Identify This Movie

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
zedz

Re: Identify This Movie

#1001 Post by zedz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Mr. Deltoid wrote:Ah, I knew this forum wouldn't let me down. Cheers furbicide!

Ironically, reading the synopsis (a day in the life of two film-students) it sounds like something I would now run a mile from!
I actually saw that when it came out, and while it's hardly a classic (and I remember very little specific about it), it was better than I expected. It was Radha Mitchell's first film, and she's pretty good in it, as I recall.

carmilla mircalla

#1002 Post by carmilla mircalla » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Just found this and can't find anymore info...

George Drooly

#1003 Post by George Drooly » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 am

Looking for a feature and a short by the same director. Possibly South American, Mexican, Spanish or Portuguese (I know, sorry.)

Feature is likely from early to mid-80s, possibly a bit earlier or later. Best way to describe my memory of the film is as a vampire drug film, though it's possible vampirism is not explicitly shown or mentioned. Possibly vampirism/drugs allegory, drugs being maybe more explicit than any supernatural elements. Similarly toned films might be Ganja & Hess, Martin, Nadja, The Addiction, In A Glass Cage, etc. No exploitation elements, very much a bleak art film.

The short may have been from a few years earlier, possibly student work. Very abstract, no narrative in the usual sense. Repeated imagery of shiny stars/flags, framed photos (later in film torn, burned, sexually, um, defiled,) and perhaps most memorably shots of a painting(?) of dinosaur-type creatures on a shore.

This director I believe has only made a few films, possibly only these two, and in my original investigations after viewing his work I in fact don't recall finding more than a handful of articles or reviews. So - sadly - not a well known or regarded name, even among aficionados. Certainly never released on video in the USA, I found the films on a download site; I later again saw the short on youtube.

rohmerin

#1004 Post by rohmerin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:10 am

George Drooly: it sounds to Arrebato, by Ivan Zulueta. Cult movie. Apparently the German DVD has got English subtitles a lot of extras http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0045L3 ... dvd&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

George Drooly

#1005 Post by George Drooly » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:37 am

rohmerin wrote:George Drooly: it sounds to Arrebato, by Ivan Zulueta. Cult movie. Apparently the German DVD has got English subtitles a lot of extras http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0045L3 ... dvd&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh my god, thank you, that's exactly it. Now I'll have to rewatch the film and see how inaccurate my description was.

The short was A Malgam A (1976) seen here on youtube

furbicide

#1006 Post by furbicide » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:59 am

Carmilla, a bit of idle reverse google image searching led me to this thread:

http://corrierino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently it's a pretty gruesome and disturbing German adaptation of Stoker's Dracula.

https://youtu.be/0v79Lf9fpYE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://mubi.com/films/jonathan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0065917/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carmilla mircalla

#1007 Post by carmilla mircalla » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Furbicide thank you! I actually reverse image searched it but could not find what you found...this was my last resort but thanks for all those links!!!

gorgeousnothings

#1008 Post by gorgeousnothings » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Anyone know what horror movie the banner image on this page is from (with the text all over it)? This is AMC's new horror streaming site, and it's driving me bananas.

Ribs

#1009 Post by Ribs » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:39 pm

A quick Google seems to indicate it looks like The Appeared.

gorgeousnothings

#1010 Post by gorgeousnothings » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:43 pm

Ribs wrote:A quick Google seems to indicate it looks like The Appeared.
You're right! Thanks so much.

Mr. Deltoid

#1011 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:03 pm

O.K. people, here's something that's bugging me. The following YouTube link is a piece of channel 4 (U.K.) continuity footage from the mid 90's. It starts with a few seconds of footage from the end of a black and white film and the traditional THE END credit. It seems really familiar, but I have no idea what it is. Any of you recognise it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMjoaFX5jpA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems to be American (?), possibly 50's or early 60's, a city at night and a voice calling out "come back!".

The following film that night was Maria Marten or The Murder in the Red Barn (after a trail for Saturday night's Red Light Zone! - ah, my lost pervy teenage years!)

britcom68

#1012 Post by britcom68 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Mr. Deltoid wrote:O.K. people, here's something that's bugging me. The following YouTube link is a piece of channel 4 (U.K.) continuity footage from the mid 90's. It starts with a few seconds of footage from the end of a black and white film and the traditional THE END credit. It seems really familiar, but I have no idea what it is. Any of you recognise it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMjoaFX5jpA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems to be American (?), possibly 50's or early 60's, a city at night and a voice calling out "come back!".

The following film that night was Maria Marten or The Murder in the Red Barn (after a trail for Saturday night's Red Light Zone! - ah, my lost pervy teenage years!)
The final seconds you refer to are from A Face in the Crowd. (*and hopefully in 2016 you can verify that when Criterion releases it... hopefully)

Ugarte

#1013 Post by Ugarte » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:17 pm

It definitely is A Face In The Crowd. Andy Griffith roaring...the building is still there - Central Park South and Columbus Circle. Earlier in the scene you can recognize the park entrance across the street.

adavis53

#1014 Post by adavis53 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:11 am

I'm desperately trying to remember the title of a 50s film I've only seen a clip of:

A young woman is in a Beat cafe trying to act hip in order to convince an actor (clearly parodying Brando and Dean) to rejoin some effort of hers.

