Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2301 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:33 pm

Don't assume that Facets has the rights to a film just because they have it out on DVD...

And the Czech Blu-ray of Daisies looks lovely.

sir_luke

#2302 Post by sir_luke » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:56 pm

gorgeousnothings wrote:I'm not sure what the point of releasing a Lana Del Rey collection would be since the entirety of her videos are already on youtube. Unless they are going to package them with music videos from her upcoming Honeymoon and release it as a promotional tie-in? The fact that the source is claiming David Lynch has an interest in contributing somehow makes this whole idea make more sense and less sense at the same time. She sang Blue Velvet so maybe he's interested in directing a music video?

This is the most absurd and yet not unplausible rumor I've heard in a long while.
I agree that the rumor seems pretty unreasonable, but I did consider the possibility that it might be more of a "project" than just a collection of preexisting music videos, with content created specifically for the release (in collaboration with directors like Lynch). If there's any possibility of it happening, I would expect it to be something like that.

EddieLarkin

#2303 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:55 am

The Daisies Blu-ray is a German release rather than Czech, unless there is a second I don't know about. Coincidentally, David Mackenzie did the authoring! It would be great to see Arrow pick this up for a BD release as well, to go along with their rumoured upcoming Closely Watched Trains disc.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2304 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:45 am

EddieLarkin wrote:The Daisies Blu-ray is a German release rather than Czech, unless there is a second I don't know about.
No, you're right.

jmj713

#2305 Post by jmj713 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:18 pm

This must've come up before, but how likely is a Criterion collection of the Hitchcock silents? And if so, when? And speaking of Hitchcock, would love to see his other films get the Criterion treatment. Apart from the silents, which could be next?

movielocke

#2306 Post by movielocke » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:12 pm

Sabotage, I hope.

ryannichols7

#2307 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:33 pm

Bela Tarr and especially the Bluray of Daisies makes sense. if Criterion can break the BBS box, I can see them upgrading an Eclipse title, especially one that everyone has seen loves.

the Lana thing is weird and out there but this is the company that released Tiny Furniture.

MichaelB

#2308 Post by MichaelB » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:36 pm

jmj713 wrote:This must've come up before, but how likely is a Criterion collection of the Hitchcock silents?
It depends on the rights status in the US. In the UK, half of them are owned by StudioCanal, with all that that implies.

geh1

#2309 Post by geh1 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:15 am

If it's true that Facets isn't renewing rights, I hope it means that Syberberg's Hitler is up for grabs. While their DVD of Hitler has Syberberg's imprimatur, it would be nice to get a full Blu-Ray restoration.

RSTooley

#2310 Post by RSTooley » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Criterion posted pictures of film producer Laura Coxson and Olivier Assayas today, leading me to believe that eventual releases of Clouds of Sils Maria and Albert Maysles' Iris may be on the horizon. Of course, this is all just random speculation.

ordinaryperson

#2311 Post by ordinaryperson » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:53 pm

It's never too early for predictions:
The Apu Trilogy
"My Beautiful Laundrette"
"Here's Your Life"
"The New World"
"The Killers" Blu-Ray upgrade
"The Devil and Daniel Webster" Blu-Ray uprgrade

Ribs

#2312 Post by Ribs » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:26 pm

The Tales of Hoffman
A Matter of Life and Death
The Apu Trilogy
The War Trilogy
Blue is the Warmest Color
My Beautiful Laundrette

Aunt Peg

#2313 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:00 am

I noticed in the recent edition of Film Comment that In Cold Blood (1964) is being restored by Sony. I would imagine this would be a candidate for a Criterion release sometime in the future.

Ribs

#2314 Post by Ribs » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:42 am

david hare wrote:AMOLAD is unrestored since the 2004 Grover Crisp version for DVD (which was used for the French BD.) It's no longer really good enough, given the Film Foundation and Canal restorations of the Shoes and Blimp and the Institut Lumiere 2K for Narcissus. Thelma has mentioned en passant they hope to get money to do AMOLAD again. Given the Crisp resto was photochemical all the elements should be in great shape for a new 4K scan and remastering to a higher standard. It will be next up I would suggest, after a couple of B&W and Bluebeard's Castle (currently being finished.)

Sabotage is more or less impossible for Crit as it's an ITV/Network/Canal property. Also the HD master may not be up to their standards. Network is doing it in May of course. The Network Region B Young and Innocent is mostly good but there are serious problems with frame jitter and tearing/warping at the opening and at the 50 minute mark (the Children's party of all things.) It needs some expensive physical restoration as do a number of the older Canal Hitchcock masters from the 90s.
Hm. I was under the impression it had been restored already but I think I was just misinterpreting the print being used.

I do wonder about I Know Where I'm Going and A Canterbury Tale - as B+W and not really heavy on the stupendously fantastical production design elements as the technicolor ones, would the existing HD masters (on Amazon and iTunes) suffice for a "just filling the slot" release? It'll have been two years since Blimp came out in June so I'll take practically anything.

