BD 160 Varieté

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

BD 160 Varieté

#1 Post by Drucker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:07 am

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Forthcoming: Varieté

#2 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:01 am

Let's hope they've learned from this thread.

TMDaines

#3 Post by TMDaines » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:22 am

Oh yes! Absolutely fantastic news. They surely will be providing an alternate score.

I see your dog is equally ecstatic at this news, Drucker.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#4 Post by Drucker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 am

My dog sat quietly and attentively as we watched Eros + Massacre over the weekend. Variete should be a cinch!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:18 am

No one ever matches how I picture them in my head, I envisioned Drucker's dog completely different than that.

Tommaso

#6 Post by Tommaso » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Drucker wrote:My dog sat quietly and attentively as we watched Eros + Massacre over the weekend. Variete should be a cinch!
Wait for him howling along with that Tiger Lillies singer should things go wrong with this release...

rapta

Forthcoming: Varieté

#7 Post by rapta » Thu May 26, 2016 7:18 am

The elaborate new restoration of the silent classic by Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation carried out in cooperation with the Austrian Film Archive and the NFP media rights, as featured at Berlinale 2015 but with a new score. Emil Jannings plays a former trapeze artist who runs a seedy carnival with his wife (Maly Delscaft) and child but longs for his former life in the circus. Entranced by a beautiful stranger (Lya De Putti), he leaves his family behind and develops a new and dangerous trapeze number, which ultimately leads to disaster. Featuring virtuoso camera-work for the trapeze sequences, and stunning performances from the whole cast, Varieté (also known as Jealousy) is a stunning piece of silent cinema.

Confirmed here: https://sites.google.com/site/scalarama ... ete-jinnah" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tommaso

#8 Post by Tommaso » Thu May 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks for the link. But "Blu ray only"?! Always assuming that they give us another score, otherwise I don't care at all, anyway.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#9 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri May 27, 2016 4:22 am

I think most people would take the Speaking Clock over the Tiger Lilies

lubitsch

#10 Post by lubitsch » Fri May 27, 2016 6:01 am

Tommaso wrote:Thanks for the link. But "Blu ray only"?! Always assuming that they give us another score, otherwise I don't care at all, anyway.
Yes, there are lots of people in germany who didn't buy the abominable German release and are waiting for the MoC release. So why Blu only? Couldn't you please make this a dual format release?

antnield

#11 Post by antnield » Fri May 27, 2016 6:08 am

lubitsch wrote:So why Blu only? Couldn't you please make this a dual format release?
The link relates to potential screenings as part of Scalarama - i.e., if anyone wishes to screen the film in September it'll be from a Blu-ray rather than 35mm or DCP - and has no bearing on the home video release.

TMDaines

#12 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 27, 2016 7:06 am

There's still people refusing to buy a Blu-ray player? I get not wanting to upgrade your entire collection, but Blu-ray is backwards-compatible with DVD, so I cannot understand why people, film/home-video enthusiasts even, do not make the transition.

Tommaso

#13 Post by Tommaso » Fri May 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info, antnield!
TMDaines wrote:There's still people refusing to buy a Blu-ray player? I get not wanting to upgrade your entire collection, but Blu-ray is backwards-compatible with DVD, so I cannot understand why people, film/home-video enthusiasts even, do not make the transition.
Because my old 16:9 TUBE is easily superior to any affordable flatscreen TV or computer monitor when it comes to playing age-old silents from dubious sources and similar such material. And it looks really fine with dvds, too (better than any flatscreen of the same size and pricepoint I've seen when playing SD material). So I'll keep it as long as it lasts. It just isn't HD compatible and has no HDMI input, so a blu player isn't any use to me at the moment, and most blu players nowadays don't even have analogue audio outputs, which I'd also need for connecting it to my old analogue stereo amplifier (and not just when it comes to playing opera dvds...) ;) So dual-format is the best choice for me at the moment.

