Nekromantik / Nekromantik 2

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

antnield

Nekromantik / Nekromantik 2

#1 Post by antnield » Thu May 29, 2014 11:39 am

DEATH IS JUST THE BEGINNING

Nekromantik is the one-of-a-kind shock classic from cult director Jörg Buttgereit, weaving the tale of Rob Schmadtke (Daktari Lorenz), a young man who finds himself competing for the affections of his girlfriend with a putrefying cadaver.

An employee of Joe’s Streetcleaning Agency, a company which cleans up after grisly accidents, Rob takes advantage of his profession to indulge in his chosen hobby – the collection of body parts. Then, one day Rob, brings home an entire decomposing corpse, much to the delight of girlfriend Betty. There follows a twisted love triangle, resulting in some of the most shocking scenes ever committed to celluloid.

Nearly 30 years after its original release, Arrow Video is proud to present this classic of underground horror cinema – finally classified for UK release in its fully unexpurgated form.

CONTENTS
  • High Definition Bluray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of three Buttgereit films: Nekromantik (1987), Hot Love (1985) [29 mins] and J.B.’s Horror Heaven (1984) [23 mins]
  • Optional English subtitles for all three films
  • Nekromantik audio commentary with Jörg Buttgereit and co-writer Franz Rodenkirchen
  • Hot Love audio commentary with Buttgereit
  • Horror Heaven audio commentary with Buttgereit
  • Director’s Introduction to Nekromantik
  • Alternative “Grindhouse” version of Nekromantik, transferred from the only existing 35mm print [Blu-ray only]
  • In Conversation with The Death King – a brand-new 2014 interview with Buttgereit Morbid Fascination: The Nekromantik Legacy – a brand-new 2014 documentary looking at the impact of the film on the horror scene both in the UK and abroad, featuring interviews with genre critic Alan Jones, Marc Morris, producer of Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide Parts 1 & 2 and Buttgereit biographer David Kerekes
  • Q&A with Jörg Buttgereit recorded at Glasgow’s Centre for Contemporary Arts (2014)
  • The Making of Nekromantik – A vintage featurette including behind the scenes footage, viewable with two different audio tracks: an English commentary featuring Buttgereit, co-author Franz Rodenkirchen and David Kerekes, and a German-language audio track featuring radio interviews with Buttgereit, Rodenkirchen and producer Manfred Jelinski, viewable with optional English subtitles
  • Nekromantik Featurette – A look back at the film’s production, featuring interviews with Buttgereit and Jelinski, produced for the film’s 10 year anniversary German VHS release
  • Nekromantik Premiere – short featurette comprised of footage from the film’s premiere in Berlin, January 1988
  • “Das Letzte” – short featurette comprising footage from the 1985 premiere of Hot Love
  • Two Buttgereit-directed music videos: ‘I Can’t Let Go’ by Shock Therapy (1995) and ‘Lemmy I’m a Feminist’ by Half Girl (2013)
  • Complete collection of Buttgereit film trailers: Nekromantik, Der Todesking, Nekromantik 2, Schramm
  • Extensive image gallery including behind-the-scenes stills, rare promotional material and the German-language Nekromantik der Komik, from Berlin comic artist Fil, reproduced in its entirety
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Godmachine

THE RETURN OF THE LOVING DEAD

Monika isn’t like other young women. She shares her small flat with Rob, a recently disinterred corpse which serves as the object of her affections. But then she meets good-natured Mark, and soon finds herself torn between the prospect of a ‘normal’ life with a living, breathing partner and her overwhelming desire for her rotting bed-fellow.

