nice 16x9 transfer,also the interview in english which was on the
Japanese dvd Box set has been put on UTube

JPJ

#64 Post by JPJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:40 pm

JPJ wrote:
rohmerin wrote:July 18th (what a day, the day our war started) all stores (if there's still one with this nightmare crisis we are living) will sell both El Sur and Colmena BR because FNAC has lost the exclusivity. Blu Ray for 9.99 euros each.
Ordered these from starscafe.com where they are only 6,97 euros each.Shipping rates(at least to europe)seem to be reasonable too, unlike at Dvdgo where they used to send everything by courier.
Received these earlier this week and just took a quick look of El Sur.What a beautiful,natural looking 1,66 transfer.Images from Jose Luis Alcaine(who shot one of the best horror films of the seventies,Quién puede matar a un niño?/Who can kill a child?) are absolutely breathtaking.There is no extras but at this price I'm not complaining.Surely this is a candidate for Criterion or MOC?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#65 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Criterion has the rights to El Sur--it's currently on their Hulu channel.

rohmerin

#66 Post by rohmerin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:35 pm

He is filming two documentaries? shorts?
One in Portugal, an anthology film with Pedro Costa, Godard, Kaurismaki and Manoel de Oliveira
Another film with fragments of the cinema that influenced to him.

Article (in Spanish)

http://www.fotogramas.es/Noticias/Victo ... n-Portugal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DrSilence

#67 Post by DrSilence » Thu May 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Spanish FNAC seem to be posting a re-release of the Blu-ray and DVD of El Sur, on 5 June http://cine.fnac.es/a1012232/El-sur-For ... specificar

Does anyone know any more about this? I've been chasing El Sur since it went OOP...

Calvin

Re: Víctor Erice

#68 Post by Calvin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Finch wrote:Who's got Spirit of the Beehive in the UK? I know there was a DVD but I don't remember who put it out (Optimum, in which case it'd be with Studio Canal now?).
Optimum's release went OOP, so I presume it reverted to the Spanish rightsholder. But I'd be surprised if any UK label hadn't tried to pick it up since.

zedz

#69 Post by zedz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Calvin wrote:
rapta wrote:Does anyone have the DVD? I never managed to get hold of it. It might be a case where the materials aren't in particularly good shape for an HD transfer and would require restoration, in which case it would be a long-term project. But then that doesn't explain why nobody else has released it since, even on DVD. An odd one that's for sure...

Presumably everyone's waiting on somebody to restore it. Either that or some particularly fiddly rights issues.
A Spanish Blu-Ray was released a few years back. Caps-a-holic comparison with the Criterion DVD here. It looks like it needs tweaking (too dark?), but I'm not sure it requires an entirely new restoration.
My recollection of the Beehive / El Sur double Blu was that the Beehive transfer was noticeably older / weaker. I assumed it was the same source as the Criterion DVD.

That could maybe do with an updated / higher res transfer, but El Sur looked very nice and could respectably be issued as is.

A Blu of the exquisite Quince Tree Sun would make my heart skip a beat or three.

Calvin

#70 Post by Calvin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:03 am

El Sur is being released in UK cinemas by the BFI from September 16th, as selected by Pedro Almodovar to coincide with a season of his work at BFI Southbank

oh yeah

#71 Post by oh yeah » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:24 am

I've just watched El Sur for the first time on Hulu and am utterly blown away by the poetry, the light, the ambiguity and elisions and ultimately the truncated ending which somehow makes perfect thematic sense, this feeling of lack or longing, of missing a second half. What an absolutely beautiful and moving and mysterious film, more genuinely mysterious than most films ever attempt to be.

der_Artur

#72 Post by der_Artur » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:38 am

Shouldn't this be moved to the filmmakers board?

bottled spider

#73 Post by bottled spider » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Calvin wrote:El Sur is being released in UK cinemas by the BFI from September 16th, as selected by Pedro Almodovar to coincide with a season of his work at BFI Southbank
Thanks for the heads up. The film was worth the trip to London. As a backwoods colonial, I was wonderstruck by the civilized BFI Southbank theatres: bar present, concession stand absent. And I picked up Ozu's Early Summer from their shop for half what it's going for on Amazon.
oh yeah wrote:'ve just watched El Sur for the first time on Hulu and am utterly blown away by the poetry, the light, the ambiguity and elisions and ultimately the truncated ending which somehow makes perfect thematic sense, this feeling of lack or longing, of missing a second half. What an absolutely beautiful and moving and mysterious film, more genuinely mysterious than most films ever attempt to be.
Yes, I thought the most significant ellipsis of the film, the transition from the eight-year old to the fifteen-year old, was especially well managed. And like Renoir's A Day in the Country, the film in no way seems incomplete, so the funding difficulties that prevented it from being longer were perhaps serendipitous.

Stefan Andersson

#74 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:01 pm

http://cineparadiasterribles.blogspot.s ... tromo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief info in Spanish about a 1990s project begun and abandoned by Erice. Finally made by Fernando Trueba. Link to trailer on Yotube included.

L.A.

#75 Post by L.A. » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:31 am