By Rockular Demand: A Flintstones Thread

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

By Rockular Demand: A Flintstones Thread

#1 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 27, 2014 5:09 pm

captveg wrote:8/19/14

The Flintstones (1994)
Is their market movies everyone has blocked from their memories?

CSM126

Re: Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#2 Post by CSM126 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:13 pm

I wish I could say I had ever blocked The Flintstones from my memory. Couldn't pull it off. *shudder*

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 27, 2014 5:16 pm

I saw it when it was released theatrically, let's see how well I do with remembering the cast: John Goodman as Fred, Rick Moranis as Barney, Rosie O'Donnell as Betty, and Elizabeth Perkins as Wilma. And I think Elizabeth Taylor was in there somewhere? I can't remember anything else about it other than that and that it had like thirty credited writers

EDIT: Just looked it up. Definitely forgot about Halle Berry and Kyle MacLachlan, though now I'm also remembering the latter's outfit. Dann Florek played Mr Slate? Now that I want to see! (Note: I do not want to [re]see this)

CSM126

#4 Post by CSM126 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Saw it theatrically as well. I was seven years old at the time and even at that young and easily- entertained age, I was extremely grateful for the two times my dad took me out for a bathroom break because the film was just insufferable.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Yes, I distinctly remember seeing it while on vacation with my mom and we both walked out shrugging and no one in the audience really seemed to like it. But I do recall McDonalds had some awesome tie-in Flintstones glassware at the time that I drank milk out of for the next five or six years

Gregory

#6 Post by Gregory » Tue May 27, 2014 5:30 pm

McDonalds also offered Happy Meal toy tie-ins that resembled very poor, rough plastic approximations of Goodman, Moranis et al.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#7 Post by cdnchris » Tue May 27, 2014 5:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:I can't remember anything else about it other than that and that it had like thirty credited writers
And one of those 30 thought someone having the name Sharon STONE was funny. (EDIT: or more correctly, one of them and then the others that followed doing rewrites thought it was funny)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 27, 2014 5:41 pm

Are you saying they should have made a boulder choice?

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:41 pm

I don't mind The Flintstones and find myself revisiting it every few years or so for some undemanding fun. It is one of those films that feels perfectly cast and looks great but has the problem that it just doesn't spark any interest or excitement in its storyline. And the Flintstones and the Rubbles falling out with each other over class divisions and snobbery is one of those contrivances to create drama that makes all the characters act stupidly and makes them all seem pretty insufferable and self-obsessed for a large chunk of the film.

Although The Flintstones (with its Elizabeth Taylor cameo) looks like a faithful masterpiece compared to The Flintstones In Viva Rock Vegas which, to my mind at least, wrecked the few things that the first film got right and didn't fix the issues with the weak and contrived plot. Although I suppose there is only so much you can do with material based on the original cartoon, which wasn't really known for its detailed storylines! Viva Rock Vegas was part of that weird trend of recast (i.e. cheaper, presumably) younger actors in prequel comedies (Joan Collins is the younger version of Liz Taylor apparently!) that also produced Dumb and Dumberer: When Harold Met Lloyd.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue May 27, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 27, 2014 5:44 pm

Now comes the real test: I haven't seen it, but lets see how much I know about the sequel: It had Mark Addy from the Full Monty as Fred and that's all I remember

EDIT: Looked it up. Joan Collins as Elizabeth Taylor's character is hilarious casting

colinr0380

#11 Post by colinr0380 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Darn, you found that just as I edited my post!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#12 Post by cdnchris » Tue May 27, 2014 5:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:Are you saying they should have made a boulder choice?
I laughed harder at that than the Sharon Stone joke

The Narrator Returns

#14 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue May 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Guys, there's a Flintstones thread split with your names on it, and that's not going to rock (having not seen it, I'm at least 99.42% sure that joke was in the actual movie).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Yabba Dabba Don't

PfR73

#16 Post by PfR73 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:00 am

domino harvey wrote:Now comes the real test: I haven't seen it, but lets see how much I know about the sequel: It had Mark Addy from the Full Monty as Fred and that's all I remember

EDIT: Looked it up. Joan Collins as Elizabeth Taylor's character is hilarious casting
I haven't seen it, but isn't Alan Cumming the Great Gazoo? I can't believe they actually put that character in the movie

Feego

#17 Post by Feego » Wed May 28, 2014 9:46 am

Don't forget the B-52s were in the first movie. I believe they were billed as the B.C.-52s.

CSM126

#18 Post by CSM126 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:48 am

PfR73 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Now comes the real test: I haven't seen it, but lets see how much I know about the sequel: It had Mark Addy from the Full Monty as Fred and that's all I remember

I haven't seen it, but isn't Alan Cumming the Great Gazoo? I can't believe they actually put that character in the movie
Yes he is. A terrifying effect where they put his head on a claymation body Ala Pee Wee's Playhouse. Also: Jane Krakowski as Betty, Kristen Johnson as Wilma and Stephen Baldwin as Barney in a Razzie-nominated performance (lost to Barry Pepper in Battlefield Earth, which I can't argue with). Oh, and Greg from Dharma and Greg playing a so-called Chip Rockefeller, because I guess Rock Hudson was too easy a joke. I don't know why I watched Viva Rock Vegas- masochism I guess. It's the cheapest-looking thing (very obvious plastic boulders all over the place) and it's dreadfully stupid (as you would expect).

Oops, almost forgot Ann-Margaret's VoiceOver cameo as Ann-Margrock!

Feego

#19 Post by Feego » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 am

This really should be its own thread by now, but I just remembered the most disturbing part of the Flintstones movie -- when a pterodactyl takes a massive crap on someone's car.

colinr0380

Re: By Rockular Demand: A Flintstones Thread

#20 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:43 am

The above reminds me that Alan Cumming also played the bad guy in another terrible film, Son of the Mask! But then I just have to remember his eau de cologne advert and can forgive him again!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: By Rockular Demand: A Flintstones Thread

#21 Post by swo17 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:46 am

Hey, stay on topic--this is a Flintstones thread!