Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Identify This Movie

#1026 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:51 pm

Mr. Deltoid wrote:This is in reply to hearthesilence a few posts up.

What you describe (black man getting shot by white woman emerging from court) happens in Frank LaLoggia's 1988 movie The Lady in White.

Here's the YouTube link. The scene in question starts at the 5.30 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPqDUGJlJY8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes! I remember seeing that now, thanks so much!

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#1027 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:56 am

bottled spider wrote:I'm trying to remember which film has a scene in which a dog wanders into a church service, causing a small commotion among the children present. I think it's Olmi's I Fidanzati.
Yes, it's I Fidanzati. I just happened to watch that again last night.

bottled spider

#1028 Post by bottled spider » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:24 am

That was quick. Thanks. The scene stuck in my mind for whatever reason, and I've had a hankering to watch it again, but I wasn't positive which movie it was from.

Lemmy Caution

#1029 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:04 pm

There's a film, probably from the 70's, in which I have a pretty good recollection of an early/opening scene and then don't recall a thing about it.

There's a young guy, late teens I believe, who gets released from a mental institution.
I think it's just a furlough, though maybe he's out for good.
They give him some money and instructions and he's off (on a bus most likely).

He stops in a roadside diner, orders some food and pays with a large bill.
The waitress says, "Don't you have anything smaller?"
The lad pulls out his money, lines the bills up against each other and says, "No, they're all the same size."
Waitress (laughing): "You're too much. Where have you been all my life?"
Boy (seriously): "A mental institution".

I'm pretty sure the kid was named Larry.
I probably saw this circa 1975 or so.
Ring any bells?
Not sure why that scene has stuck with me for 40 years ...

The Fanciful Norwegian

#1030 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:36 pm

That would be, well, Larry, a 1974 TV movie with Frederic Forrest and Tyne Daly. Here's the diner scene (the rest is on Youtube as well).

Lemmy Caution

#1031 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:18 am

Great, thanks. I started thinking it might've been a TV movie.
So very 70's. It's not bad, but editing seems rather choppy/abrupt.

I thought the waitress got flirty with Larry, but instead she just liked his unusually large tip.
I do like how jaded/sour she appears at first.

The monetary values pre-late-70's inflation are noteworthy. Larry tries to pay for his coffee with a $5 bill and the waitress asks if he has something smaller, and says they don't have change (for a $5!). While the parking meters take pennies! 12 minutes for a penny, the full hour for a nickel.

I remembered the name of the character, because that's my brother's name, and we teased him for having the same name as the mentally impaired guy.

HerrSchreck

#1032 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:37 am

Lemmy Caution wrote:I thought the waitress got flirty with Larry, but instead she just liked his unusually large tip.
FOSSILIZED JOKE DEPT/
Q: What did the leper say to the prostitute?
A: Keep the tip.

(Cue machine gun fire and crumpling sound)

L.A.

#1033 Post by L.A. » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:29 am

A person disguised as a janitor goes to someone's office and puts some liquid into a light bulb. Afterwards someone turns on the lamp and it explodes. 80s film I think, what was it again?

Kauno

#1034 Post by Kauno » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:52 pm

There is an exploding lightbulb in various movies, could it be The Longest Yard (1974)?

L.A.

#1035 Post by L.A. » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:33 am

Kauno wrote:There is an exploding lightbulb in various movies, could it be The Longest Yard (1974)?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually, it has been identified now and this is the film in question: The Soldier (James Glickenhaus, 1982).

Randall Maysin

#1036 Post by Randall Maysin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Uh, I'm not sure if this is appropriate to this thread, but does anyone know where I can find a complete soundtrack listing for Robert Altman's Thieves Like Us? There isn't one on imdb, and I can't seem to find one anywhere else either. So I guess this is a last resort. Many thanks if you can help me with this at all.

Ashirg

#1037 Post by Ashirg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Some of soundtrack listings are identified in table 3.2 starting on page 84 of this book - Gayle Sherwood Magee's Robert Altmans Soundtracks: Film, Music, and Sound from M*A*S*H to A Prairie Home Companion

Randall Maysin

#1038 Post by Randall Maysin » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Great, thanks!