FakeBonanza

#2315 Post by FakeBonanza » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:51 pm

david hare wrote:AMOLAD is unrestored since the 2004 Grover Crisp version for DVD (which was used for the French BD.) It's no longer really good enough, given the Film Foundation and Canal restorations of the Shoes and Blimp and the Institut Lumiere 2K for Narcissus. Thelma has mentioned en passant they hope to get money to do AMOLAD again. Given the Crisp resto was photochemical all the elements should be in great shape for a new 4K scan and remastering to a higher standard. It will be next up I would suggest, after a couple of B&W and Bluebeard's Castle (currently being finished.)

Sabotage is more or less impossible for Crit as it's an ITV/Network/Canal property. Also the HD master may not be up to their standards. Network is doing it in May of course. The Network Region B Young and Innocent is mostly good but there are serious problems with frame jitter and tearing/warping at the opening and at the 50 minute mark (the Children's party of all things.) It needs some expensive physical restoration as do a number of the older Canal Hitchcock masters from the 90s.
Sabotage is among the British Hitchcock films that Criterion has released on iTunes, so the rights aren't necessarily the issue. Having watched the "HD" version released on iTunes, I would, however, agree that a new transfer would be necessary to warrant a stand-alone physical release from Criterion. It was about a year ago that I watched it, however, so I can't speak too specifically about that digital version.

movielocke

#2316 Post by movielocke » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:15 pm

The Virgin Spring, Summertime, the lady eve, Dodeskaden blurays.

Here's your life
Emigrants
The new land
Where the wild things are
Intimate lighting

Ribs

#2317 Post by Ribs » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:56 pm

There's HD versions of IKWIG, Canterbury, and 49th Parallel on Criterion's Amazon and iTunes. I've only seen Canterbury through this means and I don't recall if there was a specific restoration identified, but if I recall it was uploaded sometime in the first half of last year so it may well be from a recent restoration.

I don't think any of those are likely to be big sellers, lavish restoration or not, so I expect them to be put out with what's on Amazon and iTunes already rather than spending the money to finance a new version.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#2318 Post by Shrew » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:23 pm

I think Michael B or someone mentioned awhile ago that the BFI was going to do its own restoration on Canterbury, but whatever is out there isn't "Film Foundation" quality. I expect Criterion doesn't want to release any P&P when there's a chance a better restoration could surface shortly (ala The Leopard). I don't think Film Foundation has a clear schedule of what's coming next, so who knows how long till they get around to the B/W ones, or what color ones they'll do next.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2319 Post by Drucker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:00 am

It absolutely seems Criterion likes to wait for major restorations when they are a possibility. It means there'll be a theatrical tour, and in most cases a restoration with greater resources than Criterion can produce in-house. Seems the Ozu films will hopefully continue to be 4k restorations, which makes a lot more sense (financially and in general) than just HD transfers of the BFI's releases.

Calvin

#2320 Post by Calvin » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:52 am

david hare wrote:Sabotage is more or less impossible for Crit as it's an ITV/Network/Canal property.
Criterion have the rights to Sabotage. It is, indeed, an ITV property but not Studio Canal.

criterion10

#2321 Post by criterion10 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:14 pm

mogwai wrote:Anne Thompson article with Peter Becker on the Apu trilogy restoration. This is going to be such an amazingly important release. I can't wait to see them.
Wondering if the trilogy will be announced tomorrow. Would make sense to time it with the B&N sale, and it's clearly finished, as the Film Forum will be playing it throughout next month.

Minkin

#2322 Post by Minkin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:21 pm

mogwai wrote:Anne Thompson article with Peter Becker on the Apu trilogy restoration.
That article seems to also randomly tease at Criterion doing Chimes at Midnight. Perhaps that explains the Beatrice Welles comments about a major label restoring/releasing it soon.

I hope the Apu trilogy is announced tomorrow as well, as it will make convenient timing with the BN sale. I think Criterion has been leaning more towards announcing things for home video to coincide with a Janus theatrical tour - since they both serve to advertise each other - and undoubtedly people seeing it in theater will want to know where the blu set is. This seems to be a far better strategy than their previous: Janus tour, then a disc several years later, after everyones either forgotten about it or are pissed that they're having to wait so damn long (see: Rashomon + Soft Skin).

RSTooley

#2323 Post by RSTooley » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:42 pm

There is no way all of this stuff would come in one month, but...

Predictions:
Easy Rider (stand alone reissue)
Here’s Your Life
Le Samurai (upgrade)
Mulholland Drive
My Beautiful Laundrette
Two Days, One Night
Vampyr (upgrade)

jwd5275

#2324 Post by jwd5275 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 pm

I'm especially interested in this part of the article:
.A key move for Criterion was opportunistically picking up Image Entertainment's vast video library (from AudioBrandon, Films Inc. and others) after no one wanted to pay the print storage bills anymore.
What films are contained in this library? Does this mean that besides acquiring these physical elements, that they have all the rights to the individual films?

Ribs

#2325 Post by Ribs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:58 pm

jwd5275 wrote:I'm especially interested in this part of the article:
.A key move for Criterion was opportunistically picking up Image Entertainment's vast video library (from AudioBrandon, Films Inc. and others) after no one wanted to pay the print storage bills anymore.
What films are contained in this library? Does this mean that besides acquiring these physical elements, that they have all the rights to the individual films?
Could we be seeing a The Essential Ernest collection announced tomorrow? :P

I don't really think it means anything, as a Google reveals one of the titles is Purple Noon which has been out for some time.