Once prosecuted in its native Germany for “glorifying violence”, Jörg Buttgereit’s follow-up to his ground-breaking Nekromantik is just as shocking as its reputation would suggest. But it’s also a profoundly moving (if decidedly twisted) love story, and a thought provoking meditation on the nature of life and death.
  • High Definition transfer approved by director Jörg Buttgereit
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
  • Original Stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Audio commentary with Buttgereit, co-writer Franz Rodenkirchen and actors Monika M. and Mark Reeder
  • Introduction to the film with Buttgereit, Reeder, Monika M. and producer Manfred Jelinski
  • Masters of Life and Death – a brand new documentary looking at the film’s production and release history, featuring interviews with Buttgereit, Reeder, Monika M. and Jelinski
  • City of the Loving Dead – a walking tour of some of the original Berlin locations with Reeder and Jelinski
  • Necropolis: Jörg Buttgereit’s Berlin – film scholar Dr. Marcus Stiglegger on the significance of the German capital as the backdrop for Nekromantik 2
  • The Making of Nekromantik 2 – vintage documentary viewable with two different audio tracks: an English track comprising audio interviews with Buttgereit, Rodenkirchen and Monika M., and a German track featuring radio interviews with Buttgereit and Rodenkirchen, with optional English subtitles
  • Nekro Waltz: The Music of Nekromantik 2 – Reeder discusses his work on the film’s score
  • Outtakes Reel
  • Nekromantik 2 Livekonzert – footage from the 20th anniversary Nekromantik 2 concert, with Monika M. and friends performing the live score
  • Nekromantik 2 Livekonzert – the complete 20-track audio recording of the concert [BD/DVD-ROM content]
  • Two Buttgereit short films: Bloody Excess in the Leader’s Bunker (Blutige Exzesse im Führerbunker, 1982) and A Moment of Silence at the Grave of Ed Gein (2012)
  • Two Buttgereit-directed music videos: ‘Rise Up’ by Die Krupps (1997), starring Monika M., and ‘Die Frau in der Musik’ by Stereo Total (2007)
  • Complete collection of Buttgereit feature film trailers
Extensive image gallery

Dr Amicus

Re: Nekromantik

#2 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu May 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Blimey, now that's something I never expected to see on a UK label...

Any word / expectation that this is going to be uncut (perhaps not the best word to use...)? I can't see the blog (it's blocked on my work account!) so apologies if this is covered in that.

antnield

#3 Post by antnield » Thu May 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Arrow Video have confirmed on Facebook that it'll be uncut.

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm

It wasn't so much "banned" as "never submitted". Although I suspect the James Ferman-era BBFC would indeed have turned it down flat.

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:54 pm

I guess the completely out of nowhere scene involving the fluffy bunny is OK because it was going to have happened anyway!

While I'll wait to see what the extras are on this one to see whether I can justify the wary glances that I might receive from owning two copies of this film, I do hope that we might see more Buttgereit releases. I'm particularly interested in getting a chance to see Der Todesking, which I missed the briefly available Screen Edge VHS of back in the 1990s.

Or could Arrow licence Lynne Stopkewich's Kissed for release at the same time, a film which basically replays Nekromantik 2 through an arthouse filter?

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 29, 2014 3:01 pm

colinr0380 wrote:While I'll wait to see what the extras are on this one to see whether I can justify the wary glances that I might receive from owning two copies of this film,
I own four (and soon to be five) copies of Borowczyk's The Beast, and it's not at all because I'm secretly into bestiality. In fact, it's far from my favourite Borowczyk film, but it just so happens that the Italian and French DVDs all had rare short films (and different rare short films).

colinr0380

#7 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:10 pm

And Nekromantik and The Beast are also both films that involve spectacular prosthetic work in their respective climaxes!

Oh my, in addition to the bunny I've just remembered the eyeball scene from this film, which is one of the few things in any film to almost make me vomit!

From your comment I wonder if we could hope for some rare Buttgereit films! There were certainly a number included on Barrel's various US DVD releases, and I would especially highlight an extra from Barrel's Schramm DVD - the spectacular long take, slow push-in trudging, screaming, death-march music video he did for the song Die Neue Zeit by Mutter.

Gaddis

#8 Post by Gaddis » Thu May 29, 2014 4:58 pm

I wonder if there's any chance of the sequel as well, I remember being oddly moved by it. Strangely affecting.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Nekromantik 2 was a first date film for me, way back in 1992. Her choice.

perkizitore

#10 Post by perkizitore » Thu May 29, 2014 7:33 pm

I hope for your sake you didn't end up marrying her! :P

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 29, 2014 7:35 pm

I can't believe I remember this (he's talked about it before), but I believe she didn't like it any more than he did

