Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
oldsheperd

Re: Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder, 2016)

#76 Post by oldsheperd » Sat May 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Whatever Snyder produces I'm sure it will have homoerotic undertones.

Movie-Brat

#78 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:08 pm

No doubt they saw the box office results for Guardians of the Galaxy and figured it'd be easier to just be ahead of the game.

captveg

#79 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:59 pm

March/April is the new May/June. Now that opening weekend is 65-70% of US box office studios can't cram everything in to the summer.

In any case, about zero people that were going to see this in May '16 will say, "End of March? Pass." So, basically, it's a move that benefits everyone.

flyonthewall2983

#80 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:05 pm

Also I think March '16 is when Prometheus 2 opens, and they might think this would be better competition since that might get an R-rating and this will be PG-13.

flyonthewall2983

#84 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:46 pm

I've been skeptical of this whole thing from the get-go, but some of what's hinted at in the trailer is quite promising. Partly because it appears to answer to the carnage of the previous film as if Snyder took to heart the criticisms of it in Man of Steel. But mostly because now I'm quite sold on the idea of Affleck as Bruce Wayne. And I think the casting of Jeremy Irons as Alfred is a little inspired.

I'm not prepared to eat crow on it until I see the finished product, since I was quite stoked for the Man of Steel promos too. It could atone for the film's previous sins, while adding a bunch of new ones in it's place. But it could work, provided it's at least over 2 hours long since this has lots of ground to cover and new characters to introduce.

dx23

#85 Post by dx23 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I've been skeptical of this whole thing from the get-go, but some of what's hinted at in the trailer is quite promising. Partly because it appears to answer to the carnage of the previous film as if Snyder took to heart the criticisms of it in Man of Steel. But mostly because now I'm quite sold on the idea of Affleck as Bruce Wayne. And I think the casting of Jeremy Irons as Alfred is a little inspired.

I'm not prepared to eat crow on it until I see the finished product, since I was quite stoked for the Man of Steel promos too. It could atone for the film's previous sins, while adding a bunch of new ones in it's place. But it could work, provided it's at least over 2 hours long since this has lots of ground to cover and new characters to introduce.
I felt the same way about Man of Steel trailers but then the movie arrived and it was a complete disappointment, mostly because of the story, not the actors themselves. Although I still feel Amy Adams is wrong for the part of Lois Lane.

I already feel a little weird about the story told in the trailer. It's mostly assumption, but we can see that the angle they are going here is that Bruce Wayne was working his day job in Metropolis when the Kryptonians were attacking and the destruction is why he is mad at Superman. Well, where the hell was Batman in all of this? Were was Wonder Woman? This type of plot holes are the ones people notice but Zack Snyder doesn't care cause he is more of a visual guy. He prefers the fights instead of telling the story about how they got into it.

Of course, this is all assumption, but it's somewhat expected due to who is at helm of this series and the way Warner/DC have treated their characters since Green Lantern.

captveg

#86 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:55 am

The Metropolis battle at the end of Man of Steel occurred practically in real time, so it went on for what, half an hour? What is Wayne supposed to do exactly (looks like we'll see what he tried to do)? What if Wonder Woman was in another part of the world? I fail to see how those are plot holes when I can easily think of reasonable answers in mere seconds.

I suspect it won't be just the Metropolis destruction that motivates Batman, but that along with some events in the first act of this film, likely ones manipulated by Luthor to add to the negative portrayal of Superman. We already know Hunter's Senator is being influenced by Luthor from the dialogue in the trailer. I wouldn't be surprised if the soldiers with the Superman symbol are also something Luthor backed.

SpiderBaby

#87 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:48 am

captveg wrote:The Metropolis battle at the end of Man of Steel occurred practically in real time, so it went on for what, half an hour? What is Wayne supposed to do exactly (looks like we'll see what he tried to do)? What if Wonder Woman was in another part of the world?
I think he meant when Zod threaten to destroy the world through electronic communication a day or so before, why would Bruce Wayne be casually going on about his day? Shouldn't the 'World's Greatest Detective' be on a hunt to find this alien Zod wants back to save the world? He and Wonder Woman knew the world was threaten before the disaster happened. Yet Bruce is shown casual while the world is about to be destroyed. Some superhero.

RossyG

#88 Post by RossyG » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:14 am

Batman isn't a superhero.

Ok, I'm a pedant. But it's true.