GTO

#1039 Post by GTO » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:21 pm

I would appreciate any help in finding out the name of the first non-English language film I ever saw. It was either Japanese or Chinese and released in the early 80s, no later than 1984. It's set in a small village in the 19th century. There's an early scene of a brother and sister pissing in the snow, which I remember because that's how I found out women can, apparently, pee standing up. Either to prevent bad luck or as an act of atonement, the female lead has to have sex with every guy in the village. When it's the oldest guy's turn, he offers a prayer of thanksgiving to her vagina, which annoys her. There's also a guy who has sex with a horse, offscreen.

Anybody have a clue?

TMDaines

#1040 Post by TMDaines » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:29 pm

So that's what got you hooked on world cinema then!

GTO

#1041 Post by GTO » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:34 pm

TMDaines wrote:So that's what got you hooked on world cinema then!
Unfortunately, it was many years between that one and my 2nd non-English language movie. Which I'm now realizing I can't remember what the 2nd one was. Must have been Seven Samurai or Yojimbo, possibly Seventh Seal.

AlfredKralik

#1042 Post by AlfredKralik » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:26 pm

A late sixties/early seventies western in which a man is crucified on a wagon wheel.

Can anyone identify this film?

Thanks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1043 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Delmer Daves' the Last Wagon has Richard Widmark tied up in such a fashion for a good twenty minutes near the start of the film

AlfredKralik

#1044 Post by AlfredKralik » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:Delmer Daves' the Last Wagon has Richard Widmark tied up in such a fashion for a good twenty minutes near the start of the film
Thanks. An interesting possibility (if it was re-released in the US 15 years after its original release date), but my memory has the guy nailed to the wheel, not tied-up like Widmark.

antnield

#1045 Post by antnield » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Keoma features a wagon-wheel crucifixion.

AlfredKralik

#1046 Post by AlfredKralik » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:13 pm

antnield wrote:Keoma features a wagon-wheel crucifixion.
Thanks. If only it were released five or so years earlier.

Edit: I watched the scene on Youtube. That's not it.

knives

#1047 Post by knives » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:58 pm

GTO wrote:I would appreciate any help in finding out the name of the first non-English language film I ever saw. It was either Japanese or Chinese and released in the early 80s, no later than 1984. It's set in a small village in the 19th century. There's an early scene of a brother and sister pissing in the snow, which I remember because that's how I found out women can, apparently, pee standing up. Either to prevent bad luck or as an act of atonement, the female lead has to have sex with every guy in the village. When it's the oldest guy's turn, he offers a prayer of thanksgiving to her vagina, which annoys her. There's also a guy who has sex with a horse, offscreen.

Anybody have a clue?
A lot of that sounds like Imamura's The Ballad of Narayama which also is about the right release period. It doesn't have the peeing scene, but the sex sequence including prayer are major sequences even though they happen to secondary characters.

jorencain

#1048 Post by jorencain » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:11 pm

Yes, I was going to say "Narayama" as well. I jut watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. I think it DOES have the peeing in the snow; right at the beginning, after the overheard shots of the village.

GTO

#1049 Post by GTO » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:29 am

Thanks! You guys are right! Now that I've read about it I remember the main plot completely. And it just so happens I watched Insect Woman and Pigs and Battleships for the first time last week. Which shouldn't surprise me - these coincidences keep happening the more movies I watch.

MaxBercovicz

#1050 Post by MaxBercovicz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:41 pm

Help needed. Trying to recall a film, but I'm light on details.

I think it was released in the 80s, but could have possibly been late 70s or early 90s. It was set in the 1950s or 60s in New York City, predominately Manhattan. It focused on young adults, roughly college age or late high school. There may have been one or two main characters, but there was a big group of friends. As I think back it reminds me almost of a more upper class version of Diner set in NYC instead of Baltimore.

I remember one scene in particular where it's just the group of friends at an apartment party. Guys in suits, girls in dresses. Lots of dialogue, talking about life, love, sex, philosophy, etc. And lots of cigarette smoking. There may have been dancing and stuff earlier in the night but the party goes long and its just people slumped in chairs or stretched on the sofa talking.

Please throw out any suggestions even if they don't match up perfectly with my description. I could be combing movies/memories.