Second Sight Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Telstar

Re: Second Sight Films (UK)

#276 Post by Telstar » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:51 am

Just curious if any one has had problems playing Second Sight's Possession blu-ray? I recall hearing reports of people with all-region Sony, Panasonic and Sharp players having issues when this was first released.

skeets kelly

#277 Post by skeets kelly » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:57 am

Telstar wrote:Just curious if any one has had problems playing Second Sight's Possession blu-ray? I recall hearing reports of people with all-region Sony, Panasonic and Sharp players having issues when this was first released.
i do. freezes during the subway scene. i have a pioneer bdp 330.

Telstar

#278 Post by Telstar » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:20 am

Hmmm. Maybe it would be better to ask if anyone's all-region player has not had issues with Second Sight's Possession?

fdm

#279 Post by fdm » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:04 am

Telstar wrote:Hmmm. Maybe it would be better to ask if anyone's all-region player has not had issues with Second Sight's Possession?
Played fine on Oppo 93.

Telstar

#280 Post by Telstar » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:11 am

I have a region-free Insignia player. Has anyone tried watching Possession on that kind of player?

PfR73

#281 Post by PfR73 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Does anyone know why Amazon UK doesn't sell the Second Sight The Long Riders blu-ray? It's only for sale by Fulfilled by Amazon sellers & thus Amazon won't ship it to the US.

kekid

#282 Post by kekid » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:36 pm

PfR73 wrote:Does anyone know why Amazon UK doesn't sell the Second Sight The Long Riders blu-ray? It's only for sale by Fulfilled by Amazon sellers & thus Amazon won't ship it to the US.
The same is true of Argento's Tenebrae (Arrow Blu Ray). I would like to know the reason as well.

manicsounds

#283 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:32 am

Pepsi

#284 Post by Pepsi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:54 am

Does anyone know why Amazon UK doesn't sell the Second Sight The Long Riders blu-ray? It's only for sale by Fulfilled by Amazon sellers & thus Amazon won't ship it to the US.
The same is true of Argento's Tenebrae (Arrow Blu Ray). I would like to know the reason as well

You can probably bypass that going trough a link from Blu-ray.com or dvdbeaver. It's the same opposite, ordering from US to Europe, but using Blu-ray com or a DVDBeaver link you get the seller Amazon, and not "fullfilled by amazon" links! So get the title from Blu-ray.com, press the "buy now" link. I think it should work!

MichaelB

#285 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Isn't Arrow's Tenebrae (or at least the good one) still a Zavvi exclusive?

manicsounds

#286 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:18 pm

MichaelB wrote:Isn't Arrow's Tenebrae (or at least the good one) still a Zavvi exclusive?
not anymore?

Adam X

#287 Post by Adam X » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 am

Or you could try Arrow's own store.

manicsounds

#288 Post by manicsounds » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:55 am

bluraydefinition review of "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre"

So it looks like "Making Grandpa" was not carried over on this edition, yet it is available on the US 40th Anniversary release.

Rupert Pupkin

#289 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:28 am

I read somewhere (I don't remember exactly the thread but it was on blu-ray.com forum) that the US release of the x4 restoration of the Texas Chainsaw had a pressing problem with the disk and that's what a good news that the UK release didn't have this problem.
Do you know where I could find more info about this? Can I order the US disk now ?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#290 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:33 am

The problems are extremely minor but you can read about them here

kidc85

#291 Post by kidc85 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Penelope Spheeris’ iconic music documentaries The Decline of Western Civilization have been at the top of fans’ most wanted DVD list for many many years and now thanks to Second Sight Films they are set to get their first ever UK DVD and Blu-ray release.

This celebrated and infamous anthology chronicles L.A.’s hardcore punk phenomenon, the hair-metal movement at its pinnacle in the late-eighties and the late-nineties gutter-punk scene and will be released on 27 July 2015 as The Decline of Western Civilization Box Set complete with a slew of superb extras.

pointless

#292 Post by pointless » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:38 pm

Ghost Story (John Irvin, 1981) - late 2015

pointless

#293 Post by pointless » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 pm

The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Sign of Four - April 25th

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Douglas Hickox, 1983)
Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary by Sherlock Holmes expert David Stuart Davies
    Newly-commissioned sleeve art from legendary artist Graham Humphreys
The Sign of Four (Desmond Davis, 1983)
Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary by Sherlock Holmes expert David Stuart Davies
    Newly-commissioned sleeve art from legendary artist Graham Humphreys

AidanKing

#294 Post by AidanKing » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:16 am

Second Sight appear to be releasing a 30th anniversary edition of Absolute Beginners on BluRay and DVD. There's a short review in Sight and Sound this month that seems fair on the film's ambition and achievement, describing it as ultimately falling apart but pointing out that it is as much about the eighties as the fifties, praising the opening tracking shot and arguing that there's much to enjoy and be impressed by if you look at it as a series of five minute segments.

Given the sterling work the BFI did on Revolution, I had hoped they'd be releasing Absolute Beginners too but you can't have everything.

I'd argue that the three films that destroyed Goldcrest (The Mission being the third) are all highly underrated (even if they're not completely successful) but I imagine some people might think I was a bit mad to do so.

RossyG

#295 Post by RossyG » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:15 am

I'm fond of Absolute Beginners but it's an odd bird. It has a weird generation gap thing going on too. Almost every actor over thirty is hamming it up, whilst the younger cast are all wooden. Visually interesting with plenty of good music, though.

AidanKing

#296 Post by AidanKing » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:06 am

RossyG wrote:It has a weird generation gap thing going on too. Almost every actor over thirty is hamming it up, whilst the younger cast are all wooden.
That's a really interesting observation and an accurate one too. I hadn't really thought of it before. On reflection, I suspect the hamming it up might be a deliberate stylistic choice, but I'm not so sure about the woodenness.

RossyG

#297 Post by RossyG » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:08 am

Pure speculation, but I've always thought it was a result of a director more interested in the visuals than the performances. Many British performers have a tendency for ham if left alone (the likes of Lionel Blair and Steven Berkoff need no encouragement). And maybe the young were chosen because of their looks rather than acting ability. Without direction they just recited their lines.

The film is very stylistic so the hamming - I could be polite and call it the raised level of performance - fits fairly well. The woodenness of the male and female juvenile leads however remains a liability.

Calvin

#298 Post by Calvin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 am

From Facebook:
We’re very excited to be working on Blu-ray releases of two German epics for later in the year: Fassbinder’s BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ and the new restoration of Reitz’s HEIMAT. We have a busy summer ahead with a lot planned for both releases. More release announcements to year end to follow shortly….

M Sanderson

#299 Post by M Sanderson » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Is Creepshow going to be reissued like Re-animator was after the LE sold out?

Or have the rights expired?

What A Disgrace

#300 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 pm

I missed out on Creepshow, so I'm hoping they either do re-release it, or Arrow have nabbed the rights.