Steven Soderbergh

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
hearthesilence

Re: Steven Soderbergh

#151 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Kirkinson wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he's just doing these edits for his own edification and releasing them to the public because, he figures, why not?
I figured this too. More than fan edits, it's like music fans who re-do or salvage "lost" albums and post the results on the web (like completing SMiLE or trying to make a Let It Be that's faithful to the band's original intentions). Even if sharing was impossible, fans would still be doing these sort of projects for themselves.

Jack Phillips

#152 Post by Jack Phillips » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:46 pm

Am I imagining things, or is the PQ of the Soderbergh edit better than anything currently available on home video?

ivuernis

#153 Post by ivuernis » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:56 am

Does anybody know anything about if/when there'll be a Blu-ray release of Solaris? As far as I can tell almost everything else he's done has been released on Blu-ray. The Limey is the only other one I can think of right now that's also not on BD.

willoneill

#154 Post by willoneill » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:06 am

ivuernis wrote:Does anybody know anything about if/when there'll be a Blu-ray release of Solaris? As far as I can tell almost everything else he's done has been released on Blu-ray. The Limey is the only other one I can think of right now that's also not on BD.
Kafka, Schizopolis, and The Good German are all unavailable on BD (as far as I know)

willoneill

#155 Post by willoneill » Fri May 13, 2016 12:57 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Wonder what's going to happen to The Knick if Soderbergh is making movies again, and has to work that shooting schedule around the show? That's assuming Cinemax accepts the 4 year renewal proposal.
I was of the understanding that he wouldn't be directing the show anymore. [Caution, spoilers]

hearthesilence

#158 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Jesus, why does the press feel the need to indulge in ridiculous hyperbole every time Soderbergh shifts gears with his career?

diamonds

#159 Post by diamonds » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:34 pm

For another installment of wacky Soderbergh headlines: Steven Soderbergh Says He’s Done Directing Studio Movies and Wants to Only Shoot on iPhones — Sundance 2018.
The filmmaker has experimented with digital cinematography for years, going back to 2002’s “Full Frontal,” but found that the iPhone offered unparalleled quality. “People forget, this is a 4k capture,” said Soderbergh, who was long a passionate advocate for the high-end RED cameras. “I’ve seen it 40 feet tall. It looks like velvet. This is a gamechanger to me.”

"There’s a philosophical obstacle a lot of people have about the size of the capture device. I don’t have that problem. I look at this as potentially one of the most liberating experiences that I’ve ever had as a filmmaker, and that I continue having. The gets that I felt moment to moment were so significant that this is, to me, a new chapter."
It sounds like this has sort of been a long time coming; last year in a Logan Lucky interview expressed the following:
I want everything smaller and lighter so I can put the lens anywhere I want as fast as possible. It’s still frustrating to try to get a camera somewhere and if it’s above someone you have to secure it so if it falls it’s not going to hurt somebody. I want a camera that you can just Velcro to the wall.
The iPhone would seem to satisfy those wants. His praise for the image quality makes has me quite excited to see how Unsane turns out. There's also some stuff in the article worth checking out about his different attempts to democratize filmmaking with experimental economic and release models.

Bumstead

#160 Post by Bumstead » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Also note: Soderbergh (like Fincher) supports RED, and may be surreptitiously laying the groundwork for RED's upcoming Hydrogen "phone". DPs, especially those in commercials, are already dealing with small cameras but not without artistic compromise (whatever the hell that means!). Despite what Soderbergh might say, higher resolution is not equal to "quality" cinematography.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#162 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Soderbergh will executive produce Gregg Araki's new TV show for Starz
“If this isn’t the craziest thing I’ve ever read, it’s tied for first,” said Soderbergh. “We will not be responsible for people’s heads splitting in half when they see it.”

dda1996a

#163 Post by dda1996a » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:17 pm

I only really like Mysterious Skin but I'm rather partial to Nowhere and Kaboom and even when he is bad there's usually something I like about Araki's film. This sounds a lot like an updated version of Kaboom as well.
Is James Duvall old enough to play someone's father now?

John Cope

#164 Post by John Cope » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Doom Generation remains his masterpiece. It may be time for interested parties to take another look at this, too.

