All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
scubadonc

Re: All-Region DVD and Blu-ray Player Advice

#1051 Post by scubadonc » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:19 pm

I'll second the Seiki from Sears. I got one a year ago for $50. It's a great machine.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1052 Post by cdnchris » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Same here. Still working great.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1053 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:29 pm

Zot! wrote:Heads up for those in the hunt in the U.S. Sears currently carries a Seiki all region (BD and DVD) machine that also does 4k up scaling (couldn't comment as to the quality of that feature). $99. I hope this can put an end to the suggestion concerning the "elitist" nature of being fully de-locked. I might add that it will also output all material in native encoding (50i or 24p, etc.), if your display can handle it. Otherwise it will convert it for you, the quality of which is a step up from my old momitsu.
Not in the catalog online, so far as I can tell -- and the outlet store (which lists it for $59) indicates the SR212S is no longer available. What model did you just find?

Zot!

#1054 Post by Zot! » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:26 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Zot! wrote:Heads up for those in the hunt in the U.S. Sears currently carries a Seiki all region (BD and DVD) machine that also does 4k up scaling (couldn't comment as to the quality of that feature). $99. I hope this can put an end to the suggestion concerning the "elitist" nature of being fully de-locked. I might add that it will also output all material in native encoding (50i or 24p, etc.), if your display can handle it. Otherwise it will convert it for you, the quality of which is a step up from my old momitsu.
Not in the catalog online, so far as I can tell -- and the outlet store (which lists it for $59) indicates the SR212S is no longer available. What model did you just find?
I found it only on store shelves thus far. Seiki SR4kP1. I bought it because it was the cheapest I could find, and could return it to Sears if it was faulty.

manicsounds

#1055 Post by manicsounds » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Killeej wrote:Oh dear. It seems that I have no idea how to do this. I've had the Blu-Ray player (a Panasonic DMP-BD65) for about two years, and never tried to play a Region 1 Blu-Ray on it before now. I've dumped the manual ages ago, and have no idea what a Flashdrive is.

Thanks for trying to help....
Did you already install enhanced region free firmware?

StevenJ0001

#1056 Post by StevenJ0001 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Zot! wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote:
I found it only on store shelves thus far. Seiki SR4kP1. I bought it because it was the cheapest I could find, and could return it to Sears if it was faulty.
It's now available online for $89.99: http://www.sears.com/seiki-u-vision-blu ... ckType=G13

Zot!, I have heard some of the cheaper players have digital processing/noise reduction/edge enhancement locked on-- do you know if can you switch it off with this player?

Zot!

#1057 Post by Zot! » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:47 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:
Zot! wrote: I found it only on store shelves thus far. Seiki SR4kP1. I bought it because it was the cheapest I could find, and could return it to Sears if it was faulty.
It's now available online for $89.99: http://www.sears.com/seiki-u-vision-blu ... ckType=G13

Zot!, I have heard some of the cheaper players have digital processing/noise reduction/edge enhancement locked on-- do you know if can you switch it off with this player?
I know David M. Was complaining in this regard. He's seen more players than myself, of course, but I see no such issue on this or my old Momitsu. The "sharpness" can be set to "low", and the "noise reduction" can be set to "off". What the actual result is, I can't be sure, but it looks very natural to me. for that price, I can't believe you wouldn't love it. I would also add that the conversion of 25/50 fps material is very good and doesn't add any egregious stair stepping or studder. Or if your display can show pal material, it will add no processing. Have not tried the 4k upscaling, and probably never will.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1058 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Zot! wrote:Heads up for those in the hunt in the U.S. Sears currently carries a Seiki all region (BD and DVD) machine that also does 4k up scaling ...
Automatically, no need to manually change regions or imput secret coes or whatever?

scubadonc

#1059 Post by scubadonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:27 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Automatically, no need to manually change regions or imput secret coes or whatever?
There is a code. Once the machine turns on, before you put in a disc, hit the setup button. Once that menu pops up enter 5802 and it'll prompt you to change Blu-ray regions (it's already all-region dvd). 1 is region A. 2 is region B. 4 is Region C.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1060 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:30 pm

At this point, I only need a more trustworty Region B player than my creaky, cranky Sherwood. ;-}

scubadonc

#1061 Post by scubadonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:36 pm

I've had my Seiki for nearly two years and it's fabulous. I've toyed with the idea of getting a second one for that inevitable day when it breaks down.

