Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Upcoming Movies on TV (UK)

#201 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:20 pm

The most interesting film of next week is the final film in Channel 4's Indian film season: the premiere of ensemble drama Naalu Pennungal (aka Four Women) at 1.55 a.m. in the early hours of Monday 10th May. This is a film that does not seem to have had any form of theatrical or home video release in the UK (Four Women is the title it was given at its premiere at the Toronto Film Festival in 2007), and was directed by Adoor Gopalakrishnan. Second Run released one of his earlier films Rat-Trap on DVD.

colinr0380

#202 Post by colinr0380 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:34 am

Some enterprising people have put the flagship of the "BBC4 Goes Slow" season up on YouTube, the strangely compelling two hour All Aboard! The Canal Trip.

colinr0380

#203 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:22 am

The film that most caught my attention from next week's schedule is None Shall Escape directed by André De Toth from 1944 about a Nazi on trial for war crimes flashing back on his life. This is on Film4 at 5.25 p.m. on Monday 1st June and again at 11.00 a.m. on Thursday 4th June.

By the way, how are people finding Ole Bornedal's Danish historical war-political drama series 1864, currently on BBC4? Annoyingly I missed Saturday's screening of the third and fourth episode due to a combination of watching Eurovision with the family (sadly no Polish milkmaids seductively churning butter this year!) and a DVD-R refusing to record, but I enjoyed the first couple of episodes: although the love triangle between two brothers and the girl they love is a little uncomfortably reminiscent of Pearl Harbor, and I'm not entirely sure how the modern day stuff between the elderly recluse and the teenage meals on wheels potential thief is going to play out (reminding me a little too much of a subplot in that Psychoville series!) the show almost felt like a who's-who of Danish acting talent including Sidse Babett Knudsen and Nicolas Bro in the best strand as aristocrat and the politician who is infatuated by her (though it is a little King's Speech-y). Although I did find it difficult to get rid of naughtier memories of their roles in Duke of Burgundy and Nymph()maniac respectively while watching, only made worse when Johanne gets Ditlev to lie on the floor and stands on top of him!

Apparently James Fox is in the series too, as Lord Palmerston. I'm hopeful that I might learn more about this historical figure beyond what I've learnt from The Simpsons!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colinr0380

#204 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:45 pm

Exciting news from the news section of this month's Sight & Sound:
Nicolas Roeg: It's About Time
The 86-year old director rarely gives interviews, but in this intimate Arena documentary (set for transmission on BBC4 on Sunday 28th June) he reflects on his career, with contributions from Donald Sutherland, Julie Christie, Bernard Rose and Danny Boyle.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

neilist

#205 Post by neilist » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:44 pm

'Danny Leigh's British Film Mavericks' is currently up on iPlayer, a series of six short documentaries on figures such as John Akomfrah, Donald Cammell and Peter Watkins.

thirtyframesasecond

#206 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:15 am

neilist wrote:'Danny Leigh's British Film Mavericks' is currently up on iPlayer, a series of six short documentaries on figures such as John Akomfrah, Donald Cammell and Peter Watkins.
I saw the Alan Clarke documentary the other day - it got a mention in the Guardian too. There was an interesting comment below the line though; apparently in the Firm, there's a scene of the hooligans playing football, but you see no football, the point that Clarke was making was that these guys have no interest in football whatsoever, that it's just a release. Great to see Leigh pick some less well known filmmakers. I'll watch these before they disappear.

colinr0380

#207 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Film4 are have another screening of Mikio Naruse's Late Chrysanthemums at 1.40 a.m. on Monday 15th June and Ken Loach's Black Jack is showing at 1.05 a.m. on Tuesday 16th June. It is kind of a Ken Loach week as on Sunday 14th June at 9 p.m. on BBC4 there is an hour long conversation between Cillian Murphy and Ken Loach about Loach's career (Murphy of course starred in Loach's The Wind That Shakes The Barley) followed by Sweet Sixteen.

The premieres of the week are the Belgian film nominated for Best Foreign Language film at the 2014 Academy Awards (the year that The Great Beauty won), The Broken Circle Breakdown on Film4 at 1.05 a.m. on Thursday 18th June.

