Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
FrauBlucher

Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:23 pm

colinr0380

Re: Passages

#2 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Perhaps his best non-Star Trek performance was in the 70s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, twisting his peformance of cold, alien intellectualism into a much scarier area!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numero Trois

#3 Post by Numero Trois » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:13 pm

From just five days ago-

lubitsch

#4 Post by lubitsch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Very sad to hear it. There were lots of other roles, for a short time in the mid 80s he looked as if he could establish himself as a successful director and he had numerous other artistic fields where he tried his luck, but obviously he's always going to be remembered for developing in a masterful way an iconic film history character, fighting to preserve a consistent portrayal throughout the series.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

#5 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:59 pm

A wonderful person and (more parochailly) a great Bostonian (even if Boston did obliterate the neighborhood he grew up in).

warren oates

#6 Post by warren oates » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:09 pm

I'll also remember him for his work on In Search of... and for being one of the better celebrity poets.

aox

#7 Post by aox » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm 34. And being from a small rural town in Oklahoma with hardly any TV (no cable), I had a lot of VHS tapes my grandmother had recorded for me of old Star Trek episodes in the 1980s. I think I even had all 79 episodes. Nimoy was one of the first people who I ever considered a personal "hero". His portrayal of Spock was inspiring to me. As I got older and saw the other projects he worked on, my respect for him only grew. And, with everything I read about him, he seemed like a genuinely great human being. Unlike Shatner, he never seemed to take himself too seriously and he embraced the character. His appearances on the Simpsons when I was growing up probably helped a lot as well. I'd hate to call such a great life a "great loss". Nonetheless, RIP.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#8 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Better to consider Nimoy's life and career as a "great gift" rather than his (inevitable) death a "great loss".

Minkin

#9 Post by Minkin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:55 pm

This is quite the sad day at my house, and my S/O isn't handling it too well at the moment.

Nimoy is constantly with us here - as great fans of the original Star Trek series and In Search of.. (Still have yet to watch him in Mission Impossible, but that will be forthcoming I suspect)

All I guess I can say is, to recommend some of his music works, especially Mr. Spock's Music from Outer Space. Though you can also try his several autobiographies.

Follow Your Star
The Difference between Us
A Visit to a Sad Planet

and the more comical:
Highly Illogical

And perhaps the most absurd / ridiculous thing I've ever seen. (how's that for click bait?)
Last edited by Minkin on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polybius

#10 Post by Polybius » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 am

Minkin wrote: (Still have yet to watch him in Mission Impossible, but that will be forthcoming I suspect)
He's excellent. Martin Landau left some big shoes to fill but Nimoy did so and he did it by embodying a character who was similar but still unique.

aox wrote that unlike Shatner, Nimoy never took himself too seriously. He also never made a habit of simultaneously showing naked contempt for his audience while expecting them to continue forking over their money to him, as Shatner has done for a long time.

I knew he was ill but this still comes as a jarring blow. He's been in my consciousness for more than 40 years, most of that time in a special, valued place.

Movie-Brat

#11 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:29 am

I was afraid the earlier hospitalization was going to lead to his death given the chest pains. :(

Now, I barely grew up with Star Trek. I didn't get into the franchise until 2009 when the reboot came out. I watched an episode when I was a kid and it bored me. Keep in mind, I was more in the Star Wars camp. But that didn't exactly stop me from seeing him in other stuff. I watched The Pagemaster, he was Dr. Jekyll. Kind of a waste of his talent looking back. I also knew about his film Three Men and a Baby when I saw promos for it on the Disney Channel. Then there was the movie Them in which he had a very small part but hey, it's worth the trivia note. And of course, I saw one his Simpsons episodes he guest starred on; the one where Mr. Burns was an alien specifically but I did see the monorail episode years later. Classic stuff.

Despite that later on I ended up hating most 80's cartoons, I used to own Transformers: The Movie on VHS and what do you know, he was Galvatron. Nowadays, I consider him to be the best part about the film. Before that, Atlantis: The Lost Empire; my first theatrical experience to feature the guy in some capacity. I did manage to Star Trek: The Motion Picture when I decided to give Star Trek a chance in 2006...and once again, it bored me to tears and I swore it off. But I argue his best performance is in the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers which I did watch in honor of the guy just recently. And I did see Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home but of course, it was the 2009 film that had me jump on the bandwagon. The last films I saw that featured him were, and I know, I know, given their reputation and all; Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Star Trek Into Darkness in which he only gave exposition. But I guess it was fitting it'd be the last thing I'd see of him.

So I'm sad to see the guy pass away but not only have I read that he seemed like a very nice dude but he lived an incredible life so at least he'll be appreciated more than ever.

RIP
Live long and prosper.

AnamorphicWidescreen

#12 Post by AnamorphicWidescreen » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:41 am

Very sad re: Leonard Nimoy's passing, and very sudden as well.

As a kid I do have fond memories of seeing the original Star Trek in re-runs in the late '70's (wasn't around when the show was first broadcast)....

Also enjoyed his few but significant appearances in the underrated & superb 200X sci-fi TV series Fringe; he played the brilliant scientist William Bell - excellent show, that was enhanced by Nimoy's presence...

And, yes, the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers was incredible - IMHO it was the best version of the story (and there have been four versions, IIRC). Great role by Nimoy here as well.

However, IMHO his best role was as the disguise/make-up artist Paris from the original late '60's/early '70's Mission Impossible series...IIRC, he took over the role from Martin Landau. I saw the entire series on DVD, back in Fall 2011 - truly superb show.

PillowRock

#13 Post by PillowRock » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:03 am

Nimoy will be missed. I don't think I've seen it since the late 80s, but I remember liking his one man play Vincent quite a bit.

Movie-Brat wrote:I did manage to Star Trek: The Motion Picture when I decided to give Star Trek a chance in 2006
That was an unfortunate place to start sampling Trek. There are plenty of lifelong Trek fans who refer to that as "Star Trek: The Motionless Picture".