Zot!

#1062 Post by Zot! » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:At this point, I only need a more trustworty Region B player than my creaky, cranky Sherwood. ;-}
if you set it to B, it will stay on B, even after power-off.

StevenJ0001

#1063 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks Zot! and others for all the info! May make a nice Xmas present for myself. :D

David M.

#1064 Post by David M. » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Zot! wrote:I know David M. Was complaining in this regard. He's seen more players than myself, of course, but I see no such issue on this or my old Momitsu. The "sharpness" can be set to "low", and the "noise reduction" can be set to "off".
That's an improvement on the cheap players I've seen which didn't have those options at all. Still, as you say, "off" doesn't always mean "off".

manicsounds

#1065 Post by manicsounds » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:20 pm

scubadonc wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote:Automatically, no need to manually change regions or imput secret coes or whatever?
There is a code. Once the machine turns on, before you put in a disc, hit the setup button. Once that menu pops up enter 5802 and it'll prompt you to change Blu-ray regions (it's already all-region dvd). 1 is region A. 2 is region B. 4 is Region C.
It's not "8520"?

scubadonc

#1066 Post by scubadonc » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:58 pm

manicsounds wrote:It's not "8520"?
You're right. I temporarily lost my mind.

artfilmfan

#1067 Post by artfilmfan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:07 pm

So, I bought the new Seiki Blu-ray player that is sold at Sears. It has played everything I've tried (Regions 1 & 2 DVDs and Regions A & B Blu-rays). Best of all, it resumes play at the last stopped position (on Blu-ray discs which my other players don't).

StevenJ0001

#1068 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:55 pm

artfilmfan wrote:So, I bought the new Seiki Blu-ray player that is sold at Sears. It has played everything I've tried (Regions 1 & 2 DVDs and Regions A & B Blu-rays). Best of all, it resumes play at the last stopped position (on Blu-ray discs which my other players don't).
Cool, thanks for the report!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1069 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm

10% off region free Sony players (S1200, S3200, S5200) at 220 Electronics with code SNY10 (today only)

Telstar

#1070 Post by Telstar » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:17 pm

So the new Seiki carried by Sears uses the same code as the SR4KPI to switch BD regions, and automatically converts PAL BD material and dvds for NTSC sets?

Zot!

#1071 Post by Zot! » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Telstar wrote:So the new Seiki carried by Sears uses the same code as the SR4KPI to switch BD regions, and automatically converts PAL BD material and dvds for NTSC sets?
The SRK4P1 is the new Seiki....but otherwise, yes.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#1072 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:51 am

Looking at the product information for the new Seiki, I'm guessing it doesn't have Wifi. (It says no internet connectivity despite Ethernet port listed in its description). Does it have Netflix or Pandora?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1073 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:36 pm

My Seiki arrived today -- and I set it up promptly for Region B blu-rays -- seems to work. My player was set by default to play only Region 1 DVDs, so I changed this to 0 -- and it seems to handle R1 and R2.

Zot!

#1074 Post by Zot! » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:45 am

jindianajonz wrote:Looking at the product information for the new Seiki, I'm guessing it doesn't have Wifi. (It says no internet connectivity despite Ethernet port listed in its description). Does it have Netflix or Pandora?
Nope,nope,nope. It's a cheap piece of junk that does one thing. It plays all region bds. Don't expect something fancy. Just get yourself a roku box or whatever.

Telstar

#1075 Post by Telstar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:16 pm

I bought a Seiki yesterday and am very happy with it. My only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to get around the player stretching 1:33:1 dvds (like Criterion's Casque d'or) to fill the entire screen. When I push the set up button and look into the TV setting it's displayed as 16:9 "full screen" and "automatic" and also grayed out so that there appears to be no one to alter the setting. Anyone else encounter this?