And at 9 p.m. on Saturday 13th June, now that BBC4 have finished 1864 they have put a film in their "Saturday night Scandinavian crime-drama" slot, Echoes From The Dead directed by Daniel Alfredson (the guy who directed The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest/Played With Fire films) and starring Lena Endre (who was amazing in Liv Ullmann's film Faithless). It looks as if Echoes From The Dead hasn't had a UK theatrical release or been brought out on DVD or Blu-ray in this country before this television screening.

jlnight

#208 Post by jlnight » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 am

Leos Carax on Film4:

Tues 23rd June: Holy Motors / Mr. X (documentary on Carax)
Weds 24th June: Boy Meets Girl
Thu 25th June: The Night is Young

colinr0380

#209 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:21 pm

The original 1948 version of Spring In A Small Town is showing on Film4 on Thursday 25th June at 11.00 a.m.

colinr0380

#210 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 am

Not too much interesting on the television next week world cinema-wise. Probably the most interesting thing is the premiere on Channel 5 of the Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig TV movie A Deadly Adoption at 10 p.m. on Sunday 5th July.

Other than that there are a few premieres on Film 4: Mike Judge's Extract tonight at 11.05 p.m. (also with Wiig); Everything Put Together (a film directed by Marc Forster the year before he directed Monster's Ball) at 1.30 a.m. on Tuesday 7th July; the Richard Gere and Brit Marling starring Arbitrage at 9 p.m. on Tuesday 7th July; and the UK/Nigerian co-production Gone Too Far! at 11.10 p.m. on Friday 10th July.

STEVE 03

#211 Post by STEVE 03 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:15 pm

It was good to see BBC Two shown the early RKO talkie 'The Lost Squadron' again last Saturday morning. BBC Two haven't been showing as many of the old RKO films over recent months so was nice to see this one being shown again. Here's hoping they show more RKO films in the coming weeks, although none are scheduled at the moment.

colinr0380

#212 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:34 pm

There's an interesting, seemingly unplanned documentary premiere theme on the television next week:

On Monday 13th July at 10.00 p.m. BBC4 is showing Last Days In Vietnam which was one of the films nominated for Best Documentary Feature at this year's Academy Awards.

On Film4 on Wednesday 15th July at 1.10 a.m. is Kevin McDonald's film Marley (I'm still rubbing my eyes at that film running for over 140 minutes! If the adverts on Film4 are included that takes it up to 2 hours and 50 minutes, finishing at 4 a.m. in the morning!)

And on Friday 17th July at 12.30 a.m. is a strange sounding documentary The Man Whose Mind Exploded, which I wasn't aware of previously until I looked up the eye-popping (and very NSFW!) trailer! There is a slightly tamer Mark Kermode interview with the director on the film here.

colinr0380

#213 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:32 pm

I missed this when it was shown last Friday but luckily it is getting another showing at 10.50 p.m. tonight on the Movies 4 Men channel (and what could be manlier than Jan-Michael Vincent wrestling a bear!): the very strange sounding Shadow of the Hawk, which I've been curious about seeing ever since the trailer turned up on the fourth volume of the 42nd Street Forever series.

Mr. Deltoid

#214 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Cheers Colin, Shadow of the Hawk looks to be right up my street! Is it exploitation? Is it art? We'll soon find out!

colinr0380

#215 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:19 pm

The main thing the commentary on the 42nd Street Forever disc talked about was that it was an "American film disguised to be a Canadian one" for financing reasons and apparently caused some bad feelings due to this aspect! Otherwise the commentators talked about it being another difficult to see film, even in the VHS era.

It doesn't look as if this film has ever been out on home video in the UK (or if it was it was before the Video Recording Act made it mandatory for every home video release to be classified) as the Radio Times has no recent BBFC rating, with the BBFC website and imdb just having the old "AA" rating from its cinema classification back in 1976.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

colinr0380

#216 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:47 am

The big film of next week would have to be the premiere of Sergei Loznitsa's documentary Maidan on Film4 at 1.05 a.m. on Thursday 23rd July.

rattlebag

#217 Post by rattlebag » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:11 pm

colinr0380 wrote:The big film of next week would have to be the premiere of Sergei Loznitsa's documentary Maidan on Film4 at 1.05 a.m. on Thursday 23rd July.
Thanks a lot for all of your recommendations. You've flagged a few things recently that I would have missed.

colinr0380

#218 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks rattlebag! There's not too much notable on next week, though a number of curios are around on the digital channels. ITV4 is screening No Name On The Bullet, an Audie Murphy western directed by Jack Arnold, the director of This Island Earth, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Incredible Shrinking Man and High School Confidential. This film, looking at imdb, is coming from the the point at which Arnold transitioned from features into directing episodes of TV shows such as Gilligan's Island, Rawhide, Peter Gunn, Dr Kildare, Perry Mason, the Brady Bunch and so on. No Name On The Bullet is showing on Saturday 1st August at 1.15 p.m. and Sunday 2nd August at 3.40 p.m.

