Suicide Squad / Birds of Prey Films (Ayer/Yan/Gunn, 2016-2021)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Suicide Squad (David Ayer, 2016)

#26 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:20 pm

domino harvey wrote:Gross. Can we go back to being respectable in this thread and resume ogling Robbie?

Jeff

#27 Post by Jeff » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:Gross. Can we go back to being respectable in this thread and resume ogling Robbie?

hollis

#28 Post by hollis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Count me among those excited for this one. The Joker picture released a few months back turned me off--does he really need "damaged" tattooed on his forehead? Who doesn't already know the Joker is crazy?--but I think the trailer makes clear they're going for something far more campy and comic book-y than Nolan's trilogy. And after The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel I definitely welcome that.

David Ayer isn't popular film's most exciting creative genius, but he's clearly solid as hell. Fury was way more enjoyable than I had anticipated; a sturdy script, good performances, and excellent battle scenes. Same goes for Training Day. So this is one's definitely on my list.

After months of fumbling on Warner Brothers' part, it looks like they just might have gotten things in line and will make a genuine rival to Marvel's domination of superhero multiplex entertainment. We'll see, but I hope so.

CSM126

#29 Post by CSM126 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:57 pm

They lost me with that dreadful cover of I Started A Joke. As if it's supposed to sound profound or something. It's almost as bad as the dirge-like cover of California Dreaming in the San Andreas trailer, or the laughable, also dirge-like, cover of Fleetwood Mac's Landslide in the Suffragette trailer. This trend needs to screw off.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the Suicide Squad comics, so I'm not the target audience but man does this look unappealing. I'm so tired of these gray-colored dreary comic book movies with the faux-grittiness crap. Just give me something silly and fun, not this pseudo-heavy nonsense. After suffering through Nolan's terrible Batman trilogy - featuring the worst Joker imaginable - I just want something fun along the lines of Mark Hamill's animated Joker but it looks like we're getting Hot Topic douche Joker. I hope I'm wrong, but just look at that thing. Good grief.

Ok, Margot Robbie's pleasant to look at, so there's my nice comment.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#30 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:24 pm

CSM126 wrote:After suffering through Nolan's terrible Batman trilogy - featuring the worst Joker imaginable
Could you please let me know how hot your take is going to be before I try to touch it and burn myself? Thanks.

dx23

Re: Comic Books on Film

#31 Post by dx23 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:37 pm

captveg wrote:
dx23 wrote:Will Smith being Will Smith instead of Deadshot
Deadshot isn't exactly the most defined personality in the DC world. A little Will Smith may make a rather blank canvas be a little more attractive to general audiences.
Actually, both Deadshot and the Suicide Squad have been pretty well developed in the DC world. Floyd Lawton has always been portrayed as a cocky villain who has no concerns for human life and that is very good at his job of being a mercenary hitman. The Suicide Squad concept is about an off the record government agency putting together a group of super-villains to protect the world from the Justice League/superhero community. Like, I've mentioned before, the episode Task Force X perfectly shows what the Squad is for and how casualties are simply part of the mission. Will Smith can act cocky, but as it was mentioned before in this thread, his line delivery in the trailer made him sound like the same character from Independence Day or Bad Boys.

captveg

#32 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:40 pm

I just don't feel a cocky hit man is much of a developed personality, even in the established comics. The character has more room for interpretation than Harley, the latter who has a rather specific psychology to her. At least IMO.

But Will Smith the superstar persona has never distracted me in his films, personally, either, so...

feihong

#33 Post by feihong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:37 am

I usually feel like the DC stuff is aimed at someone who is not me, in general. Comic books, movies, everything. Though I do have a little Superdeformed Batman toy on a shelf somewhere. It's really cute and I'm not made of stone.

This trailer gives me the same sensation as other DC properties. I don't see anything much to like. This and the Batman vs. Superman trailer both have a production design and a cinematography very like very dark videogames. I wonder if they are doing that on purpose, to distinguish their material from Marvel? It doesn't make me excited for the movie. I was not moved by Margot Robbie in Wolf of Wall Street. Here she actually looks more sympathetic to me, though I guess since she plays a psychopath I shouldn't get my hopes up. And like CSM126 I am sick to death of the trend where they run the trailer with a slow song by a solo singer. It has not worked for me even once. I thought it was the worst thing about the Age of Ultron trailers.

I wonder if this is what it feels like to be someone going into the movie with no comic background? For the Marvel stuff I have a lot of background interest, and like many comic fans, I'm thrilled when a comic adaptation doesn't suck. But this is a property I have no comic book experience with beforehand. I feel very disoriented by what I see in the trailer. It's kind of a new experience for me.

Zot!

#34 Post by Zot! » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:59 pm

feihong wrote:And like CSM126 I am sick to death of the trend where they run the trailer with a slow song by a solo singer. It has not worked for me even once.
I don't think it was used in the trailer, but the Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazlewood rendition of My Baby Shot Me Down from Kill Bill, I think was one of Tarantino's more inspired needle drops, in a strong field. It helps that the song is gorgeous and inspired to begin with.

feihong

#35 Post by feihong » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:55 am

That was cool. But as I recall, that was played during the opening credits of Kill Bill. I'm not objecting to the use of that kind of music in movies in general––just its use in recent trailers, like Suicide Squad, San Andreas, Age of Ultron and stuff––and the particular way they choose to use those songs. I don't think it provides as much atmosphere and context as these trailer-editors think it does.

Ribs

#37 Post by Ribs » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Ah neat, so they're not being subtle about the whole literally-only-greenlit-because-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-succesful thing.

Luke M

#38 Post by Luke M » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:47 pm

I still like Margot Robbie but not much else.

This, Deadpool, Superman/Batman, new X-Men, and the new Captain America are all so incredibly uninspiring.

At least there's Daredevil.

SpiderBaby

#39 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:36 am

I thought when Margot was hired, everyone assumed that 'The Wolf of Wall Street' accent was coming too (which matched perfectly with the signature Harley voice from the 90s cartoon). Weird they didn't go that route.

thirtyframesasecond

#40 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:48 am

I saw the Deadpool trailer the other day. I don't like Ryan Reynolds anyway but when he's playing a smug wisecracking asshat?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:27 pm

Warners apparently thinks making life size dolls of popular comic characters is a good idea

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#42 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:33 pm

Hmmmm, I wonder why they chose this one?

](*,)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Anyone who buys this has officially given up

matrixschmatrix

#44 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Imagine having that shipped to your home

Zot!

#45 Post by Zot! » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:40 pm

But mom, it's not a prostitute, it's Batmans nemesis, Harley Quinn. No mom, it's not a "comic" it's a graphic novel, it's literature for gods sake!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#46 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:42 pm

The fine print: Purchase of this item will result in your immediate placement on the TSC's terrorist watchlist. And rightfully so.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#47 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Zot! wrote:But mom, it's not a prostitute, it's Batmans nemesis, Harley Quinn. No mom, it's not a "comic" it's a graphic novel, it's literature for gods sake!
Mom, could you have this listed under your homeowner's insurance in case the basement floods again?

At least the listing doesn't mention anything about "inputs" or include cleaning instructions.

matrixschmatrix

#48 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Maybe it's life size so you can compare your bodily proportions to the statue's more accurately and really nail down the ole dysmorphia

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#49 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Margot Robbie is 5' 6", so those are some boots!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#50 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:52 pm

If that statue looked like Margot Robbie, WB might actually sell some