But that's about all I know, I only caught a minute of it but have been very interested in finding it again. Does anyone happen to know it?

Many thanks in advance!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1015 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 am

Sounds like Bells Are Ringing, which features Frank Gorshin's memorable mockery of Brando and method acting

Mr. Deltoid

#1016 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:11 pm

Ah, cheers fellas for identifying A Face in the Crowd. Still havn't seen it (it has never been released on dvd in the UK!) so hopefully I can rectify that when (or if) Criterion ever release it!

hearthesilence

#1017 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Based on a distant memory, it may have been a TV movie.

An African-American couple are walking down some steps to a car. I think the male has just been exonerated of a crime he was jailed or tried for. It's supposed to be a joyous scene, but then when he gets in the car, this white woman approaches him and talks to him through the window. She says she wants to show him something and winds up shooting him, killing him. The people around the car immediately react, but the now-deceased's wife looks stunned and turns around, slowly walking away. Eventually everyone realizes she's been shot too.

bugsy_pal

#1018 Post by bugsy_pal » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:24 pm

I have been trying to track down or identify an old horror movie for decades. I saw it as a young kid and it really creeped me out. It had the feel of a 30s film. It involved a mad scientist/surgeon who had a group of people tied up on chairs in his basement laboratory. He had charts on the walls which he pulled down to show different facial parts, which he would select from to graft on to their faces. I think they were supposed to choose which 'new' face they wanted, but of course they were horrified and there was much shrieking and angst. I remember little else, but that scenario has stayed with me for so many years.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Ingmar

#1019 Post by Ingmar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:36 am

Hello fellow filmophiles, first time here, need your help!

Here's a snapshot from Visconti's "Le notti bianche" (1957). On the Marcello's right/or left, there's a movie poster. I'm desperate to find out for which movie. The only actor I can identify is Victor Mature. So, it must be one of his movies pre-1957. Now, the problem with these kind of posters is that in those times they weren't merely copies of the original posters. They were often painted by people who worked for distribution companies. Any help is most welcome. These kind of things are driving me nuts.

http://postimg.org/image/anouh0cu5/

Minkin

#1020 Post by Minkin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Cinemassacre is trying to identify some of the film clips used in the TNT MonsterVision promo (so that he can restore it).

Here is the video, for those who prefer youtube.

And the clips in question:

00:02 – Moon
00:08 – Test tubes/ face
00:16 – Test tubes
00:18 – Lab equipment
00:21 – Hand on buttons
00:22 – Swirling wheel
00:23 – Hand coming to life
Just to be clear, those are the only clips that are missing. If you want to know the clips that I’ve already found, they are from The Haunting (1963), The Walking Dead (1936), The Monster (1925), The Return of Doctor X (1939).

Feego

#1021 Post by Feego » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:50 pm

The shot of test tubes at 00:16 (or really more like 00:15) is from Doctor X (1932). It's possible some of those other clips may be from the same film, but that's the only one I know for sure.

L.A.

#1022 Post by L.A. » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Asking this on behalf of a friend. Two films to be identified:

1) Events take place in the '70s or '80s, maybe. A boy aged 8-10 years old wakes up in a shipwrecked vessel. Hungry, he opens a can of soup and puts marmalade in the soup and starts eating it. Next he fixes a fuel hose in order to get the ship to move but to no avail. After that a passing ship rescues him.

2) During night time, a youngster is lying on a grass or a moor outside a house. He is spying someone and the next thing he starts to hum a tune coming from the house. A simple melody, something like "dad-a-da-daa-daa".

Anyone?

repeat

#1023 Post by repeat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:57 am

Probably as a sign of finally having reached too many movies per month, I've been racking my brain for weeks to place this deadpan act of passive aggression from a (probably Asian, maybe HK) film I watched earlier this year - please help:

Fixed camera, on the left an open door to a bathroom, on the right an older person confined to bed. Person A comes in to feed the patient: goes to the bathroom first, comes out without washing hands. The older person tells her to go wash her hands, upon which person A goes back into bathroom, lets the tap run for a while (without washing hands) and comes back.

Mr. Deltoid

#1024 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:26 am

This is in reply to hearthesilence a few posts up.

What you describe (black man getting shot by white woman emerging from court) happens in Frank LaLoggia's 1988 movie The Lady in White.

Here's the YouTube link. The scene in question starts at the 5.30 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPqDUGJlJY8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bottled spider

#1025 Post by bottled spider » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:17 pm

I'm trying to remember which film has a scene in which a dog wanders into a church service, causing a small commotion among the children present. I think it's Olmi's I Fidanzati.

I might be mixing up different scenes in my head: in Madame Bovary (the novel; I haven't seen any of the adaptations), I think there is a scene in which Madame Bovary is talking to a priest outside the church, and she's on the brink of confessing adultery or her temptation to adultery, but she is forestalled by a commotion among the children inside who are there for confirmation lessons -- was there a dog involved?