The Movie Mix (or "More > Movies") digital channel is showing Califonia Suite on Tuesday 4th August at 11.30 a.m. followed by the strange sounding Harry and Walter Go To New York at 1.45 p.m.. Also on that channel is the Peter Falk starring, Neil Simon written The Cheap Detective at 9.00 a.m. on Friday 7th August. The other oddity that channel is offering next week is a 2000 TV movie adaptation of Picnic which has a more famous 1955 William Holden and Kim Novak version, but might be of interest due to featuring Josh Brolin in the lead and for being directed by Ivan Passer! That is on Monday 3rd August at 12.55 p.m.

On the Movies4Men channel, Geraldine Chaplin starts stalking Anthony Perkins in Alan Rudolph's Remember My Name. That's at 10.50 on Tuesday 4th August and again at 12.40 a.m. on Friday 7th August. And on Sunday 2nd August there is a double bill of Spaghetti westerns: One Damned Day At Dawn...Django Meets Sartana at 10.50 p.m., and The Big Showdown (with Lee Van Cleef and featuring music that might be strangely familiar for anyone who has seen Kill Bill Volume 1!) at 12.30 a.m.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlnight

#219 Post by jlnight » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 am

Thanks for the tip-off for Remember My Name.

I've noticed that BBC4 have scheduled War Book, which has recently been classified for theatrical release, for Tues 11th August.

GaryC

#220 Post by GaryC » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:33 pm

Presumably California Suite will be unedited, as music rights issues shouldn't affect TV showings. Not sure if they'll show it in Scope though. This is an Altman I haven't seen before.

Remember My Name is definitely worth catching, especially as it's never been on VHS let alone DVD or Blu-ray due to music rights issues. There's a post by me elsewhere on this forum following a rare 35mm showing at the BFI Southbank a few years ago, of an ex-UK distribution print which had faded in parts.

ETA: It was longer ago than I thought - five years ago! here.

antnield

#221 Post by antnield » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:40 pm

It's Herbert Ross's California Suite being screened, not Robert Altman's California Split.

GaryC

#222 Post by GaryC » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:01 am

antnield wrote:It's Herbert Ross's California Suite being screened, not Robert Altman's California Split.
You're right - I misread that. I have seen California Suite before.

colinr0380

#223 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:12 am

Oops, sorry about that mistake! I'll amend my earlier post!

colinr0380

#224 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:24 pm

In the early hours of Saturday 15th August (1.10 a.m. in fact), Channel 4 are premiering Terrence Malick's To The Wonder.

Film4 have released their schedule for this year's FrightFest season on the channel. The films that stood out the most to me were:

Takashi Miike's Lesson of Evil on Saturday 22nd August (also out on Blu-ray from Third Window);

V/H/S 2 on Wednesday 26th August (which is great for me, as I won't have to buy a copy of this to get a chance to see it now!);

Black Rock on Thursday 27th August. This is directed by mumblecore alumni Katie Aselton, who is perhaps better known as an actress. She was one of the leads of the Duplass Brothers' The Puffy Chair and has been in their later films Cyrus and Jeff, Who Lives At Home. Black Rock is also co-written by Mark Duplass. She has most recently starred in the 'divisive' Gus Van Sant film The Sea of Trees and The Gift;

The Elijah Wood starring, albeit first person perspective (a similar conceit to the 1947 Lady In The Lake film), remake of the 1980 serial killer film Maniac is showing Saturday 29th August;

And the great 1974 film Deathdream (aka Dead of Night) directed by Bob Clark is on Sunday 30th August. It is not quite as good as Clark's Black Christmas, but is well worth watching for its Vietnam-themed take on The Monkey's Paw. Even if you are not a fan of horror films it might be worth checking out to see Lynn Carlin and John Marley playing another married couple years after they starred in John Cassavetes's Faces together!

neilist

#225 Post by neilist » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:23 pm

'Atomic: Living in Dread and Promise', a new documentary by Mark Cousins (and featuring a score by Mogwai) is on BBC4 tomorrow (Sunday 9 August) at 21:00.