Adam X

#12 Post by Adam X » Fri May 30, 2014 9:55 am

Really good news, and like Colin, I hope this might lead to more Buttgereit releases (hopefully with the meat of the Barrel Entertainment extras? Soundtrack CDs?!), particularly Schramm. Even if it does leave me feeling a bit dirty afterwards. At least there's no need to be left wondering if Cult Epics will ever release their promised Blu-Ray.
colinr0380 wrote:I'm particularly interested in getting a chance to see Der Todesking, which I missed the briefly available Screen Edge VHS of back in the 1990s.
Colin, there is this release of Der Todesking (from Germany, I'm fairly certain) which is entirely English-friendly including the booklet, and I've always felt was mostly what we would've gotten from Barrel had they not folded.

colinr0380

#13 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Neat, I'll have to look into that one! I'll wait to see what happens with Arrow though, and it would probably be a coup if they could release the Buttgereit film that Barrel never managed to get to produce.

I'm glad there is another fan of Schramm! I think that is my 'favourite' Buttgereit film (although favourite might not be the best word! Most tolerable, perhaps?), despite the horrific dental and penis nailing scenes! I particularly like the couple of bible bashers who turn up at our lonely weirdo's door halfway through, which for me immediately groups that scene together with similar ones in Atom Egoyan's Felicia's Journey and Gus Van Sant's Last Days! And I remember Monika M. being absolutely beautiful! (Buttgereit's films often feel much more biased towards the more proactive, pragmatic female characters than the self-destructively pathetic male leads)

Adam, your comment about the soundtracks reminds me that, as with Cannibal Holocaust, the Nekromantik films also have lyrical soundtracks layered on top of the most gag-inducing scenes! While I rarely watch the Barrel discs of these films, as with Cannibal Holocaust's score I have the CD ripped onto my iPod and play the soundtrack regularly!

Norbie

#14 Post by Norbie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:58 am

It's mentioned that this will be an uncut release. However, the film does have a scene where we see the slaying of a rabbit. So could this go through the censors?

Calvin

Nekromantik

#15 Post by Calvin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:01 pm

Norbie wrote:It's mentioned that this will be an uncut release. However, the film does have a scene where we see the slaying of a rabbit. So could this go through the censors?
It has already been passed uncut by the BBFC, so that isn't just wishful thinking on Arrow's part

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:25 pm

If it's a clean kill, the current BBFC interpretation of the 1937 Animals Act says it's fine, because it doesn't technically infringe the Act's ban on "the cruel infliction of pain or terror" or "cruel goading of an animal to fury".

The animal itself might disagree, mind.

colinr0380

#17 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:47 pm

I think it is a clean kill - it is a bizarre segue that occurs very near the beginning of the film into obviously different quality footage (creating a more verite feel) showing someone efficiently bopping a rabbit on the head and skinning it. I remember feeling a great need to rewatch Monty Python and The Holy Grail straight after I saw this film just to even the score a little for rabbit-kind!

antnield

#18 Post by antnield » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:19 pm

3-DISC DIRECTOR-APPROVED LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of three Buttgereit films: Nekromantik (1987), Hot Love (1985) [29 mins] and Horror Heaven (1984) [23 mins]
- Optional English subtitles for all three films
- Limited Edition packaging featuring new artwork by Gilles Vranckx
- Individually-numbered #/3,000 Certificate
- Set of 5 Exclusive Limited Edition Nekromantik “polaroid” postcards
- Exclusive Limited Edition 100-page book.

