Major New Films Getting DVD-Only Releases

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Mr Sausage

Major New Films Getting DVD-Only Releases

#26 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 am

A VPN or a firefox add-on like Proxtube ought to open up hulu for you. Both work for me.

EddieLarkin

Re: Major New Films Getting DVD-Only Releases

#27 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:29 pm

Yes, Hulu is available to us in the UK if you don't mind a bit of faffing. Hola Unblocker is another good VPN. You then just need a US Paypal account, and to use a valid US zip code when filling in your billing address for your card. You'll then be able to pay the subscription fee and have full access.

Mr Sausage

#28 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Proxtube is the easiest as it's free and a simple add-on for Firefox. VPNs are good in the long run, tho'.

EddieLarkin

#29 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:09 am

Just to be clear, when I referred to paying a subscription fee I meant for Hulu. Hola Unblocker itself is free.

ianungstad

#30 Post by ianungstad » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:41 am

Lionsgate replied to an email I wrote a few weeks back regarding Enemy. They said that there is no information regarding a future blu release for the film in the US. A24 tweeted that reports of Enemy and Under the Skin getting dvd only releases is not accurate but look up any US retailer such as Amazon Best Buy or Barnes and Noble and only the dvds are solicited.

What do I think is going on? I think Criterion has the blu ray/special edition rights. Circumstantial evidence: Enemy artwork commissioned by Sam's Myth; Under the Skin by Neil Kellerhouse (both Criterion regulars); barebones Lionsgate dvds; company founded by former co-founder of Oscilloscope (good friends of Criterion).

With the IFC titles we know that Criterion is unable or unwilling to follow a traditional release window with editions often taking over 12 months to get announced and I think these barebone dvds are for the mass market similar to recent releases like Blue is the Warmest Colour or the dvd version of A Hard Day's Night. Hopefully this theory proves correct!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#31 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 am

I don't know that it's healthy to get our hopes up before some kind of precedent for this has been set. Also (not having seen the film yet), Enemy doesn't quite strike me as the sort of thing that Criterion would release.

criterion10

#32 Post by criterion10 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:54 pm

A24 Twitter wrote:UTS is definitely getting blu ray. still tbd for Enemy, but trying hard

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Sounds like A24 didn't read their distro deal with Lionsgate and just assumed Blu-rays would be automatic

knives

#34 Post by knives » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:32 pm

That's what I assume too. They probably thought that giving Blu rights meant the same as using them.

Movie-Brat

#35 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 pm

If that's the case then, oh dear. Lionsgate is not a company to be trusted, aren't they?

criterion10

#36 Post by criterion10 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:18 pm

A24 has now tweeted that Enemy will be receiving a Blu-Ray release.

ianungstad

#37 Post by ianungstad » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 pm

In spite of A24's Twitter comments; there is still no sign of a blu ray release for either Enemy or Under the Skin. A preorder page for Locke showed up on Amazon today. Again; it seems to be dvd only as there's no preorder page for a blu. I wish they would just be upfront and explain what their home video plans are. Keeping everyone in the dark is not doing them any favors.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#38 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 pm

sir_luke

#40 Post by sir_luke » Sun May 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Maidentrip, one of my favorite films of the year thus far, only has a DVD listing on Amazon.