rapta

#14 Post by rapta » Fri May 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Tommaso wrote:Thanks for the info, antnield!
TMDaines wrote:There's still people refusing to buy a Blu-ray player? I get not wanting to upgrade your entire collection, but Blu-ray is backwards-compatible with DVD, so I cannot understand why people, film/home-video enthusiasts even, do not make the transition.
Because my old 16:9 TUBE is easily superior to any affordable flatscreen TV or computer monitor when it comes to playing age-old silents from dubious sources and similar such material. And it looks really fine with dvds, too (better than any flatscreen of the same size and pricepoint I've seen when playing SD material). So I'll keep it as long as it lasts. It just isn't HD compatible and has no HDMI input, so a blu player isn't any use to me at the moment, and most blu players nowadays don't even have analogue audio outputs, which I'd also need for connecting it to my old analogue stereo amplifier (and not just when it comes to playing opera dvds...) ;) So dual-format is the best choice for me at the moment.
It may well be Dual Format in the end, as most of the silent films released on MoC Blu-ray have been. And as others have already said, those details are for screening purposes only - presumably there's a DVD available too, but obviously people screening a film to the public would want the best possible PQ and AQ, and would therefore opt for Blu-ray over DVD.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#15 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun May 29, 2016 6:06 am

Unless I have missed it it seems there is no confirmation as to the soundtrack. If this is still up for grabs I would love this to be a chance for Christine Ott to be in the frame. A composer in her own right she has added piano and ondes martenot to the likes of Radiohead, Tindersticks' (Claire Denis scores) and worked long term with Yann Tiersen.
She has done live concerts for showings of Murnau, Flaherty and Reininger which have snippets available on Youtube. Her sensibilities are so much more in keeping with the passions and aerial ballet of Varieté than the ramshackle Katzenjammer of Tiger Lilies. So here's hoping.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:25 pm

Coming January 23rd

Cronenfly

#17 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Man, those clips scored by the Tiger Lilies linked in the other thread are hilarious. Obviously not appropriate to this, or indeed any, film, but I kind of hope MoC includes it as a goof (along with a proper new score, of course).

lubitsch

#18 Post by lubitsch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Cronenfly wrote:Man, those clips scored by the Tiger Lilies linked in the other thread are hilarious. Obviously not appropriate to this, or indeed any, film, but I kind of hope MoC includes it as a goof (along with a proper new score, of course).
As you can read in the Youtube trailer description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ46TEBYFA0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there's going to be a Stephen Horne piano music and this immortal piece of musical c***.

Werdegast

Re: BD 160 Varieté

#19 Post by Werdegast » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:50 pm

The cover has been revealed:

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#20 Post by Drucker » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Superb cover.

David Gallagher

#21 Post by David Gallagher » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:59 am

I don't think it's been mentioned but if you order this and Man From Laramie in the same order at Eureka before the end of the month, they're £25 for the pair.

They're rather disparate films and for some they won't both appeal yet as someone who would rank James Stewart and Emil Jannings very highly in the pantheon of great actors, and who wants to support Eureka in releasing more silents and westerns - I'm on board.

JimmyTango

#22 Post by JimmyTango » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:21 am

Is this the full 101 minute version?

Tommaso

#23 Post by Tommaso » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:41 am

It's actually even a bit more complete than the 101 minute version, however it runs only 95 minutes due to faster playback speed. Too fast, I'd argue, in quite a few scenes (whereas the old TV version at 101 minutes, and slightly less complete, looks pitch-perfect to me in this respect). Apart from this, the new resto of course looks wonderful, but fans that have the old version - never officially released anywhere, before you ask - might want to keep it for comparison. Alternatively, if you watch on the computer, I'd suggest slowing down the film a little in VLC (even though this would also affect Stephen Horne's music, of course...).

JimmyTango

#24 Post by JimmyTango » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks, looking forward to this.

otis

#25 Post by otis » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:34 pm