DISC 1 [BLU-RAY] & DISC 2 [DVD] – NEKROMANTIK & JÖRG BUTTGEREIT SHORT FILMS

- Nekromantik audio commentary with Jörg Buttgereit and co writer Franz Rodenkirchen
- Hot Love audio commentary with Buttgereit
- Horror Heaven audio commentary with Buttgereit
- Director’s introduction to Nekromantik
- Alternative “Grindhouse Version” of Nekromantik, newly-transferred for this release from the only existing 35mm print [Blu-ray only]
- In Conversation with The Death King – A brand-new 2014 interview with Buttgereit conducted exclusively for this release
- Morbid Fascination: The Nekromantik Legacy – A brand-new 2014 documentary looking at the impact of the film on the horror scene both in the UK and abroad, featuring interviews with genre critic Alan Jones, Marc Morris, producer of Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide Parts 1 & 2, and Buttgereit biographer David Kerekes
- Q&A with Buttgereit recorded at Glasgow’s Centre for Contemporary Arts (2014)
- The Making of Nekromantik – A vintage documentary featuring a wealth of behind-the-scenes footage, newly-transferred in HD and viewable with two different audio tracks: an English commentary with Buttgereit, co-author Franz Rodenkirchen and David Kerekes, and a German-language audio track featuring radio interviews with Buttgereit, Rodenkirchen and producer Manfred Jelinski
- Nekromantik Featurette – A look back at the film’s production, featuring interviews with Buttgereit and Jelinski, produced for the film’s 10-year anniversary German VHS release
- Nekromantik Premiere – A short featurette comprised of footage from the film’s premiere in Berlin, January 1988
- “Das Letzte” – A short featurette comprising footage from the 1985 premiere of Hot Love
- Horror Heaven trailer featuring outtakes from the film
- Two Buttgereit-directed music videos: ‘I Can’t Let Go’ by Shock Therapy (1995) and ‘Lemmy, I’m a Feminist’ by Half Girl (2013)
- Complete collection of Buttgereit feature film trailers: Nekromantik, Der Todesking, Nekromantik 2 and Schramm
- Extensive image gallery including behind-the-scenes stills and the rare, surrealist German-language Nekromantik comic by Berlin artist Fil, reproduced in its entirety.

DISC 3 [CD] – NEKROMANTIK SOUNDTRACK: ULTIMATE EDITION - LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE

- 27-track CD featuring the complete Nekromantik soundtrack composed and performed by star Daktari Lorenz and musicians John Boy Walton and Hermann Kopp, plus rare tracks from Hot Love.

100-PAGE BOOK - ‘ROMANCE IS DEAD’ - LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE

- Exclusive perfect-bound book featuring a new article on Nekromantik from critic Graham Rae, alongside pieces from writers David Kerekes (Sex Murder Art: The Films of Jörg Buttgereit), Kier-La Janisse (House of Psychotic Women), Linnie Blake (The Wounds of Nations ) and an archive interview with real-life necrophile Karen Greenlee, all illustrated with new artwork and original archive stills.

EddieLarkin

#19 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:26 pm

Wow, that's quite an improvement on the Cult Epics release. For £15 (at Zavvi) that is quite the bargain.

EddieLarkin

#20 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 pm

and an archive interview with real-life necrophile Karen Greenlee, all illustrated with new artwork and original archive stills
I just noticed that. I always felt the one thing missing from Arrow's release of The Beast was an interview with a real life zoophile. I'm sure it'll be an interesting read (could do without the pictures though =;)

chatterjees

#21 Post by chatterjees » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:37 pm

I was getting tired of that black cover art. Now, in addition to all the features, I think the new cover art is also brilliant. Unfortunately, its pushed back too. After seeing the detailed description of the features, I guess I will not mind waiting little longer.

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:54 pm

Things have been insanely busy at Arrow over the last few weeks, what with the USA launch plans on top of an already very full schedule - to put this into all too personal perspective, it's now nearly 3am, I've had two hours' sleep since Sunday morning, and I've been working pretty much a solid fortnight inc. weekends. Although I might actually be able to get to bed in the next few minutes if this render finishes on schedule.

Arrow

#23 Post by Arrow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:07 am

MichaelB wrote:Things have been insanely busy at Arrow over the last few weeks, what with the USA launch plans on top of an already very full schedule - to put this into all too personal perspective, it's now nearly 3am, I've had two hours' sleep since Sunday morning, and I've been working pretty much a solid fortnight inc. weekends. Although I might actually be able to get to bed in the next few minutes if this render finishes on schedule.
Jesus man, go to sleep. We'll all watch something from our kevyip piles until the Arrow released come out. Good work.

David M.

#24 Post by David M. » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:52 am

Alas, we cannot sleep until everything's been delivered, lest Christmas be canceled!

(About this time last year I had to personally courier the replication master for one of the Cinema Paradiso discs to Sony DADC in Enfield for the same reason. Fortunately now we have a fiber connection!)

Adam X

#25 Post by Adam X » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:26 am

I'd personally like to challenge Arrow to make my copy's of Barrel's other Buttgereit films just as worthless as they're making their edition of Nekromantik by putting out this stunning package. Very glad you managed to fit Horror Heaven in here too. Everyone'll be humming Captain Berlin's theme song at Xmas.

And for those who haven't seen beyond the black place holder art...