281 Jules and Jim

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
manicsounds

Re: 281 Jules and Jim

#151 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Looks like the "error" from the previous DVD has been corrected.

feihong

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.

#152 Post by feihong » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:00 am

I'm really surprised by how many people I read on this site hating Jules et Jim; disliking Jules et Jim; dismissing Jules et Jim. Every so often the film gets mentioned on a thread in some context, and immediately someone drops in to hate the film, and it seems to happen every time the film is mentioned. That doesn't happen to most of the films mentioned on the board. Not that it's an invalid reaction; but I'd definitely like to understand why it is that it engenders such ire. It's my favorite Truffaut film, and one of the movies I'd highly recommend to people wanting to get into movies that aren't American...and in recent years I have heard from friends that they dislike the film as well. But no one ever explains their dislike to me. How can you actually hate this film?

Also I second mfunk9786's appraisal of the box. A thing of beauty.

knives

#153 Post by knives » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:15 am

I can't speak for everybody and for me it is more apathy than hate, but while the film has some positives (silent in widescreen is an interesting concept) it really feels like the first major step to Truffaut becoming the hohum director he would grow to be with a weak story featuring poor characterization that leaves the themes feeling hallow. The greatness, for me, of those first two films is how he really makes you feel fully as the characters when he wants you to. Here it is more like observing shallow people being shallow and thinking they're cute or romantic or some such. After Truffaut did still manage some great films, but here is the first film that really felt like it was coming from somebody who didn't feel the need to contribute anything to the medium artistically again.

feihong

#154 Post by feihong » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:11 am

That's very interesting. For myself, I've always found it easy to get swept up in the feelings of the characters in Jules et Jim; I find their characterization just as immersive as that of Antoine in The 400 Blows or Charlie in Shoot the Piano Player. So what is it that makes you feel the characters in Jules et Jim are shallow?

hearthesilence

#155 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:38 am

Wow, do people here really dislike this film? My tastes for his work has changed over the years (by that, I mean I value some of his overlooked films a lot more now while others I liked in high school - such as Small Change and Day for Night - have fallen way out of favor), but Jules et Jim is still my favorite, my opinion of it hasn't diminished one bit.

manicsounds

#156 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:12 am

Would Jules & Jim also qualify as an early "manic pixie dream girl" movie?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#157 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 am

SpoilerShow
Only if saving a guy now means killing them!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#158 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Manic pixie nightmare girl

movielocke

#159 Post by movielocke » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 pm

I know I loved this as a teenager, but I haven't seen it in a long time. I'm surprised it engenders hate, I thought it was pretty haute shit back then.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#160 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:06 pm

manicsounds wrote:Would Jules & Jim also qualify as an early "manic pixie dream girl" movie?
The guy who coined the phrase thinks so.

feihong

#161 Post by feihong » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:37 pm

I read lots of people on here who don't like the movie, and I've also read a lot of what I might call faint praise for the film, making large of the notion that the principle characters in the film are foolish/irresponsible, etc. I feel as if the situation of this film seems to pick of every moral condemnation modern people can muster. There's a lot of special frustration and hate set aside for Catherine--as if she is a particularly odious figure. I do think you can read Catherine as the "villain" of the piece--the woman who aspires to drive a wedge betwixt these great friends--but to me that's an oversimplification of Catherine which ignores her unique qualities, her larger ambitions, talent, vivacity, warmth...she needs to feel the depth of the impression she leaves, and she does seem to see Jules and Jim's friendship in the way of that. It doesn't make me hate her.

MichaelB

#163 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Where does he actually utter that sentence? I can't see it in the review.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#164 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:02 pm

Click on Overview, it appears just below the first set of screencaps at the top:

MichaelB

#165 Post by MichaelB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Fair enough - I only read the main review.

pro-bassoonist

#166 Post by pro-bassoonist » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:
The sentence is actually not part of the review. I like this disc a lot, but not that much. I will check with the developers, but I am pretty sure that this is a system-generated text.

Gregory

#167 Post by Gregory » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:54 pm

It must be. Search results show the same sentence attached to Benjamin Button, Taxi Driver, Godfather Collection, Thin Red Line, On the Waterfront, The Leopard, Lawrence of Arabia, Tess, Marketa Lazarova, Investigation of a Citizen, Autumn Sonata, Titanic, Sound of Music, Wall*E, Seventh Seal, Third Man, Voyage to Italy, Heaven's Gate, Medium Cool, Game of Thrones 3rd Season, Double Life of Veronique, Blade Runner, and Star Trek.

Red Screamer

#168 Post by Red Screamer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Ah that makes sense.
My apologies

Yaanu

#169 Post by Yaanu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Gregory wrote:It must be. Search results show the same sentence attached to Benjamin Button, Taxi Driver, Godfather Collection, Thin Red Line, On the Waterfront, The Leopard, Lawrence of Arabia, Tess, Marketa Lazarova, Investigation of a Citizen, Autumn Sonata, Titanic, Sound of Music, Wall*E, Seventh Seal, Third Man, Voyage to Italy, Heaven's Gate, Medium Cool, Game of Thrones 3rd Season, Double Life of Veronique, Blade Runner, and Star Trek.
That makes 24 total. Clearly, there can only be one.
Clearly, we must organize a tournament to determine the best of the best.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#170 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:06 pm

How did Heaven's Gate get a near perfect with so few supplements?

otis

#171 Post by otis » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:07 pm

Gregory wrote:Search results show the same sentence attached to Benjamin Button, Taxi Driver, Godfather Collection, Thin Red Line, On the Waterfront, The Leopard, Lawrence of Arabia, Tess, Marketa Lazarova, Investigation of a Citizen, Autumn Sonata, Titanic, Sound of Music, Wall*E, Seventh Seal, Third Man, Voyage to Italy, Heaven's Gate, Medium Cool, Game of Thrones 3rd Season, Double Life of Veronique, Blade Runner, and Star Trek.
Hence Brando's classic line: "I coulda been a contender for best Blu-ray ever."

MichaelB

#172 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:14 am

pro-bassoonist wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
The sentence is actually not part of the review. I like this disc a lot, but not that much. I will check with the developers, but I am pretty sure that this is a system-generated text.
Yes, you don't normally go in for that kind of hyperbole, which is why I was instinctively suspicious!

hoggle

#173 Post by hoggle » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:05 pm

Jules and Jim was the first film I watched by a New Wave director other than Godard, and I was very much taken aback by how Old Wave it felt. It made me wonder if the aspects I love about Godard, and which I believed to be part of the New Wave makeup -- formal experimentation, political radicalism, an intense desire to create something New -- were limited only to him.

If I watched Jules and Jim on its own terms, I might have found some sort of enjoyment in it, but as a teenager expecting more excitement out of the New Wave, it was incredibly disappointing to me. I always thought of returning to it, but after watching such flat, forgettable films as Fahrenheit 451 and Shoot the Piano Player, it's hard to see the point. From my experience, Truffaut mainly made entertainments, very little close to (pop) art, which would be fine with me if his films were more entertaining. I do like the the 400 Blows and Small Change -- it seems Truffaut worked well with children, and sympathised with them more than his fellows --, but they've been growing worse in hindsight, coloured as they are by what surrounds them.

Or maybe I just didn't care for it because love triangles don't do anything for me.

zedz

#174 Post by zedz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:How did Heaven's Gate get a near perfect with so few supplements?
Correction:
Michael Cimino's domino harvey wrote:How did Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate Directed by Michael Cimino and Reviewed by Michael Cimino, from an Original Idea by Michael Cimino get a near perfect with so few supplements?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#175 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Too soon