It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:11 pm 

swo17 wrote:
Obviously this should be a 3-disc set where one disc has the feature viewable two ways (one with the entire triptych squeezed into the 1.78:1 frame and the other with just the center portion) and the other two discs contain the left and right sides of the triptych for those equipped to display it on three screens as intended (which, granted, is probably no one on Earth). This would leave Discs 2 and 3 with plenty of space for the requisite bounteous bonus material.

Or the majority of the film pillarboxed on all four sides (finally opening up at the sides for the grand finale) for the lucky few with 21:9 televisions/projectors?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:34 pm 

swo17 wrote:
Obviously this should be a 3-disc set where one disc has the feature viewable two ways (one with the entire triptych squeezed into the 1.78:1 frame and the other with just the center portion) and the other two discs contain the left and right sides of the triptych for those equipped to display it on three screens as intended (which, granted, is probably no one on Earth). This would leave Discs 2 and 3 with plenty of space for the requisite bounteous bonus material.
Actually if you have two friends with the same size laptop screens they could come over and you could have a viewing party no problem. From there you could move up to same size computer monitors and for the real ambitious, bring over your TV's/players.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:27 pm 

McCrutchy wrote:
My guess is that they'll do what Michael seems to be proposing. Present the film in 1.33:1 (in the 1.78:1 frame of a Blu-ray encode) until the triptych, and then present the whole triptych in 4:00:1, but inside the 1.78:1 frame.

This makes sense. It screws over people with square-ish TVs, but I guess that's almost nobody nowadays.

MichaelB wrote:
I assume across a thin band in the middle of the screen.

Very thin. I wonder how much of a detriment it's going to have to the impact of the climax, to have the image shrink to a certain extent.

Day one purchase regardless. This and OUT 1 in one year. \:D/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:03 am 

This might be a good format to release it on...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:05 pm 

swo17 wrote:

While this would be pretty absurd for a home video release, I would think this would be an option for museums et al that want to rent Napoleon for a screening. Bluray is often used for reperatory screenings now so this would make sense, without necessarily requiring as insane as a setup as the utterly grand screenings that have periodically run.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:37 pm 

I am thrilled that we are finally getting the long-awaited blu-ray/dvd release! I hope that it will be released/playable here in the USA; I can't help worrying about that, given all of the problems of opposition from Coppola in the past. Does anyone know?

David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:38 am 

david515mi wrote:
I am thrilled that we are finally getting the long-awaited blu-ray/dvd release! I hope that it will be released/playable here in the USA; I can't help worrying about that, given all of the problems of opposition from Coppola in the past. Does anyone know?

David

I would guess that the discs will be contractually locked to Region B (Blu-ray) and 2 (DVD).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:34 am 

That could hardly be more of a total certainty. It's a miracle that the BFI was even able to clear the UK video rights.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:48 pm 

McCrutchy wrote:
david515mi wrote:
David

I would guess that the discs will be contractually locked to Region B (Blu-ray) and 2 (DVD).

i have a dvd player that can play all regions of pal and ntsc. would it work here then (i hope it will).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:44 pm 

Was anybody at the presentation during the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, where someone was supposed to talk a bit about the Cinemathque Francaise/Coppola restoration?

http://www.silentfilm.org/amazing-tales ... tival-2016

I'm curious if any that brought any more news...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:23 am 

I was not present at the festival, but I understand that Georges Mourier (the man in charge of the CF restoration) gave a presentation on NAPOLEON and that there was a conversation between him and Paolo Cherchi Usai. I’m not sure if the event was filmed, but a transcript of the conversation/interview is available online here: http://www.telluridefilmfestival.org/assets/pdfs/NAPOLEON-handout-FINAL.pdf

There isn’t much in the way of news, but here is part of their exchange that mentions music and a schedule:

Quote:
PCU: When do you think you will present the new edition of NAPOLEON? Which musical score will you use?
GM: The restoration in 4K has begun, but this endeavor will take nearly two years, since it entails numerous unprecedented technical feats. So it is too early to announce a place and a date. I think it will be for 2017. Worldwide, primarily with the music score of Carmine Coppola. Francis Ford Coppola wants to honor and perpetuate the memory of his father Carmine, who had composed a score for the memorable screenings at Radio City Music Hall in 1981. However, a great work of adaptation will be necessary, as well as respecting certain tunes that Gance had literally noted when he composed his original montage, and that we think we have finally found.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:12 pm 

BFI just posted a good rundown on the history of this film's creation, through it's butchering to the multiple restorations. It'll be interesting to see how next year's Cinematheque française restoration from different materials will compare, but it's too bad it will only feature Carmine Coppola's maligned score.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:33 pm 

Seeing the history of it ... makes me think Stanley would have ended up only *less* crazy compared to Abel Gance had he realised his own take of Napoleon ;) =D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:00 am 

hearthesilence wrote:
BFI just posted a good rundown on the history of this film's creation, through it's butchering to the multiple restorations. It'll be interesting to see how next year's Cinematheque française restoration from different materials will compare, but it's too bad it will only feature Carmine Coppola's maligned score.

Certainly is an amazing history!

Kevin Brownlow gave a fascinating talk a week or so ago at the BFI about his restoration and was somewhat pessimistic about whether the CF had even started on a restoration-or found any of the missing material that they had talked about!

We shall see of course but interesting to note that the CF are thanked on the BFI set for supplying some material for the triptych.

Not had the time to watch anything of it yet though as I only got in yesterday!

I am thoroughly hooked though-I was at the performance with orchestra at the RFH a few weeks ago and i was seated a long way back and the screen seemed small and had a shadow across the bottom. I have now decided to go to one of the screenings at the BFI over Christmas-all for that glorious moment when the triptych appears-a spine tingling moment unsurpassed in cinema.

Last edited by filmyfan on Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:01 am 

When I first read this, I was thinking CF = Criterion Forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12