Luke M

#89 Post by Luke M » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 am

I find myself in an odd position where my feelings on this trailer are at nearly a polar opposite of my friends or the majority of people who viewed the trailer it seems. I'm not typically the kind of person who shuns big Hollywood excess and can usually find value in almost any production. Maybe it's superhero fatigue, but I just refuse to buy into what Snyder is trying to do here. With the lone exception of Affleck's Bruce Wayne, nothing in the trailer works. Jesse Eisenberg or the script is terrible. The 9/11 imagery is offensive. The oh-so serious tone is just irritating. At least when Marvel assaults our senses with less than stellar special effects, illogical character motives, and lazy plot contrivances; we're all having fun.

captveg

#90 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:25 pm

SpiderBaby wrote:
captveg wrote:The Metropolis battle at the end of Man of Steel occurred practically in real time, so it went on for what, half an hour? What is Wayne supposed to do exactly (looks like we'll see what he tried to do)? What if Wonder Woman was in another part of the world?
I think he meant when Zod threaten to destroy the world through electronic communication a day or so before, why would Bruce Wayne be casually going on about his day? Shouldn't the 'World's Greatest Detective' be on a hunt to find this alien Zod wants back to save the world? He and Wonder Woman knew the world was threaten before the disaster happened. Yet Bruce is shown casual while the world is about to be destroyed. Some superhero.
Zod's threat was if Superman didn't turn himself in, which was satisfied. Zod changed the rules afterwards without telling the world.

I'm also pretty sure we'll see that Wayne hasn't been the Batman for a few years.

I don't know, as a fan of the comics everything about this film looks spot on perfect to me, even Eisenberg's dirtbag skeevy Luthor.

I'm also tired of everyone thinking that Marvel's "weeeeee, funsies!" tone is the only right way to do these films. I like those a lot, but I don't need DC to do the same thing.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#91 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:12 pm

captveg wrote:I'm also tired of everyone thinking that Marvel's "weeeeee, funsies!" tone is the only right way to do these films. I like those a lot, but I don't need DC to do the same thing.
I'm pretty much with you on the Marvel movies. Other than the Captain America films (both of which I'm really fond of) I've become incredibly bored with the Marvel movies, that last Avengers film being pretty representative of everything I've grown tired of. I think this movie looks interesting in concept, but if the DC universe is going to be just bleak and dark I'm sure I'll grow pretty bored with that, too.

wattsup32

#92 Post by wattsup32 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Luke M wrote:The 9/11 imagery is offensive.
I didn't catch the 9/11 imagery, much less find anything to be offended by. What bothered you?

captveg

#93 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:14 pm

cdnchris wrote:but if the DC universe is going to be just bleak and dark I'm sure I'll grow pretty bored with that, too.
Of course. I expect the presence of The Flash to lighten the mood in the JL films as that's a notable part of his personality. (And along with that the world coming to accept Superman as a hero as opposed to worshiping him or fearing his power should help there, as well).

flyonthewall2983

#94 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:20 pm

The 9/11 imagery, as kind of blatant as it is I'll admit, is quite necessary here to establish that the carnage caused from the previous film has a major ripple effect. It also provides the proper impetus for Bruce Wayne to want to destroy Superman.

If there's a better way to do it than to conjure up the comparison to that day, I'm sure that would be a preferred method. But as this is, I don't mind it as it's not something being taken for granted in terms of the story of this follow-up to Man of Steel.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#95 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Luke M wrote:The 9/11 imagery is offensive.
As long as people have an insatiable appetite for films about apocalyptic destruction of major cities/modern civilization, this sort of imagery is going to reappear again and again and that same audience isn't allowed to chime in about it offending them with a straight face

Luke M

#96 Post by Luke M » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:03 pm

I found the 9/11 imagery, the buildings falling, people running away from dust cloud, offensive because its used as the backdrop of a silly superhero movie. As serious as we're suppose to believe in it, it's literally named Batman vs. Superman. A lot of what made DC and Marvel comics so successful, was the ability to tell stories that resonate with children as well as adults. Other than Pixar, very few studios/filmmakers can accomplish this task. Snyder's film, based on the trailer, seems to key on teenage boys and manchildren while alienating everyone else.

Back to the 9/11 imagery, Marvel is guilty of it too. But in this one, because of the overall serious tone, it just seems more offensive than others. Or perhaps, it's not more problematic, but just exposed because of all the other issues in the trailer.