Manos: The Hands of Fate (Harold P. Warren, 1966)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
MichaelB

Re: Manos: The Hands of Fate (Harold P. Warren, 1966)

#101 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Mondo Digital:
Obviously, you need this.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#102 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:58 pm

Blu-ray looks great. In one final childish move, after telling me the end credits were already locked, I was removed from the list of donors. I wish this clown nothing but the worst now that his 5 minutes of fame have come and gone.

Minkin

#103 Post by Minkin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Blu-ray.com
Disappointingly, the film's resurrection on "Mystery Science Theater 3000" is bizarrely downplayed, offered only a moment of acknowledgement despite being the very reason why audiences have interest in "Manos" to begin with. It's a missed opportunity.

When did the Kickstarter people receive their copy? It worked out from my angle: Didn't donate, buy it on Amazon for $15 (the price Mfunk joked about several years ago), and it came out probably around the same time the kickstarter people got theirs. It is absurd that this thing was 3 years past the due date. It sounds like the restoration was completed several years ago as well. Oh well, glad to buy a third copy of the film - and one where you can actually tell whats happening!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#104 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Like a week or two ago. I bought it on Amazon too. At some point during this fiasco I reached out to suggest a theater by Philadelphia (the Colonial, as featured in The Blob) that would love to screen the restoration, and screens a lot of MST3K episodes with Joel Hodgson sometimes in attendance. I was told that they didn't want to associate this restoration with MST3K whatsoever. If my eyes could've rolled out of my head, they would've.

kidc85

#105 Post by kidc85 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:04 pm

What do the Warren family think of MST3K? I know some directors can be really prickly about the attention MST gives their films, could down-playing that part of the infamy have been part of a deal?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#106 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Can't link to it now because I'm at work and it's in Playboy, but there's an article this month (or last month, not exactly sure) about the restoration and Hal Warren's son threatening legal action if the restoration was released without the Warren family benefiting/giving their OK. In other words, even if just motivated by money: they don't necessarily seem thrilled about it.

David M.

#107 Post by David M. » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Strange - isn't the film in the public domain?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#108 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:42 pm

It is indeed, which is what made that legal "challenge" so laughable, and it's the crutch that Solovey chose to use to explain the long delay when he was in fact dragging his feet completing the supplemental features while Synapse just had to wait (and wait, and wait) for him to turn them in. The film is indeed in the public domain and Warren's estate therefore posed no legal challenge to this release.

Minkin

#109 Post by Minkin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:08 pm

So I ordered the Manos the Hands of Fate Coloring and Activity book (with hilarious results).

I do not recommend anyone buy this thing. I was of course lured in by the concept, but the execution is just terrible. Despite being billed as an "& activity book" - there's a grand total of five activities to do here. A MST3K cast word search (find Michael Nelson, Kevin Murphy, etc), a Manos related wordsearch, an anagram, a stupid maze and a cryptogram. They're even on the reverse sides of other coloring pages, so it will likely bleed through.

Then the rest of the 250+ pages are coloring. This wouldn't be so bad except for two problems: the printing/paper are really terrible quality - like a few cases, Torgo's beard was not distinct or barely printed. At least the reverse side of every coloring page is left blank (excpet for the five activity pages). Even worse though - as you might question how a coloring book for Manos stretches out to more than 200 pages? Well, the whole thing is basically a storyboard, of what seems like every shot from the film - even repeating many in idiotic ways - like two pages are devoted to the identical image of Michael - with different text at the bottom: "My name is Michael" and "I take care of the place while the Master is away." This is really a case of more being far less - as I can't imagine anyone having fun with this and coloring hundreds of pages of the same stuff over & over.

So I recommend you all stay away from the Manos coloring book (they also have a Krampus + Night of the Living Dead coloring books, which I'm sure is equally terrible). The two reviews on Amazon seem like they were written by family members.

In other news: this coloring book trend has really gotten out of hand.
-------------------------------

Has anyone read any into the Manos sequel- made+with Debbie and The Master? They had a Kickstarter not too long ago, but I'm wondering whats happening with it.