Hopscotch

#165 Post by Hopscotch » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:06 pm

The "Teenage Apocalypse" trilogy is (mostly) fantastic. I can't wait to see this.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#166 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:36 am

Watched Pu-239, written and directed by longtime Soderbergh collaborator Scott Z Burns and executive produced by Soderbergh. The story of Russian nuclear plant worker Paddy Constantine, who is exposed to massive radiation and decides to smuggle a small quantity of weapons-grade plutonium out to sell so his family will be provided for after he dies. Unfortunately he can't seem to find any interested buyers other than the desperate Oscar Isaac as a young hustler facing his own ticking clock to doom. For the first half of the film the action alternates between the mopeyness of the Constantine storyline and the broad comedy of the Isaac portions, til both meet and we get the usual buddy movie bonding in miniature as Isaac proves time and again that one shouldn't do business with Russian criminals. The movie's finale is a quick series of downbeat notes capped with two bizarrely miscalculated sequences of audience wish fulfillment, one of which is so tasteless it's a shock when Burns actually pulls his punch in the end by not showing
SpoilerShow
the full effects of snorting weapons-grade plutonium like cocaine
since once has gone that far, might as well have the courage of your convictions and go all in. Other than Isaac showing tremendous promise in an early role, there's not much else here, and the ultimate wheelspinning of it all leaves little more than a shrug at best.

whaleallright

#168 Post by whaleallright » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:28 pm

At this point not much would surprise me from this guy. "Steven Soderbergh to direct sequel to Passion of Joan of Arc." "Steven Soderbergh shoots sci-fi Western epic in a storage container in six days." "Steven Soderbergh has re-edited Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? so that all the dialogue is adverbs."

diamonds

#169 Post by diamonds » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Somewhat throwaway line in this article says Soderbergh is preparing a six-part series with regular collaborator Lem Dobbs.

flyonthewall2983

#170 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:27 pm

whaleallright wrote:At this point not much would surprise me from this guy. "Steven Soderbergh to direct sequel to Passion of Joan of Arc." "Steven Soderbergh shoots sci-fi Western epic in a storage container in six days." "Steven Soderbergh has re-edited Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? so that all the dialogue is adverbs."
Steamed Hams: The Musical, a live-action adaptation of this

whaleallright

#171 Post by whaleallright » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:59 pm

diamonds wrote:Somewhat throwaway line in this article says Soderbergh is preparing a six-part series with regular collaborator Lem Dobbs.
Not regular enough! They've only completed one project together since The Limey 19 (!) years ago. (I count the fabulously contentious commentary track for the Limey DVD among Soderbergh's major works.) I'm really looking forward to this, whatever it turns out to be.

diamonds

#172 Post by diamonds » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Some updates on Soderbergh's upcoming projects.

On the miniseries with Dobbs:
Dobbs and Soderbergh have been quietly been working on the project for a while now. It’s based on the life of Emin Pasha, a 19th-century adventurer/renaissance man who reinvented himself several times over. A German Jewish physician, naturalist, linguist, African explorer and colonial governor of Equatoria (a province of Egypt), Pasha lead an extraordinary life and according to Encyclopedia Britannica “contributed vastly to the knowledge of African geography, natural history, ethnology, and languages.”

Titled “Emin Pasha,” for now... the project, we’re told, is probably far off, so don’t put it on the calendar just yet.
The article also reveals that the Panama Papers film is now titled The Laundromat, set to shoot in the fall with a supposedly "powerhouse" cast.

whaleallright

#173 Post by whaleallright » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Dobbs and Soderbergh have been quietly been working on the project for a while now. It’s based on the life of Emin Pasha, a 19th-century adventurer/renaissance man who reinvented himself several times over. A German Jewish physician, naturalist, linguist, African explorer and colonial governor of Equatoria (a province of Egypt), Pasha lead an extraordinary life and according to Encyclopedia Britannica “contributed vastly to the knowledge of African geography, natural history, ethnology, and languages.”
this sounds like a very ambitious project, so I'm guessing it will take Soderbergh at least seven weeks to shoot and edit.

flyonthewall2983

#175 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Has he ever talked about wanting to do a horror movie?